PDA

View Full Version : Yet another oil problem

rwc0920
04-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Oil light comes on whenever im making a turn and then shuts off after I start driving straight again. So I pulled the dipstick a few times to see where my oil level is at, no visible signs of oil on the dipstick. So I decided to change the oil all together. About 6 quarts gets drained....... Something wrong with my dipstick? Bad oil sensor?

walky_talky20
04-21-2012, 06:02 PM
What engine are we talking about? And did you actually measure the oil that came out?

AudiNFS
04-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Wait, 6 quarts goes into an A4 engine?

murdered APR a4
04-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Probably a 2.8, and if it was measured make sure it's the right dipstick that is actually supposed to be in there. If it is then you sir have a very strange problem.

AudiNFS
04-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Probably a 2.8, and if it was measured make sure it's the right dipstick that is actually supposed to be in there. If it is then you sir have a very strange problem.

Ah ha, that would make more sense.

I'm thinking a faulty sensor for some reason. If that much oil actually did come out of the car, then it was no where near low enough to trigger the low oil warning.

walky_talky20
04-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Yeah, but if it is low enough not to touch the stick, AND the oil pressure light came on, that is 2 symptoms in favor of not enough oil in the engine.

The only evidence we have that there *was* enough oil was his measurement of the 6 quarts, which he described as "about" 6 quarts. Hence my question about the method of measure. I am drawing that into question. That is the only part that doesn't line up here.

It's Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is just innacurate measuring. The other explanation is that BOTH the dipstick AND the pressure sensor are broken. The second explanation is not impossible (we ARE talking about an Audi here, after all), but just less likely based on the given facts.

Obviously, no disrespect the OP at all here. Just saying is all. The last question - which nobody asked yet - is "Does the dipstick show the proper oil level now, after the oil change? And how many quarts did it take to get to that level?" But perhaps he didn't fill it back up yet.

rwc0920
04-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Yea it's a 2.8. I never really measured how much actually came out. I just threw out a guesstimate based on the number of quart containers I filled back up. When I did the oil change about 3k miles ago it showed up on the dipstick when I filled it back up. Now it's not showing up at all. So I'm pretty sure I have the right dipstick but I could be wrong. How do I know if I have the right one?

walky_talky20
04-22-2012, 07:26 PM
Wait, wait, wait. I'm not following the story. Please confirm the time-line below:

1. You own an A4 2.8 and you have done your own oil changes on it many times.
2. 3,000 miles ago you did one of these oil changes. 6 quarts filled to the top of the hashed section on the dipstick. No problems.
3. Just recently, the RED oil pressure light comes on when making turns.
4. Checking the dipstick reveals that no oil is touching the stick.
5. PANIC.
6. Do an emergency oil change - 6 quarts...the usual.
7. Old oil is drained into quart containers - amounts to approx. 6 quarts. New oil is added.
8. Holy Crap. Even 6 quarts of new oil is not touching the stick!?
9. This is getting weird, thread is started on AZ.
10. Some annoying guy is confused by this very simple story and proceeds to create a useless time-line instead of actually helping.

A. Did I miss anything?
B. What kind of oil are you using?
C. If you install the dipstick and start the engine for a moment, then shut it off and quickly remove the dipstick, what does it look like?

*Please use the letter or number of the corresponding items above, should your response refer to any of those items.

rwc0920
04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Wait, wait, wait. I'm not following the story. Please confirm the time-line below:

1. You own an A4 2.8 and you have done your own oil changes on it many times.
2. 3,000 miles ago you did one of these oil changes. 6 quarts filled to the top of the hashed section on the dipstick. No problems.
3. Just recently, the RED oil pressure light comes on when making turns.
4. Checking the dipstick reveals that no oil is touching the stick.
5. PANIC.
6. Do an emergency oil change - 6 quarts...the usual.
7. Old oil is drained into quart containers - amounts to approx. 6 quarts. New oil is added.
8. Holy Crap. Even 6 quarts of new oil is not touching the stick!?
9. This is getting weird, thread is started on AZ.
10. Some annoying guy is confused by this very simple story and proceeds to create a useless time-line instead of actually helping.

A. Did I miss anything?
B. What kind of oil are you using?
C. If you install the dipstick and start the engine for a moment, then shut it off and quickly remove the dipstick, what does it look like?

*Please use the letter or number of the corresponding items above, should your response refer to any of those items.

ok I can see that you are confused on a few things.

1. I do own a 2.8 and do my own oil changes
2. 3,000 miles ago I did an oil change because that's when I got the car
3. When I was driving the car back home, the red oil light had already been already going on and off at times - so I pulled over and checked the oil and it indicated that it was below the regular amount so I added 2 quarts until I could do an actual oil change.
4.) I get a chance to do an oil change and I get 6 quarts out of the car when I drain it (filled up (6) 1 quart containers so it was more or less 6 quarts).
5.) I go put 6.5 quarts back into the car and checked the dipstick. It indicted that the oil hit the top of the hash section
6.) a couple weeks have gone by and this problem started happening (red oil light would come on whenever I take a turn).
7.) Check the dipstick a few times and again no indication that there is any oil.
8.) Then I came looking for answers on AZ.

B.)Mobil 1 with a fram oil filter
C.) still no oil

AudiNFS
04-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Sounds to me like you're losing oil. The question there would be why, of course. Right?

I mean, are you thinking you're losing oil, or am I introducing a new idea here?

Also FWIW, people on the S4 side of things have been having a bit of trouble lately with Mobil1. Just a heads up.

walky_talky20
04-23-2012, 03:38 PM
ok I can see that you are confused on a few things.

1. I do own a 2.8 and do my own oil changes
2. 3,000 miles ago I did an oil change because that's when I got the car
3. When I was driving the car back home, the red oil light had already been already going on and off at times - so I pulled over and checked the oil and it indicated that it was below the regular amount so I added 2 quarts until I could do an actual oil change.
4.) I get a chance to do an oil change and I get 6 quarts out of the car when I drain it (filled up (6) 1 quart containers so it was more or less 6 quarts).
5.) I go put 6.5 quarts back into the car and checked the dipstick. It indicted that the oil hit the top of the hash section
6.) a couple weeks have gone by and this problem started happening (red oil light would come on whenever I take a turn).
7.) Check the dipstick a few times and again no indication that there is any oil.
8.) Then I came looking for answers on AZ.

B.)Mobil 1 with a fram oil filter
C.) still no oil

Wow, thanks for the detailed answer, that *really* clears things up now. Although, I see you've omitted the "PANIC" step. Surely that goes in there somewhere, right? Probably right after you see a dipstick with no oil on it, yes?

Anyway, yeah it looks like the car is using oil. Good thing for that oil light, am I right? Otherwise you'd be driving it around with no oil. At least, I assume you haven't been driving it with the oil light on...[>_>]

I suggest you add some oil in the meantime. Bring it back up to full. Take note of how many quarts that is. Then you have to find your leak. With that kind of usage, I'd guess oil cooler o-ring or hole in the oil pan. Something like that. Get it on a lift and see what the deal is.

rwc0920
04-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow, thanks for the detailed answer, that *really* clears things up now. Although, I see you've omitted the "PANIC" step. Surely that goes in there somewhere, right? Probably right after you see a dipstick with no oil on it, yes?

Anyway, yeah it looks like the car is using oil. Good thing for that oil light, am I right? Otherwise you'd be driving it around with no oil. At least, I assume you haven't been driving it with the oil light on...[>_>]

I suggest you add some oil in the meantime. Bring it back up to full. Take note of how many quarts that is. Then you have to find your leak. With that kind of usage, I'd guess oil cooler o-ring or hole in the oil pan. Something like that. Get it on a lift and see what the deal is.

Oil light never stays on after the turn, only when it's turning. Once it goes back into a straight line, the light shuts off. It's not a blink either just a steady red till I finish the turn. But I'll get under it to see if it's leaking anywhere.

bmarshall
04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Check the wiring to the sensor.