PDA

View Full Version : GIAC problem...need help fast!!

badassbaldie
05-09-2005, 06:53 PM
I recently installed a K04 turbo upgrade and I supplemented it with a GIAC K04 program. We got everything together and started it. The car is running rough and the computer gives a "no throddle position sensor reading". We put the stock ECU back in (APR chipped) and it runs fine. Any suggestions?? Let me know as we are working on it as I type...[wrench]

Starting
05-09-2005, 07:02 PM
did you do a tba. the car will adjust to it over time a little.

badassbaldie
05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
No, but that's what I'm being told to do. I guess you need a VAG-COM to do it properly and I don't have access to one at the moment. You are saying that it should adjust itself? Thanks for the help.

Burntaudi
05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
You can do a TBA without a Vag. Turn key forward without starting or touching gas. Throttle body will buzz wait till buzzing stops....start engine...done.

badassbaldie
05-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks BURNTAUDI for the info. Unfortunately, I'm not there to help him do it. I've been narrating via nextel. What would happen and how could you remedy the problem if you give it gas? I don't know if he did or not, I'm just troubleshooting...

Burntaudi
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
If he gave it gas tell him to do it again. Without giving it gas.

duffman1101
05-09-2005, 08:05 PM
everything burnt is saying is right... just turn key to "on" position without starting car or touching throttle. let the car sit and do the adaptation... maybe 2-3 minutes. It should be good to go. if that doesn't work maybe things need to be checked by a shop. good luck!

JMG
05-10-2005, 05:38 AM
You should cut then reconnect the power to the ECU before doing a TBA. That way it has no "memory" of a prior TB setting and adjusts for a new one.

94jedi
05-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by JMG
You should cut then reconnect the power to the ECU before doing a TBA. That way it has no "memory" of a prior TB setting and adjusts for a new one.

good call- and make sure you have your radio code handy if you still have your stock h/u.

JMG
05-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by 94jedi
good call- and make sure you have your radio code handy if you still have your stock h/u.

you can just disconnect the ECU if you don't want to bother with radio codes

skene
05-10-2005, 05:45 AM
if that does not work you may want to ask him if he disconnected any other wires going to the throttle body that he didnt reconnect.

bitterchild
05-10-2005, 07:28 AM
i'd suspect what skene said. besides its much easier to check. btw, throttle bodies do go bad.

skene
05-10-2005, 07:49 AM
yes TBs do go bad...
Here goes something to think about as well. No matter what you have now, if an upgrade makes a vehicle perform not as expected there are numerous reasons for it.
If the vehicle worked prior, then something with either the kit or programming could affect it, that does not show up when put under different circumstances.

badassbaldie
05-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Let me just say that first of all, thanks for all your help. I'm new to AZ as you can probably all tell by my 1 ring rating!! ha ha.

Now, as for my vehicle, here's the scenario. We put the GIAC chipped ECU in and it gives a "no reading from the TPS (throttle position sensor)" code. We put my stock ECU back in and it does not give the code. It runs with the stock ECU (APR chipped) but it stutters when load is applied. The GIAC tech said the stutter is probably from the bigger fuel-pressure regulator (5 bar). We are going to try the GIAC ecu in a friend's '98 A4 who also has a K04 setup. This should confirm if it is the ECU.

Thanks again, and any suggestions are welcome.

badassbaldie
05-10-2005, 04:03 PM
We determined that it is a bad ecu. Thanks again for your help!!!