PDA

View Full Version : Odometer issue

Spectre1130
04-24-2012, 12:35 AM
I have a 1997 Audi A4 Quattro Auto.

Step 1) I turned my car off in my garage. My odometer was working fine, just saying I needed to change my oil. (I hadn't looked up how to reset it yet)

Step 2) I turned my car on about an hour later to drive somewhere, and my odometer doesn't turn on or even light up.

I wasn't sure if it could be a sensor or something, or a weird Audi thing where I have to find some sort of hidden "swastika button". My guess is the odometer just took a poop on me is all.

Any input on this would be nice. :)

Seerlah
04-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I think your odometer just took a dump on you. Here is how to reset your service interval warning (says 98-99, but best I could find).

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec26.shtml

Spectre1130
04-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Cool. Thanks for the link too, saved me some looking around at 2 AM.

So if my odometer did take a dump on me, am I able to just replace the odometer or do I need to get a whole new gauge cluster? I haven't had mine apart yet to see if its a separate component.

Seerlah
04-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Never messed with that part of the car yet. Not quite sure. But if it is the cluster, you can get a used one and change the odometer readings with Vag Tacho. I think you need to change it in klm, then convert it to miles. If you can't get it exact, you can get it damn near close.

Nollywood
04-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Never come across a dead odometer display, but have certainly seen quite a few with the illumination gone bad. In this case, you can just about see the digits in strong sunlight, but just about, if you're actually looking hard.

Worth checking this first, before condemning the cluster. And yes, it's an entire cluster, the odometer isn't a separate unit.

Spectre1130
04-25-2012, 10:12 AM
The illumination for the odometer is separate from the odometer itself?

Also if that's the case, can you replace the illumination for it and not have to replace the whole cluster? I don't think it's just a backlight since it uses a digital read-out.

k0mpresd
04-25-2012, 10:21 AM
you can replace just the lcd screen for the display. you will need to find someone that doesnt mind selling a cluster in parts though. i may have one available actually. i have an analog cluster upstairs i stole the clock from but all the other parts are there. edit: yep, i got one. or a whole cluster minus the front glass.