View Full Version : Where can I find a silencer? What is it...

05-11-2005, 06:03 AM
I've heard of people using a silencer or some kind of sound plate to dampen exhaust volume on long trips. I love my exhaust, but for 3+ hour drives, would be nice to just have peace and quiet (or at least so I can fully enjoy my music).

Where can I buy one of these? And is it an easy install, on and off each time? DIY?

Thanks in advance.

05-11-2005, 07:10 AM
what exhaust do you have that it is that loud? i guess it is just what is loud to you.

05-11-2005, 07:20 AM
well if you want to quiet down your exhaust you can always install one of these...


Those are baffles that race cars use to quiet down their free flowing exhausts at tracks that have a db limit.

But a Silencer is another name for a muffler.

05-11-2005, 09:55 AM
he's referring to the silencer option in many of the straight through, motorcycle style japanese aftermarket exhausts. It's basically a non perforated stinger baffle that secures via a bolt through the exhaust tip.

joeya103- what exhaust do you have?

05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
He doesn't need it.

05-11-2005, 10:46 AM
i don't want it permanently quieter...i love it for local driving.

i was just wondering if there was such a thing as an add-on for long trips or something. it seems i was confused about what it was though, don't sweat it guys. thanks for the help though.

and it seems evil knows what i need ;)

05-11-2005, 11:33 AM
The types of exhausts that have them are most likely not the kind that would be on your car.