PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: 2.8 timing service tools

CANTA4DIT
04-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey all, So last night I noticed the girlfriend's 2.8 has began leaking coolant from around the water pump. This isn't a huge deal because the car is due for timing component and waterpump replacement anyways. Since I am a new member im not able to post to classifieds yet, so I figured I would ask to see if anyone knows where to get the cam holder tool and crank pin tool for a decent price, or if anyone has the tools they would like to sell. Ill rent them from someone local (Ohio) but Id really rather buy them if it is reasonable. Appreciate any advice or help I receive.

revolution337
04-12-2012, 01:57 PM
eBay usually has the best prices.

ianwpb
04-12-2012, 03:44 PM
You really don't need them.. Buy the 2.7/2.8l timing belt DVD from jhmotorsports.com. It goes over the whole job in depth an doesn't use the special tools. They do show you how to use them though if you really want to.

CANTA4DIT
04-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Appreciate the advice guys. Im kind of proud of her she took the time to find out her engine code and track the tool down on ebay. Figure ill use it just to be safe and add it to the collection. Ill def check out JHMs site when I get to a real computer tonight.

ianwpb
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
If it's your first time doing the job on an audi I definitely recommend using the dvd.

QuattroGinger
04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
damn i have to do mine but its a 1.8. they have no dvd. lol

CANTA4DIT
04-13-2012, 03:01 PM
I have done a couple 1.8s they're cake as long as you have some brake cleaner and a few beers. There are plenty of great DIYs online with pictures and a decent set of instructions will probably come with your belt/timing set.

CANTA4DIT
04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Appreciate the advice guys, the whole timing service went well, ended up swapping the pcv tube, thermostat housing was cracked and the SAIP was easier to get to to get rid of the god awful screeching. Had a bit of a scare though apparently her spare key isnt programmed so on the very first start up it ran for 10 seconds or so then came to a dead stop. After verifying that the engine still turned over with out effort i started it again, this time the dash popped up a warning saying IMMOBIL ACTIVATED. Phew, interference engines are stressful.

Scientist
04-24-2012, 01:11 PM
I have done a couple 1.8s they're cake as long as you have some brake cleaner and a few beers. There are plenty of great DIYs online with pictures and a decent set of instructions will probably come with your belt/timing set.

I believe a guy sells an instructional DVD for $10 or $15.

QuattroGinger
04-24-2012, 02:04 PM
glad to hear yours went well. i did my mine and it went excellent. no more coolant leak! and i didnt even need the printed DIY. was pretty simple.