PDA

View Full Version : F@#K my car!

seanentrust
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
my car is a 98 1.8t 155k and on friday i was driving and it started missing and running rough, i limped it home and discovered the #2 coil was bad, i unplugged it and nothing changed, so i pulled it and noticed some oil in the hole. So last night i pulled the VC and put a new gasket on and replaced the bad coil with a brand new coil and it started right now and idled normal. this morning i drove it to work, i live a mile away, it drove fine for about a half mile then did what it did on friday, starting running rough and the CEL started flashing again? i dont know what to do?

Seerlah
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
What kind of ignition coil did you replace it with? How did you know the coil was bad?

guy022077
04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
number 2 being bad, did you put the bad coil in another cylinder to see if the mis moved with it? number 2 is the ICM most times, not the coilpack.

Symon
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
I used cheap Advanced Auto coils and had them fail in a week. Possible coil, ground, ICM.

QuattroGinger
04-10-2012, 11:11 AM
CEL flashing, limping, possible bad cat?

doubleu8
04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Most likely an ICM.
I have an OEM unit with less than 5k miles on it if you want to buy one at an inexpensive price.

walky_talky20
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Your diagnosis was partially correct. You identified the cylinder that was misfiring and cleaned up the oil. The incorrect part was just assuming it was the coil causing the problem. That is why you want to swap the coils around to be sure. It could be other things, like a harness problem, ground problem, or bad ICM.

From here, you just do it again. Identify the cylinder that is misfiring, then test to see why it isn't firing. You might just have another coil failure. Or you might have had an incorrect diagnosis the first time and you actually have an ICM problem.

N0cturnal
04-10-2012, 12:27 PM
You can test your ICM with a multimeter and a battery to see if its broken. A 9-volt or aa will provide enough current to test. If your facing your icm from the front of your car, the pin-outs for the cylinders is on the right side. Check pin #2 and I bet you won't get any current, hence misfire.

seanentrust
04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
i unplugged the #2 coil and the car still ran the same, i unplugged the other coils and the car almost died and i determined it was the #2 coil, i replaced it yesterday with a brand new BERU coil. when i unplug the ICM the car just dies so i figured that wasnt it? i just went out and and bought some new plugs and fuel injector cleaner some im gonna try that, if not i dont know what to try?

N0cturnal
04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
If you just unplug the ICM, no cylinders will fire. A faulty ICM can still function on other cylinders.

Seerlah
04-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Your car can't run without any power to the ignition coils. Of course your car is going to die if you unplug the ICM.

walky_talky20
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
i unplugged the #2 coil and the car still ran the same, i unplugged the other coils and the car almost died and i determined it was the #2 coil, i replaced it yesterday with a brand new BERU coil. when i unplug the ICM the car just dies so i figured that wasnt it? i just went out and and bought some new plugs and fuel injector cleaner some im gonna try that, if not i dont know what to try?

But what if coil #2 wasn't even getting the signal to fire? What then? How could we possibly test for that?

How about we swap coil #2 with coil #1. If coil #2 was really bad, then it now the problem should move. Cylinder 2 should come alive and now it should be that cylinder 1 doesn't fire. So we swap them and instantly we have more information. Cool, eh?

But by all means, lets keep throwing cash at the problem. New plugs, injector cleaner, seat covers, interior smell-goods, the works. Heck, lets throw in an air filter and fuel filter for good measure. You see where I'm going? The guess and replace method can be expensive and disappointing.

guy022077
04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Did you put the coil that you think is faulty into another cylinder? Did the misfire move to that cylinder ?

If so, likely coil
If not, likely Icm

Instead of buying an Icm, maybe consider a coil pack upgrade/ Icm delete

I bought this harness from ecs for 20$ and i had coils laying around from another engine.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Flyer-Spring_Clearance/ES477951/

If you conclude it's the ICM I would consider a delete.

00SantorinS4
04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
But by all means, lets keep throwing cash at the problem. New plugs, injector cleaner, seat covers, interior smell-goods, the works. Heck, lets throw in an air filter and fuel filter for good measure. You see where I'm going? The guess and replace method can be expensive and disappointing.

I love walkys responses. Informative and witty at the same time LOL!

seanentrust
04-10-2012, 03:08 PM
ok so i just put new plugs in, which i needed to do anyway, i also swapped the suspected "bad" coil with a good one and guess what you guys were right it wasnt the coil :( so far ive spent $80 and my car is still broke, so at this point it either has to be the harness or the ICM, most likely the ICM correct?

thanks for all the help, ive been so busy and my mind isnt all there these days and i havent worked on cars in a while so i appreciate the help

Sidewayzracer
04-10-2012, 04:02 PM
sounds to me like u have a leaky valve cover, change it and call me in the morning.

Ask me how i know, ask me...

Mad Cow
04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
But what if coil #2 wasn't even getting the signal to fire? What then? How could we possibly test for that?

How about we swap coil #2 with coil #1. If coil #2 was really bad, then it now the problem should move. Cylinder 2 should come alive and now it should be that cylinder 1 doesn't fire. So we swap them and instantly we have more information. Cool, eh?

Every time I see a car in a junkyard with a bunch of brand new parts I can imagine the previous owner doing that, giving up and junking the car. On the plus side I can get nearly brand new OEM parts for basically free.

seanentrust
04-10-2012, 04:20 PM
sounds to me like u have a leaky valve cover, change it and call me in the morning.

Ask me how i know, ask me...

changed the VC gasket last night

howardfootball
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm gonna say the ICM is the culprit. It's always the #2 coil that misfires when they go bad.

walky_talky20
04-10-2012, 08:17 PM
I love walkys responses. Informative and witty at the same time LOL!

Thank you sir. For me the informative part comes pretty easy. The witty part is a constant struggle. Some of you guys are hilarious, which makes it so tough for me.

seanentrust
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
you guys were right! put a new ICM in today and runs great! thanks for the help!

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Glad you got it fixed! I had the same issue as you. I thought it was a coil at first so I scanned the car found out it was cylinder 2 that was missing swapped in my brand new spare I keep in my car and it still missed. Just for good measure played musical chairs with the coils to ensure I didn't have a faulty new coil and see if the misfire moved. Sure enough it stayed on cylinder 2. Next I pulled the ICM and tested the pins and what do you know? Number 2 pin was shot so I ordered a new ICM and once I got it installed it ran good as new!

Cheers!

Jason

seanentrust
04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Glad you got it fixed! I had the same issue as you. I thought it was a coil at first so I scanned the car found out it was cylinder 2 that was missing swapped in my brand new spare I keep in my car and it still missed. Just for good measure played musical chairs with the coils to ensure I didn't have a faulty new coil and see if the misfire moved. Sure enough it stayed on cylinder 2. Next I pulled the ICM and tested the pins and what do you know? Number 2 pin was shot so I ordered a new ICM and once I got it installed it ran good as new!

Cheers!

Jason

exact same thing i went through, unfortunately i didnt have a spare coil so ended up buying one for no reason :(

ECS Tuning-Audi
04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Well now you have one in case you need it! I just tossed mine in my glove box always good to keep a spare on hand!

Jason

SS92
04-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Well now you have one in case you need it! I just tossed mine in my glove box always good to keep a spare on hand!

Jason

[up]

I keep a full set of plugs and coilpacks, no joke lol.