PDA

View Full Version : what does it take to get...

OutkastSL
05-08-2005, 06:04 PM
an s4 tip tranny into a 99.5 a4? i've done my research and i'm trying to make sure everything right. from the zf website...the housing of the s4 and a4 trannys are the same. tq converter and flex plate aren't.

as many of you know....my tranny is slipping and i'm trying to find a cheap upgrade to the a4.
questions are....
are the a4 driveshaft and rear diff the same ass the s4?

i shouldn't run into any problems with the nondbw of my 99.5 and the s4 dbw tranny right?

front axles...are the s4 and a4's the same?

thanks for your help

Starting
05-08-2005, 06:43 PM
in order to put a 6 speed into a 5 speed you also need the rear diff.

Kruat
05-08-2005, 06:52 PM
But he's talking Tiptronic trannys. Sorry man, don't know.

jones3000
05-08-2005, 08:27 PM
I still don't get these tranny swaps.[rolleyes]

BranCKY3
05-08-2005, 08:47 PM
His tranny is slipping, can't hold his power. The S4 tranny can, so I guess he is trying to put that in his car.

littlewhite
05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Did u get a tip chip also? I know PES used to have a tranny chip just for S4 tip.

Saturnine
05-08-2005, 09:47 PM
I know that the hubs are different on the S4 in the front, but im sure the actual axle attachment is the same to the tranny..

Not sure about the drive shaft thou

OutkastSL
05-08-2005, 10:18 PM
hmmm...well...from zf engineering, the actual tranny casing is the same. just internally it's different. with this hard fact, i can "assume" that i can use the a4 axle, the drive shaft, but i'm not sure of the gear ratios in the rear diff.

i'm hoping daft can help. where u at??? lol

bitterchild
05-08-2005, 10:50 PM
rear driveshaft and diffs should be different. Not sure on that one though

OutkastSL
05-08-2005, 11:19 PM
well...ONE NICE AUDI is selling the whole set: s4 tranny, tq converter, flex plate, rear diff and driveshaft.

jesseahhstyle
05-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Only way you could find out is if you measured the driveshaft and locations and everything is the same.

I would think some of the gearing in the differential and trans it being an s4 having different gear ratio's.

So im sure you'd probably need the torque converter, flexplate (make sure that all bolts properly to the crank), rear diff, and well the trans.

You should go to an audi dealership ask for a master tech or the shop forman... talk to him and see if he could maybe give you a good insight. When ppl come into my dealership with questions we usually try to help DIY'ers out alot. But then again I work at a BMW dealer... But when i've gone to the audi dealership next door they were pretty cool to help answer some questions i had with stuff.

bitterchild
05-09-2005, 10:08 AM
who's going to be doing the work? the hardware sounds reasonably complete but keep in mind some mounts may need to be sourced or fabbed.

blacka4
05-09-2005, 10:11 AM
casings are the same and the tq ratings are also the same. Not sure how long this will last with our power output. you might want to consider just rebuilding the stock one with better internals...just my .02.

OutkastSL
05-09-2005, 11:10 AM
rob, like i mentioned to you in my pm, the s4 tranny and a4 tranny have the same casing, but internally a lot of parts are different. also, s4 tip trannies are able to handle a giac x chip which pushes out 276hp and 344 lbs/tq to the wheels. it's just way too expensive to invest in a level ten, it's $4600 just for the pts and tq converter, not including labor and shipping. i'm only looking to put out 250-300hp so i believe the s4 tranny will be perfect.

IndieRockSteve
05-09-2005, 11:30 AM
you should only need the tq converter from level 10. the upgraded tq converter from them is able to handle 350lb-ft and like 600hp(don't quote me on the hp number)...tq is the killer obviously

OutkastSL
05-09-2005, 11:37 AM
hmmm...i was considering just getting the tq converter...i'll call level ten to verify that. thanks steve

Edit: i just called level ten, Sam verified that it will handle 350lbs/tq. i think i'll go this route and grab a k03/k04 eliminator kit from atp. give me a couple months and i should be ready to roll.

blacka4
05-09-2005, 11:47 AM
umm. I am not so sure...like i said in my pm. when I called ZF they told me both transmission tq ratings where the same...again I will say...let me know how this works out. because I will eventually need to do this swap..

OutkastSL
05-09-2005, 12:00 PM
eh...after what birdyrocksteve mentioned about just the tq converter, i've been sold. i've found an a4 tranny used with 40k miles for $550 shipped, the level ten tq converter for $598 plus shipping, and it handles 350lbs/tq to the wheels?!?!? i'm sold.

thanks for all your help guys. i'll keep you posted on my project to get about 250-300 hp.

blacka4
05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
definitetly keep me/us posted on that. if thats all I need to get 350tq to the wheels then I would be sold on that upgrade also.

OutkastSL
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
yeah....well from what sam said (tech guy at level ten), the torque converter alone can handle 350tq at the wheels. after i get some personal business that i'm currently working on, i should be able to get the tranny done by the end of june. that'll get the ball rolling and i'll have my fmic and adj. fpr next month, then i'll save up for the atp turbo kit. damn i'm excited.

IndieRockSteve
05-10-2005, 09:56 AM
yea, thats what he told me too. where'd you find the extra tranny? does it match your tranny code? I was thinking about trying to find a Tq converter that matches mine and send that one it to get upgraded.

so your gunna ditch the K04 for a GT28RS? you should rebuild your engine while your at it, custom tuned, etc. damnit, now your gunna have a faster Tip Avant than me =(

btw, we should see if we can get a group buy going for the Tq converter upgrade. Looks like we've got 3 people interested right now.

OutkastSL
05-10-2005, 01:37 PM
actually i forgot to ask him what the tranny code is, that'll be good to know, lol. i hope it matches.

i do want to get the gt28rs, but i don't want to spend too much on this car. so i'll just get the fmic, injectors, adj. fpr, gt28rs, hfc and downpipe. oh yeah, the software and some tuning. i'm only looking to make 250-300hp to the wheels so there's no need to rebuild the block.