PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchasing a 2000 A4 2.8 Quattro...

Kidu
04-27-2012, 03:21 PM
What do you guys think? Are there any major issues I should be concerned with?car details are below...

Blue with grey interior, low mileage (72,000 Km.)
Good condition inside and out.
Includes the following options:
4 wheel drive
Tiptronic transmission
Sports package
Xenon headlights
Sunroof
CD changer
Back up sensors (visual)

walky_talky20
04-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Lots of potential major issues, but the mileage is really low. It's probably a good car. It is 12 years old, though. Some things will need changed just because of time. Quick list of stuff that was probably never done, but should be:

- Timing belt
- Water pump
- Accessory belt
- Automatic transmission fluid change

And other likely items:
- Valve cover gaskets
- Cam chain tensioner gaskets
- Cam plugs

You may want to ask about those things. Also, it is always a good idea to have a mechanic look at the car, on a lift if possible. He would check for things you would have no hope of seeing from above. Things like various leak, axle boots, ball joints, tie rods, brakes, exhaust, and any rusty items. If you are serious about buying the car, they should have no problem letting you do that. You may need to put down a deposit in order to take the car, though (or leave your car there, or something).

FNK
04-27-2012, 08:01 PM
It's a great car and you'll love it even if it's Tip, find a manual if you can at some point you'll wish you bought it manual. But with such low miles, you definitively should consider it.
A complete check up by a mechanic is a must do to know the real condition of the car. As car age, those rubber dry up and harden, there are many *things* to inspect.

howardfootball
04-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Buy it and when you get tired of the tiptronic swap in a manual transmission.

Kidu
04-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the advice/things to look for. I'll definitely ask about this points when I go to look at the car tonight. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks agian!

HerrFunf
05-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Buy it and when you get tired of the tiptronic swap in a manual transmission.

Crazy talk.. I've followed swaps on here and (imo) its the biggest waste of time and money ever, considering you can just buy a manual for about the same price of a tip. There's never a reason to settle on a car that you dont want.

Also.. why a 2.8? ..get used to reading mazdaspeed and wrx license plates.

Symon
05-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Crazy talk.. I've followed swaps on here and (imo) its the biggest waste of time and money ever, considering you can just buy a manual for about the same price of a tip. There's never a reason to settle on a car that you dont want.

I don't think the 5-speed swap is that expensive. If you find the parts for cheap and are thrifty it's pretty affordable. The 1.8T can't touch either of those cars stock or even chipped.

If OP wants reliability pick the 2.8. If you want fun go 1.8.

I don't know that the 2.8 is more reliable first hand but people who have them seem to like them.

HerrFunf
05-01-2012, 08:47 AM
I've owned both and the 2.8 cost less to maintain than the turbo, it was actually a very reliable car. 1.8 has been reliable, just needs more attention to keep it running 100%.
maybe a swap is affordable if time isnt money, but it is. And there's so many cooler things to do to your audi than swap trannies.
A stock b5 1.8 can barely hang with a honda accord.. obviously i'm talking modded 1.8.

walky_talky20
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
My 5MT swap cost me $100. And it was a lot of fun to do. Just like modding, there is a sense of accomplishment that you made your car better: you took it from where it was and made it what you wanted it to be. I don't really see a difference there. And red Audi's are quite hard to come by 'round here. I saw it and I had to have it, Tip or not.

Lornnn
05-01-2012, 03:40 PM

car ownership isn't all about racing entry-level sedans [rolleyes]