PDA

View Full Version : Differential & drive shaft are on their way out??

Polski
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I went to a garage and they told me my diff is making a weird noise and so is the drive shaft.
To add to this, my rear passenger wheel skips when 1/2 wot and up. I thought it was the wheel bearing but apparently its healthy.
When the car was on the lift, the chirping noise from the video below does not occur.

This is a quick video of what sounds are coming from under my car, while in gear and accelerating. When in neutral, or decelerating in gear, there s no noise.

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/vc5yf/5)

My question is, is it 100% the diff and driveshaft?? I just want to be sure before I swap em out...would be a waist of time and money if the problem persisted after doing so.

thanks!

034Motorsport
04-16-2012, 11:25 AM
What do you mean the "wheel skips"?

Can you clarify?

Polski
04-16-2012, 11:36 AM
When im hitting more than 5 psi of boost, if feels as if the rear passenger wheel only gets part of the torque going to it.

I'm not sure if im explaining this correctly, but feels like the diff cant spin that wheel smoothly under mild acceleration. Causing it to "skip"

As if the bearing was so worn out that it spins by itself, not actually spinning the wheel under mild acceleration, only slightly catching, which causes this skipping feeling.

Again im not sure if what im explaining makes theoretical sense.

Maybe the gears in the differential are skipping under acceleration? I dont know..

034Motorsport
04-16-2012, 12:02 PM
When im hitting more than 5 psi of boost, if feels as if the rear passenger wheel only gets part of the torque going to it.

I'm not sure if im explaining this correctly, but feels like the diff cant spin that wheel smoothly under mild acceleration. Causing it to "skip"

As if the bearing was so worn out that it spins by itself, not actually spinning the wheel under mild acceleration, only slightly catching, which causes this skipping feeling.

Again im not sure if what im explaining makes theoretical sense.

Maybe the gears in the differential are skipping under acceleration? I dont know..

I understand. If you describing it accurately, it does sound like your actual differential may be having issues. But that is quite rare for these cars. Your driveshaft shouldn't have anything to do with that. Your car has an open differential stock so there is never really power going to both wheels so to speak.

thenj3
04-16-2012, 04:01 PM
yea doesn't really make too much sense. do you have a sticking caliper?

Polski
04-16-2012, 04:19 PM
I understand. If you describing it accurately, it does sound like your actual differential may be having issues. But that is quite rare for these cars. Your driveshaft shouldn't have anything to do with that. Your car has an open differential stock so there is never really power going to both wheels so to speak.

That is precisely why I am skeptical about the diagnosis from the shop. I was hoping that the sound from the video would clear things up.

yea doesn't really make too much sense. do you have a sticking caliper?

I have ruled out the noise coming from the wheels entirely, since it only happens in gear, and not in neutral.

I have a feeling its the drive shaft.