PDA

View Full Version : So when it rain's it pours.

b00gs
04-30-2012, 04:46 PM
ok, so I was driving today and all of a sudden my steering wheel got stiff hard to turn, so I went to pep boys and bought power steering fluid and didn't notice i put it in the "hydraulic fluid box" so I began to drive and then i went to shift my car into gear and it would not move in any gear not even reverse. now here's where i am confused. i thought maybe since i added that power steering fluid in the wrong place it caused my car to die could it? then i thought maybe its the clutch since it wouldn't even stall out. then i noticed this picture,... seems that the cv joint busted. could this be the reason why my car wont go into gear? appreciate the help thanks

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc419/p00st0/20120430_170835.jpg

SinCityA6
04-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Better put the flame suit on cause you are about to get torched.....

B5Burn
04-30-2012, 04:59 PM
I feel like I just witnessed a car accident, still looking around to see if anyone else saw it.

Sorry I don't have any advice other than what I repeat many times a day... Don't try to drive nor start your car. Tow it in and come see me.

Good luck.

B.

BenjaminR
04-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Doesn't look broken its just not bolted to the trans...

Better pray the bolt holes are not stripped out. If not just bolt it back up and use some lock tight on the bolts.

b00gs
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
i hope it just un bolted, but that is the reason it wasn't moving right because it was not bolted in the transmission just trying to get ideas before i start buying bunch of parts and stuff lol

jm121189
05-01-2012, 06:18 AM
I snapped an axle once and the car would still go into gear and you could let the clutch out and see the broken axle spin....I think you are going to have a bunch of problems. Have fun with that.

walky_talky20
05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Another case of the OP not being very clear or detailed at all with respect to the actual symptoms.

First he said "it would not move in any gear not even reverse", which makes sense given that the axle is disconnected.

Then he said "my car wont go into gear", which entirely contradicts the previous statement and is most probably not true. This statement would lead most to believe the shifter is unable to select the gears: that the shifter is not moving properly. We can assume this is not the case. The only issue is that the car is not moving after the gears are [quite successfully] selected.

OP: It appears whomever serviced that axle last did not tighten the bolts to spec. They all came loose and now your car will not move under it's own power. You can be lucky it didn't let go at 90 mph and destroy everything. You may need to replace the axle cup if the threads are significantly damaged. They are exceedingly expensive to buy from the dealer - even an entire used transmission would be cheaper. Also, you should fix up those frayed wires shown in the foreground. That's just not cool.

b00gs
05-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Sorry i was not clear the shifted goes in the gears but will not move. Now you clarify that the axle not being connected is the reason the car don't move. I called a bunch of mechanics and told them the axle is disconnected and they literally said "that shouldn't be a reason i think you need a clutch or transmission" im like really.... just trying to find the part i need to fix it. So i need the front axle.

catbed
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Sorry i was not clear the shifted goes in the gears but will not move. Now you clarify that the axle not being connected is the reason the car don't move. I called a bunch of mechanics and told them the axle is disconnected and they literally said "that shouldn't be a reason i think you need a clutch or transmission" im like really.... just trying to find the part i need to fix it. So i need the front axle.

You NEED to try and tighten those bolts first. The axle not connected is the ONLY reason the car is not moving. Those mechanics don't know what they're talking about. The torsen center diff works in such a way that if an axle is broken or the wheel has 0 traction, the car will go nowhere. All the available torque is going to that corner.

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-01-2012, 08:17 AM
The reason your car is not moving is because the way the difs work in these cars. They direct all the power to the wheel that has the least amount of resistance. In this case your axle that is not connected would have the least amount of resistance so the flange coming off the transmission that is no longer bolted to the axle just spins therefore crippling your car.

Have the car towed to your nearest repair shop.

Jason

b00gs
05-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the help.

morzechowski
05-01-2012, 11:08 AM
There are only 5 things you can add fluid to in your engine bay.

1. Engine Oil into the valve cover

http://tunergarage.net/photo/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1392&g2_serialNumber=2

2. G12 coolant (usually pink or orange) into your coolant tank.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_O9RZSvIy6NU/TCq4YALWBpI/AAAAAAAAARA/g7I22dAoajA/IMG_4244.jpg

3. Brake Fluid

http://gallery.quattroworld.com/d/21878-2/brake_fluid_cap_back_on.jpg

4. And your Power steering fluid CHF11S

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Power-Steering-Fluid-Reservoir-Tank-1-8T-96-01-Audi-A4-B5-8D0-422-373-C-/00/s/ODEzWDEyMDA=/$(KGrHqNHJE4E88eURyqvBPSU8N02)Q~~60_35.JPG

5. Windsheild wiper fluid.. I should not have to post a photo of that [:)]

I am assuming you did put the power steering fluid in the correct spot, or you put it in the brake fluid tank..

As for your axle, have that fixed, take a look at the boots to see if they are cracked or damaged, if so replace.

b00gs
05-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Update!!!! just reconnected the axle.... my baby is running again! much love to all you guys that helped. now to get the damn hydraulic fluid.... lol