PDA

View Full Version : Releasing timing belt tension

B6T
04-25-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm going to be replacing the timing belt on my 1.8T this weekend. However since I'm doing it as an extra-preventative measure because I bought the car used, I'm not going to replace the tensioner or any of the other components. JUST the belt.

Is it possible to release the tension on the belt and then re-tension when the new belt is installed?

I've never done a belt on a 1.8T so I have no idea how the tensioner works. All I know is that it's hydraulic and I'm not sure if those can have the tension released once that release pin is pulled (I think it has a pin...).

Thanks in advance!

jaychen
04-25-2012, 08:57 PM
you can undo the top left bolt, swivel the tensioner out of the way while you remove the belt.. but it will need to be put in a vice to close it back in to put a pin back in to hold it in when you set the timing up again..

seanj130
04-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Umm.... You should do the tensioner... If you read my thread from a few days ago you will see why. You never know if that tensioner has been replaced, there is a reason they recalled the old tensioners... Because they crack in half. If you are already in there it wouldn't be a bad idea

redline380
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
if youre only gonna change one thing, it should be the tensioner, not the belt. with that said, if you dont change the belt, tensioner, and water pump at the same time, you outta be slapped

guy022077
04-26-2012, 05:08 AM
you can also remove the tensioner and use a clamp to slowly work the piston back in, you can hold it in place with some sort of pin with no problem.

however what mileage is the car? and what year?

walky_talky20
04-26-2012, 06:35 AM
I just deleted the hydraulic crap. Not for everyone, but it makes the entire kit with metal pump about $100 cheaper.

Scientist
04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
This one issue I was discussing with my mechanic. He said that 9 out of ten times a belt snap, it is because the tensioner went bad. I tend to believe the guy since all he works on are German cars and Audis are his bread and butter.

If you stop at his shop with an Asian car, he will ask you and not in a polite way to leave his premises. I'm not going to say what he would do if it was a French car.

ianwpb
04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Replace everything while your in there. Like you said, it's used so you don't know what the previous owner did or didn't do.. Save yourself the trouble down the road and do the whole kit.

walky_talky20
04-26-2012, 11:34 AM
If you stop at his shop with an Asian car, he will ask you and not in a polite way to leave his premises.

Probably because he can't make any money off you!

Kidding aside, our shop specializes in VW/Audi and Toyota. So we get an interesting view point on this specific topic. We find that Audi's and VW's are head and shoulders better in driving feel and dynamics, creature comforts, quattro awesomeness (where applicable), and all of that. But the chances of you leaving the shop with a bill over a grand go up by an order of magnitude just by owning one. Certain parts are much higher quality, for example the galvanized body is bar-none the best you can buy. But other parts: plastic water pumps, cooling flanges, PCV system, etc, are of utterly laughable quality in comparison to Toyota counterparts (and they cost more!). As such, we usually only recommend people buy an Audi or VW if they really want the added benefits, and are willing to deal with the often expensive repairs to get there. Obviously IMHO and all of that.

Scientist
04-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Probably because he can't make any money off you!

Easy, he's my son's godfather.

Kidding aside, our shop specializes in VW/Audi and Toyota. So we get an interesting view point on this specific topic. We find that Audi's and VW's are head and shoulders better in driving feel and dynamics, creature comforts, quattro awesomeness (where applicable), and all of that. But the chances of you leaving the shop with a bill over a grand go up by an order of magnitude just by owning one. Certain parts are much higher quality, for example the galvanized body is bar-none the best you can buy. But other parts: plastic water pumps, cooling flanges, PCV system, etc, are of utterly laughable quality in comparison to Toyota counterparts (and they cost more!). As such, we usually only recommend people buy an Audi or VW if they really want the added benefits, and are willing to deal with the often expensive repairs to get there. Obviously IMHO and all of that.

In total agreement. When friends ask me for car opinions I basically tell them the same; if you want a maintenance-free NEW car, get a Japanese one. Actually, Asian these days. If you want to have fun while driving, then get a German car.

One of my friends was very proud of his new G35 purchase and we went for a ride. Very nice. Still he said that it cannot beat the feel of riding on rails when going into a turn as he gets when he rides with me in my Avant.

BTW, my daughter bought a used A4 1.8TQM (she learned to drive on that one) and was rear ended recently. Car was totaled and after getting the insurance check, got herself a Jetta VR6 MANUAL. My son just bought a used Passat 2.8 Tip. I guess my indoctrination worked.

QuattroGinger
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
which motor do you have? reason i ask is i did my AWM last weekend, and the tension roller has a swivel bolt that also puts tension on the belt. i did not try, but you may be able to get enough slack just loosening the roller and turning it and not messing with the tensioner at all. however the AEB and ATW just have a roller with what looks like a non swivel bolt. my water pump was leaking and i went ahead and did everything. the belt wasnt bad but was stretched quite a bit. for $219 from ECS for everything and its only 20 extra minutes of work i would highly recommend it.

did you happen to check the serp belts at all from under the car?

B6T
04-26-2012, 05:21 PM
It's a '97... so it's got an AEB. The PO said the timing belt was done at 120,000km, the car now has 195,000km... which means 75,000km or 46,000 miles in 'Murcan speak on the belt, tensioner and rollers.

I've never seen a tensioner or roller go which is why I chose to purchase just the belt. Also, the belt was only $30 and the basic kit without water pump for this car is like $200, so the tensioner adds quite a lot to the price. And I'm cheap...

jaychen
04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
well you have answered your own question,

just do the belt and pray that the tensioner never lets go (which has happened quite often)..

good luck

redline380
04-26-2012, 05:36 PM
And I'm cheap...

you clearly must be. i mean who would replace that pesky tensioner? if it goes its only a bunch of head work, which we all know is cheap, so it will fit your budget then. plus pistons are cheap, so even if the valves fuck them up, it wont cost that much to replace.

honestly, this is one of the dumbest things ive heard to do on this site. i will have zero sympathy for you if the tensioner fails. absolutely none

bw86
04-26-2012, 06:02 PM
The part that fails is the tensioner most of the time not the belt. Just change everything when your in there....

walky_talky20
04-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Cheapskate AEB t-belt kit:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/ES2090858/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/ES2535074/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/ES1891982/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/Timing_Belt/ES3982/

The stuff to do this right (while still remaining a cheapskate) is only another $80 shipped ($110 shipped, total with the belt). Don't waste an engine over 80 bucks.

B6T
04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
^ Thanks. I'm going to order that stuff.

B6T
04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
honestly, this is one of the dumbest things ive heard to do on this site. i will have zero sympathy for you if the tensioner fails. absolutely none

That's so disappointing. Because the first thing I was going to do if anything happened would be to come on here asking you guys to send me "Get Well Soon" cards to help mend my broken little heart.

Get your head out of your ass... it's a '97... it's worth more in parts with a blown engine than what I paid for it.

ianwpb
04-26-2012, 08:51 PM
That's so disappointing. Because the first thing I was going to do if anything happened would be to come on here asking you guys to send me "Get Well Soon" cards to help mend my broken little heart.

Get your head out of your ass... it's a '97... it's worth more in parts with a blown engine than what I paid for it.

LOL

walky_talky20
04-26-2012, 09:19 PM
You're welcome. Good Luck with the repairs.

redline380
04-26-2012, 09:25 PM

How is trying to help someone save their engine having my head up my ass? The simple fact is you are suppose to change the belt, tensioner, and waterpump at the same time. Everyone knows that. Changing the belt without the tensioner is like driving without car insurance.

As for you saying it's worth more broken than you paid for it, what's stopping you? Part it out already. Why even mess with the belt?

QuattroGinger
04-27-2012, 05:18 AM
Good luck man. Was deff easier job than I was expecting. By no means do I consider myself a mechanic but after getting bumper off I had no need for my printed out DIY.

B5Burn
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Change everything while you're in there. At that high mileage, this is not even an option.

You're choosing to play Russian roulette with your motor over a cpl minutes work and one of the least expensive parts in your motor?

FYI, the consequences of your decision can be upwards of a $1k bill, EASY.

I write them up, every week.

B.

B5Burn
04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Nvm, looks like you're doing that. Lol. But anything else you can hit while having it opened up, should be hit. Pita, do get in there again for a cheap part.

B.