PDA

View Full Version : Snub mount install question

roarf
04-29-2012, 05:57 PM
The snub mount on my car is cracked and I need to replace it. Will I need to remove the bumper or jack up the engine in order to replace the snub mount or can I get it in/out without doing any of that? I'm hoping this is just a quick fix, but one of the DIYs I found talked about removing the bumper (I think it was being done on an S4 though). Any help is appreciated.

SS92
04-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Unbolt motor mounts, jack up engine slightly and unbolt snub carrier. That's how I did it on my ATW

Sent from my VivoW using Tapatalk 2

Seerlah
04-29-2012, 06:14 PM
As mentioned above, remove the 3 bolts that hold the cage to the oil pan. Then remove the 2 bottom motor mount nuts, jack up the engine (wood prop and hydraulic jack), slip cage out, take snub mount off, place new one on, install in reverse. But when I did mine, I took off the front bumper and moved the front clip forward. Also, I would take this time to upgrade. 034 w/snub mount bracket is the way to go.

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis-components-audi-a4s4a6s6-snub-mount-with-bracket-early-b5-a4-18t-aebatw-p-558.html

Tip: Place the snub mount in the microwave for a couple seconds to soften the material before placing it onto the vehicle. Otherwise, you will have a b*tch of a time trying to get it on.

SS92
04-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Tip: Place the snub mount in the microwave for a couple seconds to soften the material before placing it onto the vehicle. Otherwise, you will have a b*tch of a time trying to get it on.

This. It took me 30 min to get mine on.

Also, x2 on the 034 cage/snub combo. I wish i went that route.

roarf
04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Sounds good, thanks guys. Anyone know the torque spec for the motor mount nuts or just the standard German torque spec, guten tight [:D]?

Seerlah
04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
I shaved the inside and still had trouble (this was after battling for a while, before even deciding to shave the inside lip a bit). Made a post asking for help, and someone told me to place it in the microwave. Did that, and it popped right on.

coolgraymemo
04-29-2012, 06:34 PM
Unbolt motor mounts, jack up engine slightly and unbolt snub carrier. That's how I did it on my ATW

Can anyone confirm that the process is similar on an AEB? If so, it looks like I'm upgrading my snub mount/bracket when I do motor mounts.

AudiNFS
04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Anyone know if the same install is required for a 2.7?

ianwpb
04-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Anyone know if the same install is required for a 2.7?
Take your bumper off, loosen the lock carrier enough to remove the snub mount bracket from the block. Install new snub mount on to bracket by microwave or a little grease. Loosen the cage attached to the lock carrier. Install the bracket to the block. let the car run with the cage loosened for a bit to let it seat. Tighten bracket. Very simple, you just need to remove the front bumper.

AudiNFS
04-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Take your bumper off, loosen the lock carrier enough to remove the snub mount bracket from the block. Install new snub mount on to bracket by microwave or a little grease. Loosen the cage attached to the lock carrier. Install the bracket to the block. let the car run with the cage loosened for a bit to let it seat. Tighten bracket. Very simple, you just need to remove the front bumper.

Good stuff. Thanks sir[up]

Didn't want to start a whole new thread in the S4 section if I didn't have to

ianwpb
04-29-2012, 07:38 PM
No problem.