PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

B5RiceEater
04-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Wassup , so im broke and cant afford a 1000 dollar exhaust and im trying to aim for a unitronic stage 2 plus to run on my frankenturbo f4L 1 requirement it a turboback exhaust whats the cheapest route i can go...i was thinking about a test pipe 3 inch with a 2.5 downpipe...im a bit of a noob when it comes to this and i search forums all day but couldnt come across the answer i was looking for...also would these bolt right up to stock size exhaust and would i benefit from this so i can possibly run the unitronic stage 2 plus tune thnx

B5RiceEater
04-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Also i dont really care about a CEL but my other question is if i put the o2 spacer i could still pass inspection or if i had the tune erase the code could i pass i have my inspectors license so -shrugs-

redline380
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
cheapest route is buying used or having a custom exhaust bent up. i only paid 150$ for my 3inch and that included a flex pipe. I then bought a cheapo muffler from autozone for 40 and i have less than 200 into my 3inch exhaust. however, the guy wouldnt put it on for me because i wont be running a cat, so i had him cut the tubes a bit long so i can cut them up myself when its time to put it in.

Seerlah
04-10-2012, 01:19 PM
If you have a CEL, you automatically fail NY inspection. When it comes to readiness, you need to pass 9/10 (IIRC) or it is an automatic fail. They do a visual inspection of a cat converter (just to see if you have one). If you don't have one, you automatically fail.

Solution: HFC (Labree or 034 is my suggestion) with custom or used exhaust system.

B5RiceEater
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
So redline your running a test pipe...with a custom made 3 inch downpipe and rest of tubing

QuattroGinger
04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
if you go test pipe, i think you can buy cat covers to screw on over your test pipe that make it look like a cat, lol. i guess depending on how bad you want one. im in MD and they dont do visual inspection. hell, up till last year my car was always to low and i got automatic pass. but now they removed the wheel tests so not to low for them to check my CEL.

redline380
04-10-2012, 02:18 PM
So redline your running a test pipe...with a custom made 3 inch downpipe and rest of tubing

long story short i had the exhaust guy match my borla exhaust in 3 inch. i have a 3 inch dp from atp, which came vbanded on the turbo side and i custom vbanded the other side

01b5time
04-11-2012, 05:42 PM
spend the money on the exhaust, if you plan on using this car for awhile and putting money into it continuously i would suggest, techtonics tuning...they have a magnaflow or a borla muffler attachment. Good Prices that range from 650-750. but the only difference will be..you get a warranty plus good quality.

redline380
04-11-2012, 08:41 PM
spend the money on the exhaust, if you plan on using this car for awhile and putting money into it continuously i would suggest, techtonics tuning...they have a magnaflow or a borla muffler attachment. Good Prices that range from 650-750. but the only difference will be..you get a warranty plus good quality.

how is having it bent up any different than buying a pre made one? whats it gonna do? stop working?