PDA

View Full Version : 034+ Lemforder Transmission mount Combo

woolveren
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I have 034 street density transmission mounts in my car(98 Audi a4 1.8t). Car had some vibrations initially, but its been almost 2500 miles now after installing the mounts. The vibrations which were present initially are settled in now, but still there are some left. I agree that the shifting/ clunking has improved with these mounts, but the vibrations I am getting at high way speeds are becoming intolerable these days. The vibration is not very bad, but I can feel that from the drive train when I go above 70MPH. As a DD driving around 60 miles, I would like to go back to the OEM/ Vibration free mounts.

So today I called Purems and Mike told me that the vibrations are due to the stiffer driver's side 034 mount. He recommended to use OEM/ Lemforder mount on drivers side and to stay with 034 passenger side mount to get away with the vibrations. I then asked my mechanic about this, but it seems like he is having mixed thought on this. He's saying that going with OE mount at one side and a stiffer mount at the other side is not a good idea. So I thought of asking you guys here before getting the Lemforder mount.

Mike was very helpful and am not saying that he's wrong here. I have ordered parts from him before too. So just wanted to get you guys opinion before going further.

RoadRage
04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I've had their street density mounts in my car for 25k+ miles and hardly notice the additional vibration.

Is it possible they sent you the track density mounts?

Are your wheels properly balanced?

Why not just go back to stock mounts if you don't like these? I'm sure someone here would gladly trade you their stock mounts for the 034s.

M-Hood
04-25-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi,

I have 034 street density transmission mounts in my car(98 Audi a4 1.8t). Car had some vibrations initially, but its been almost 2500 miles now after installing the mounts. The vibrations which were present initially are settled in now, but still there are some left. I agree that the shifting/ clunking has improved with these mounts, but the vibrations I am getting at high way speeds are becoming intolerable these days. The vibration is not very bad, but I can feel that from the drive train when I go above 70MPH. As a DD driving around 60 miles, I would like to go back to the OEM/ Vibration free mounts.

So today I called Purems and Mike told me that the vibrations are due to the stiffer driver's side 034 mount. He recommended to use OEM/ Lemforder mount on drivers side and to stay with 034 passenger side mount to get away with the vibrations. I then asked my mechanic about this, but it seems like he is having mixed thought on this. He's saying that going with OE mount at one side and a stiffer mount at the other side is not a good idea. So I thought of asking you guys here before getting the Lemforder mount.

Mike was very helpful and am not saying that he's wrong here. I have ordered parts from him before too. So just wanted to get you guys opinion before going further.

There is nothing wrong with running a 034 mount on the passenger side and a OEM mount on the driver side, plenty of A4 1.8t owners run that exact setup. All your doing is reducing the amount of twist toward the passenger side when the power increase, but allowing more twist going back as the power decreases.

What you can do is just replace the driver side transmission mount first and if your not happy at that point put in a OEM on the passenger side.

BTW if your getting vibration just driving at a set hwy speed then something else is out of balance. Tons of people run even stiffer mounts with very little vibration, this includes myself and I run solid mounts all the way around and I get no vibration at idle or even at 140+mph.

034Motorsport
04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
BTW if your getting vibration just driving at a set hwy speed then something else is out of balance.
What Mike said. [up]

Vibrations from engine/transmission mounts are usually most obvious at idle or light load/low speed. It sounds like something else is the culprit if you're experiencing vibrations only at speed.

Might want to check your driveshaft support bearing, and maybe make sure your wheels are balanced.

woolveren
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
I've had their street density mounts in my car for 25k+ miles and hardly notice the additional vibration.

Is it possible they sent you the track density mounts?

Are your wheels properly balanced?

Why not just go back to stock mounts if you don't like these? I'm sure someone here would gladly trade you their stock mounts for the 034s.

No, they were the street density mounts and wheels are aligned properly.

There is nothing wrong with running a 034 mount on the passenger side and a OEM mount on the driver side, plenty of A4 1.8t owners run that exact setup. All your doing is reducing the amount of twist toward the passenger side when the power increase, but allowing more twist going back as the power decreases.

What you can do is just replace the driver side transmission mount first and if your not happy at that point put in a OEM on the passenger side.

BTW if your getting vibration just driving at a set hwy speed then something else is out of balance. Tons of people run even stiffer mounts with very little vibration, this includes myself and I run solid mounts all the way around and I get no vibration at idle or even at 140+mph.

Yeah, I am going to try that setup first as Mike told and lets see how much improvement it makes.

And I am not getting any vibrations at a set speed. But I can feel the drivetrain acting up whenever I try to go above 75 + speeds or above 3500 RPM. Again they are not vibrations. I guess it's the feel of the drivetrain, but as a DD I am getting irritated with this.

What Mike said. [up]

Vibrations from engine/transmission mounts are usually most obvious at idle or light load/low speed. It sounds like something else is the culprit if you're experiencing vibrations only at speed.

Might want to check your driveshaft support bearing, and maybe make sure your wheels are balanced.

I don't have any vibrations at idle speed. I guess the problem is that the mounts are stiff and I can feel the drive train in most speeds which I am not really liking.

M-Hood
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
There shouldn't be any added feel to the actual car itself when driving with stiffer mounts then it would be without stock mounts. If your feeling something while driving it should either be the suspension, if your feeling it thru the drivetrain then there has to be a balance issue in that itself that is causing you to feel something. My car is very smooth at any speed even with the transmission connected to the car with a metal L bracket on the driver side and the rest are solid mounts.

Maybe the stock mounts just soak up the unbalanced part of your drivetrain.

woolveren
04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
There shouldn't be any added feel to the actual car itself when driving with stiffer mounts then it would be without stock mounts. If your feeling something while driving it should either be the suspension, if your feeling it thru the drivetrain then there has to be a balance issue in that itself that is causing you to feel something. My car is very smooth at any speed even with the transmission connected to the car with a metal L bracket on the driver side and the rest are solid mounts.

Maybe the stock mounts just soak up the unbalanced part of your drivetrain.

Hmm..I cannot agree fully with you in this.

I actually had Febi transmission mounts before replacing it with 034 mounts. And those Febi were new mounts, except it was made in China. And I had absolutely zero vibration and drivetrain feel at any speeds when Febi was there. But when I changed to 034 tranny mounts after 7k, the very first time itself I noticed the increased drive train feel.

And my car's suspension is in great condition with all new struts and complete set of new febi control arms, which I bought from purems.:)

So I guess I will go with an OEM equivalent transmission mount at right side and see how much difference it gonna make..

Nateness
04-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I have 034 street density on the passenger side and oem on the driver side. No vibration issues.

M-Hood
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Hmm..I cannot agree fully with you in this.

I actually had Febi transmission mounts before replacing it with 034 mounts. And those Febi were new mounts, except it was made in China. And I had absolutely zero vibration and drivetrain feel at any speeds when Febi was there. But when I changed to 034 tranny mounts after 7k, the very first time itself I noticed the increased drive train feel.

And my car's suspension is in great condition with all new struts and complete set of new febi control arms, which I bought from purems.:)

So I guess I will go with an OEM equivalent transmission mount at right side and see how much difference it gonna make..

I think you missed what I meant, was just saying that with the OEM mounts on the car they are just masking what your feeling with the stiffer mounts. My driveline doesn't move a inch because it is locked down as tight as possible and I have no odd feelings at any speed.

The stock mounts also mask all of the vibration the stock motor makes, which is why most people with stock motors feel vibration when they put stiffer mounts on the car.

woolveren
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I think you missed what I meant, was just saying that with the OEM mounts on the car they are just masking what your feeling with the stiffer mounts. My driveline doesn't move a inch because it is locked down as tight as possible and I have no odd feelings at any speed.

The stock mounts also mask all of the vibration the stock motor makes, which is why most people with stock motors feel vibration when they put stiffer mounts on the car.

Yeah, I understood what you are saying. As I said before, i will give oem + 034 mounts a try for the transmission.

Also, my motor mounts are acting up these days and am thinking of getting new motor mounts too. My car is slightly modded with machined heads and free flow cat+ mufflers.

Do I need to get a stiffer mount, such as the V6 mounts, for my car?

Again, i would like to go vibration less..

M-Hood
04-26-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, I understood what you are saying. As I said before, i will give oem + 034 mounts a try for the transmission.

Also, my motor mounts are acting up these days and am thinking of getting new motor mounts too. My car is slightly modded with machined heads and free flow cat+ mufflers.

Do I need to get a stiffer mount, such as the V6 mounts, for my car?

Again, i would like to go vibration less..

If your talking about the motor mounts, yes you could go to the OEM V6 mounts.

woolveren
04-27-2012, 06:35 AM
If your talking about the motor mounts, yes you could go to the OEM V6 mounts.

Yeah, motor mounts. That is what I thought too since I have slight modification on engine power.

But I was looking into some passat forums yesterday night and found that the 1.8t and V6 mounts are tuned for different resonant frequencies. Also they were suggesting that unless you add some 30 HP plus, there is no need to change/upgrade OEM engine and transmission mounts. The only thing they recommended to change is the snub mount for a slightly modded engine. What do you think?

M-Hood
04-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, motor mounts. That is what I thought too since I have slight modification on engine power.

But I was looking into some passat forums yesterday night and found that the 1.8t and V6 mounts are tuned for different resonant frequencies. Also they were suggesting that unless you add some 30 HP plus, there is no need to change/upgrade OEM engine and transmission mounts. The only thing they recommended to change is the snub mount for a slightly modded engine. What do you think?

It is always a good idea to upgrade the mounts no matter what power level your at, it is just going to reduce the movement of the engine/transmission. The amount of HP has nothing to do with it, it is about the added tq and a chip along already adds about 70tq and over 30hp with the stock K03. So not sure what those Passat owners are talking about seeing that anyone that isn't running a stock tune has already added 30+ hp to their car. You car came stock with 150hp/150tq, most of all the chips out there increase that to about 195hp and about 245tq.

woolveren
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
It is always a good idea to upgrade the mounts no matter what power level your at, it is just going to reduce the movement of the engine/transmission. The amount of HP has nothing to do with it, it is about the added tq and a chip along already adds about 70tq and over 30hp with the stock K03. So not sure what those Passat owners are talking about seeing that anyone that isn't running a stock tune has already added 30+ hp to their car. You car came stock with 150hp/150tq, most of all the chips out there increase that to about 195hp and about 245tq.

hmm..I don't think mine is chipped. But the heads are shaved for sure and I don't know how much difference it make in HP with this modd. Also I am not looking for a reduced engine/transmission movement with the upgraded mounts What i want to make sure is that with this increased power from machined heads, will the stock mounts holds the engine well? I want to go the vibration free way..