PDA

View Full Version : every now and then my car wont start?

seanentrust
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
my car always starts right up without hesitation but every once in a few months my car wont start? it takes me cranking on it for a good 20 seconds or more for it to finally turn over. any thoughts?

walky_talky20
04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
1st thing: check codes. I could care less if your "CEL" is on or not. Check the codes with vag-com (no substitutes, only vag-com will do).

Thing B: If it is a cold start problem, a bad coolant temp sensor can commonly cause those kind of issues. If it has happened more than once, you will probably have a stored code for it.

Third Thing: If it is a hot restart problem, a bad engine speed sensor can commonly cause that kind of issue. This almost always stores a code.

Of course, it is pretty impossible for me to know for a fact what's wrong with your car, but those are some common problems that will give you some things to look for perhaps.

SN95Audi87
04-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Check for codes, this will be the solution to fix the car. Walky has great advice like always.

woolveren
04-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I had the same problem in winter. Turned out to be a bad temperature sensor as walky-talky said.