PDA

View Full Version : Need new gauges.

ricekikr
04-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Which brand has a black face/black ring, vacuum/boost (40psi), red led backlight, mechanical? - has to be mechanical (cheaper / less things to fail)

My Autometer OIL pressure just failed (gauge itself failed, not the sender), so gona replace both boost/oil gauge, since I alsp need more than 30psi boost gauge.

PS: Autometer sucks, before they SELL me a replacement gauge, I have to ship back the old one. They won't even tell me the price of the replacement gauge. For all I know, the whole kit (gauge/sender) might be cheaper, than the replacement gauge, thru the vendors.

howardfootball
04-23-2012, 08:04 PM
VEI Multi Gauge might be the solution for you.

ricekikr
04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't think they have a boost+oil.

Forget to mention I want analog gauges, with red led backlight or something close to the instrument cluster. Something like below only vacuum to 40psi.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9vl48OOIvSmvMYAHrgWzx0MVHFaIbN 4-K4RKZWSder6dPs9-1

Seerlah
04-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Auto Meter sucks ***. My fuel pressure gauge blew day one. Summit Racing replacement still alive and well. And FWIW, I have 2 dual VEI units and they work just fine for me (boost, A/F, oil pressure, IAT). Podi has an electrical oil pressure gauge, but is not mechanical. It has the needle sweep like one, but is not a mechanical unit. Just throwing that one out there, just in case. But their boost gauge only goes to 30psi. My VEI units I expect to hold me over till the car is no longer in my possession.

http://www.podi.ca/Gauges.aspx

ricekikr
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Forgot to mention, I need/want:
Oil pressure - analog gauge - electrical - 0-100psi
Boost - analog - mechanical - Vacuum - 40psi +

Just checked out PODI, only 30psi for boost, and oil pressure is too expensive =(

Does VEI have a boost/oil combo? How much would it cost with the senders?

ricekikr
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
VEI looks promising. They do have oil+boost - $89 without senders.

Can I use any MAP sensor / oil pressure senders with it? Or does it only work with theirs?

Seerlah
04-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Does VEI have a boost/oil combo? How much would it cost with the senders?

Not that much. And they def have that combo. On the link I posted, go to where it has the dual VEI gauge. You can choose the 2 options for $109+ sender units. You can even have the black bezel/trim if you choose that option, for no extra cost. The VEI oil pressure sender is $30 and the boost sender is $40. So, $180 before shipping. Or you can wait till a company does another sale, but Podi themselves said they will no longer do group buys. All group buys will be done through one of their distributors.

VEI looks promising.

Can I use any MAP sensor / oil pressure senders with it? Or does it only work with theirs?

I personally only use their senders. I even only use the LC-1, but I just learned from Winston the other day I can use any one that operates on 0-5v. So, that's a plus because I hate Innovate.

Here is are pics of my setup, and I want to add a third middle gauge later on. Not quite sure which ones, but I'm leaning towards EGT and fuel pressure. Don't mind the funny numbers in the pics. Everything is calibrated and functioning, now. All except the A/F, because Innovate sucks butt cheeks (controller took a dump on me).

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/PICT0617.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/PICT0620.jpg

ricekikr
04-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Thanks for the info. Gotta decide whether to keep Analog or save money and go digital.

howardfootball
04-24-2012, 04:17 AM
I think digital will suit your needs better.

guy022077
04-24-2012, 05:29 AM
egauges.com

Seerlah
04-24-2012, 07:12 AM
People like mechanical because they like actually seeing clearly the way the needle moves. With the digital gauge, you can't really do that. That is basically what it would boil down to.

SnowBum124
04-24-2012, 08:31 AM
i am running Prosport gauges. i think that in the day time they are a bright white and when i trun my headlights on they switch to a red faced gauge that matches really well. its worth a click to check them out

http://prosportgauges.com/

ricekikr
04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the help everyone =)

Update: Opened up the gauge, to see what was loose/wrong. Nothing seemed out of the norm, reset the needle. Gauge now works again. The needle was probably loose enough to not give the proper reading, but not enough to just stop working altogether (it still reacted to RPM).

But when I first noticed it not working, it wasn't responding, it was stuck in the correct rest position. Which led me to believe the gauge was kaput. Then several taps to the gauge must've loosened it, then it worked erratically.

People like mechanical because they like actually seeing clearly the way the needle moves. With the digital gauge, you can't really do that. That is basically what it would boil down to.

+1

And I just like the way analog looks.

redline380
04-25-2012, 12:34 AM
Boost - analog - mechanical - Vacuum - 40psi +
what in the hell do you need a 40 psi gauge for?

And I just like the way analog looks.

i wholly agree with thi statement. i have a vdo vision series boost gauge. fits well with the car and they make an oil gauge in that line. not sure if ill ever run an 02 gauge, but it will be analog and ill switch my other gauges to that brand as well. hears a trick though. if your gauge is backlit, but not the right color, take the bulb out and color it with a sharpy or other marker.

ricekikr
04-25-2012, 01:43 AM
what in the hell do you need a 40 psi gauge for?

Daily 30psi, sometimes 35psi. So 5psi for overboost. [:D]

But most analog vacuum/boost gauges only go up to 30psi. So digital would be the solution or get a boost-only gauge.

Seerlah
04-25-2012, 03:02 AM
hears a trick though. if your gauge is backlit, but not the right color, take the bulb out and color it with a sharpy or other marker.

Just swap out the bulb with an LED color of your choice. The Sharpie may be cheaper, but the LED replacement is the proper way to go about it. My first boost gauge was the VDO, and I swapped put the bulb for a red LED one. Also, I noticed that the VDO is not entirely accurate. But it gets the job done.

With my gauges, I only check them periodically to make sure things are ok. So, having them digital does not bother me. What I mostly look at is my IAT, so I know I can go WOT through my gears without my ECU wanting to pull timing. Plus gives me a good idea of how my setup is doing (ie I need to change up my intercooler setup). And as long as my A/F at WOT is 12-11.8:1 with my cruising at stoich or damn near close , I don't worry too much. My boost is always a steady 14psi to redline (spikes 15psi at times, but I think more because I am on the borderline. my mbc is designed to not grant spikes), but that is all my stock clutch can handle without slipping.