PDA

View Full Version : Getting a TT have a ?

advanracing62
05-10-2005, 09:37 AM
I know we get alot of getting this or that and have a ? on here, so what's another one right? [:D]

I'm looking at getting a TT in the next month and am having trouble choosing between the 1.8 and the 225 quattro. I really want the faster of the two, but am scared that fuel economy would suffer a bit. I have an A4 B5 now, and know that the TT will be faster, but I want something that is going to be a huge marked improvement over my A4. I'm def. not getting the roadster so it's coupsville all the way- what do you all think about the 225 vs 1.8 as far as upgrading, mileage, tranny (5 vs 6 sp)?

if you were going to get a TT again would it be the 225 or the 180?

ncttrnl
05-10-2005, 01:41 PM
They are both 1.8s... the difference is mostly in the turbo, the extra side intercooler, and the exhaust.

I have a 180 FWD and I love it. Lots of fun, lightweight, more than enough car to toy around in.

The 180 Quattro is a bit heavy for its power. Its still a great and fun car but just a little pokey compared to the 225.

The 225 is only available in quattro. It has, among other things, a bigger turbo, dual side intercoolers, a better flowing exhaust, and some other internal engine goodies.

Fuel economy is actually pretty good on all of the cars. Its only a 4 banger so its not like it dumps that much fuel. If you get a chip and get on the gas, you will be wondering where you tank went.

I would say, if you don't want to mod too much but want some speed... get the 225.

If you are planning on modding like crazy but don't want to spend a ton of cash doing it, get a 180. The 180 can use alot of the mods designed for the VW GTI so fun boltons are readily available. Keep in mind that after 2002 all 180s are tiptronic.

Hope that helps

midn12ght
05-10-2005, 03:51 PM
i had the 180 w/quattro and i loved it! once i got revo, it was a whole 'nother animal. but if i were to get another, it'd be 225 or even 3.2!

also, look into the mods available first for the platform you're entertaining, that'll help with the decision process also. and no offense to anyone, but the coupe is sexier...

advanracing62
05-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I think that I will go 225 as I do have a slight craving for speed... well that and I want to be able to put some power to the ground just in case- My a4 ft is super loose when I get on her. Quattro is the only way to go now I think, plus the 6 sp trans.... oh so effecient.

4cefed4
05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Quattro adds a bit of weight and is still tricky to launch at the track. Even though the 180 come with less power from the factory, it is easy to surpass the 225s output with a few mods, and then you'll be appreciating the lower curb weight. The TT is a great looking car, but don't buy it expecting the fastest thing on earth. Well, unless you get a 3.2 and throw a couple of turbos on it that is [;)]