PDA

View Full Version : This may sound silly...but..

IKE20VA4
05-10-2005, 12:57 PM
So I just bought a 2001 1.8T qm last month

it has 59k miles on it and hasn't had the timing belt done

I bought a full warranty to 100k miles

the warranty covers the timing belt, tensioner, well basically everything except tires, speakers, and normal wear and tear stuff.

so, my question, should i just wait until the factory specified interval of 90k miles to change it, and if it goes before then, get basically a new motor through my warranty?

Or should I just change it now? It seems kinda silly to change it now when the warranty would pay for it if it went before the factory interval. The warranty will even pay for a rental while it is in the shop.

Or, should I call my warranty company and see what they say if my timing belt blows a hole in my engine before the recommended factory change.

Zodiak
05-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by 20VTURBOA4

Or, should I call my warranty company and see what they say if my timing belt blows a hole in my engine before the recommended factory change.

do this and get it in writing. IIRC some members have had trouble getting their aftermarket warranty to cover damages from timing belt failures

obviouse
05-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Just about any knowledgable audi mech will tell you never to wait longer than 70k. The risk of having it break on you and the damage it could do to your car is just too great.

I'm with Zodiak. Try to get your warranty provider to let you fix it at a reasonable mileage and if they won't, make sure they're covering any damage it does, which can be $2000+ easy with any valve damage. And like he said, get it ALL in writing.

joeya103
05-10-2005, 01:33 PM
get it done now, or maybe even wait 5K miles.

i would never want the belt to break, even if the resulting damage could be fixed by warranty. it just jacks up your car too much, and you might as well prevent anything you can.

fanuvbrak
05-10-2005, 01:40 PM
i was in a very similar situation when mine broke at 70,000. it required a new engine. luckily for me, mine was audi assured, so my engine was replaced with a new OEM longblock (after a nice, two week fight with AoA). be careful what an aftermarket warranty covers as to "new" engine. they may have a dollar limit set that would require a rebuild. my engine, with labor from a dealer would have cost me $5500.

IKE20VA4
05-10-2005, 07:26 PM
i'll talk to my warranty company first and see what they say