PDA

View Full Version : Tiptronic Recoding questions?

Bigrick31
05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi all im new here to the forum just got an 01 1.8 a4 quattro and i have a friend with a vag com. now i have heard that you can recode the tiptronic tranny to make it more sporty or to hold it from auto shifting and such can someone explain/verify this? and if you can what are the values that i have to change? if it matters i have the symphony system not the bose system

RippleChip
05-09-2005, 05:45 AM
Let me know how this works out for you, how you like it.

Here's all the information:

02-Auto Trans : -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM works fine

Recoding Tiptronic:

In the newer cars, there are coding options for "Old" vs "New" "Tiptronic strategy". The "New" stategy (introduced in 2000 I think) is much more "automatic" than the old. To get the "Old Tiptronic strategy" where it won't downshift unless you come to a complete stop, I believe you have to change the coding in the following manner:

[Select]
[02 - Auto Trans]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the coding below
[Do It!]

Write down the original coding for future reference.

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (Cylinders):

0 or 1 - "New-style Tiptronic"
2 - "Old-style Tiptronic"

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (Market version):

1 - "Rest of world, quattro"
2 - "USA, quattro"
3 - "Rest of world, FronTrak"
4 - "USA, FronTrak"

So, for a USA model A4 quattro, if the original coding is 00002, and you want to change to the "Old-style Tiptronic" strategy, change the coding to 00022.

PS: As always, you play with stuff like this at your own risk. The "old" strategy is documented by VW only for "testing" and they explictly say that the car should be recoded the way it was before giving it back to the customer.

IndieRockSteve
05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
he's refering to the "new" vs "old" style. the old style doesn't auto-shift down a gear untill the stall point.

also, from what I've read the DBW tip tranny's have a "sport" mode that can be enabled to allow for slightly faster shifting (i think the delay is removed, it still takes forever to actually shift).
basically the sport mode is no replacement for the TipChip. and theres supposed to be a mod to remove the kick down without having to put it into "old" mode which has other issues that aren't worth it.

RippleChip
05-09-2005, 11:46 AM
The new and old is covered in that blurb.

IndieRockSteve
05-10-2005, 09:58 AM
yer right, my b.

RippleChip
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Anyone tried both, what's the impressions? I was reading over this the other day when going through the vag options and wondered how people felt about the two.

Bigrick31
05-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by RippleChip
Anyone tried both, what's the impressions? I was reading over this the other day when going through the vag options and wondered how people felt about the two.

Well i jsut did both. and i am very happy with it. it shifts in about half the time now and there is a lot more power now that i can redline in 1st. its a huge step up from stock. thanks for your help all

rowdysaudi1
05-10-2005, 06:45 PM
how much does vag-com cost?? what do you need?

PDRaudi
06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
hmm, anyone near PLAYA DEL REY or west la that would wanna help me with this

Bigrick31
06-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by PDRaudi
hmm, anyone near PLAYA DEL REY or west la that would wanna help me with this

well if you ever come up twards the bay area i could help you out

IndieRockSteve
06-07-2005, 12:28 PM
I'd be interested in a review of the "old style" from someone. they say not to use it, but I really really want to get rid of the auto kick-down of the new style, and I really wish the TipChip did that...

Bigrick31
06-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
I'd be interested in a review of the "old style" from someone. they say not to use it, but I really really want to get rid of the auto kick-down of the new style, and I really wish the TipChip did that...

I love it. i would not go back to the new style. i did both recoding on my transmission and it runs great. have ahd no problems at all. it shifts faster now i can redline in first without it auto shifting me and it wont down shift me when i dont wanna be down shifted in tip mode.

IndieRockSteve
06-09-2005, 06:02 AM
Bigrick31 - thanks for the info. I was mainly worried about detrimental effects but you seem to be ok. do you have the TipChip too or just recode? Also, when you hit redline the engine will just misfire to prevent going over its RPM limit right?

Bigrick31
06-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by IndieRockSteve
Bigrick31 - thanks for the info. I was mainly worried about detrimental effects but you seem to be ok. do you have the TipChip too or just recode? Also, when you hit redline the engine will just misfire to prevent going over its RPM limit right?

No tip chip yet just the recode. im not sure if it missfires but it wont let you go over its limits it just sits at 7 rpms (i think thats what the redline is)

PDRaudi
06-10-2005, 02:28 AM
i beleive i will do this
i have always looked down upon the auto shifting in tip mode

IndieRockSteve
06-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Bigrick31
No tip chip yet just the recode. im not sure if it missfires but it wont let you go over its limits it just sits at 7 rpms (i think thats what the redline is)

sweet, I'm gunna try this at TDH, thanks for the info

Bigrick31
06-10-2005, 06:58 PM
any time

DDQ
06-10-2005, 07:10 PM
There's really no point in hitting 7k RPMs on the 1.8. You're not making anymore power up there, and you're just hurting your engine.

You said it just sits at 7k. You're probably hitting your rev limiter. I think that can send you into limp mode. Even if it doesn't, it's pointless unless you want to work over your motor.

Bigrick31
06-10-2005, 07:15 PM
i hardly ever get it anywhere near 7k

4ingDrive
06-10-2005, 09:51 PM
I've recoded a couple of tcu's and it doesn't decrease the shift time, it just doesn't shift until a higher rpm. Also holds til redline. Has anyone recoded a tcu after getting a tip chip? I can't seem to change the softcode in mine.

Bigrick31
06-10-2005, 10:25 PM
i dont know mine seems to respond a little faster now. maybe its just my imagination