PDA

View Full Version : installing ProtoColDs A8 HID kit



A Foore
05-08-2005, 12:44 PM
I have a 97 with S4 xenon housings. Wiring everything up is pretty straight forward. What I'm stuck at is putting the bulb in. The bulb holder doesn't fit into the opening for the bulb and the clip won't clip over it. Any ideas?

A Foore
05-08-2005, 03:44 PM
No one's installed his kit? [confused]
Well, I think I figured it out. I'm gonna have to shave a bit of the adapter or bulb base to have the H7 adapter fit into the bulb so it can sit properly in the bulb opening of the housing. Then secure it with the clip, then connect the bulb holder to the bulb. Is this correct? Can't do it right now cuz I don't have anything to shave the parts on hand.

808a41.8t
05-08-2005, 03:58 PM
yea i think on his webiste it said something about shaving part of the base.. did you try going to his website? thats one of the reasons i got overboost's kit instead. straight forward install. took 15 minutes to install both sides... good luck though

A Foore
05-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Wow, 15 mins? what kind of kit was it? Only reason why I went with this one is cuz it's OEM. Everything seems pretty straight foward. Connect +tive and -tive. Mount ballast an ignitor, and thats it. It's only the shaving part (if that's the case) that'll take just a bit more time.

Zodiak
05-08-2005, 04:34 PM
wait, i'm confused. if you have S4 projectors then you don't need the H7 adapter. If the A8 kit is anyhting like the RS6 kit, then the bulbs are d2s and should fit in the S4 bulb holder just fine. The H7 adapter is for those of us who installed the RS6 kit into halogen housings, which are made for an H7 bulb.

808a41.8t
05-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by A Foore
Wow, 15 mins? what kind of kit was it? Only reason why I went with this one is cuz it's OEM. Everything seems pretty straight foward. Connect +tive and -tive. Mount ballast an ignitor, and thats it. It's only the shaving part (if that's the case) that'll take just a bit more time.
i got the kit from the group buy that overboost psi had. all i had to do was plug in the wires to each other and mount the ballast. the most time consuming part was drilling hole into the plastic backing of the headlight housing so that the wires could go through.. where did you mount your ballasts btw? i thought double side taping them to underneath the headlight would work, but they fell off after a day. haha

A Foore
05-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Zodiak
wait, i'm confused. if you have S4 projectors then you don't need the H7 adapter. If the A8 kit is anyhting like the RS6 kit, then the bulbs are d2s and should fit in the S4 bulb holder just fine. The H7 adapter is for those of us who installed the RS6 kit into halogen housings, which are made for an H7 bulb.

well, they do fit, but they don't stay still. What I mean is the H7 adapter keeps them in place. The bulb base doesn't have the H7 type base with the "tab". Not sure how else to explain it.

Zodiak
05-08-2005, 05:15 PM
and what I'm saying is that if those bulbs are D2s bulbs, and the projectors you have have d2s bulb holders, then you don't need an H7 adapter. Now if you have halogen housings then it's a different story

A Foore
05-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Zodiak
and what I'm saying is that if those bulbs are D2s bulbs, and the projectors you have have d2s bulb holders, then you don't need an H7 adapter. Now if you have halogen housings then it's a different story

The holders I'm using are from the A8 kit, which are D2S holders, but it's the opening are of the housing which needs the H7 adapter for it to sit in place. In other words, if I put the bulb in the holder and put it through the bulb opening without the adapter, the bulb will turn.

Zodiak
05-08-2005, 07:08 PM
But are the headlights you are putting the bulbs into Halogen headlights (H7) or xenon/S4 (D2S) headlights? You originally stated that they were S4 headlights, which would mean they are D2S, which also means that you do not need the H7 adapter as you are installing D2S bulbs into D2S bulb holders. If they are not S4 headlights, then and are made for halogen bulbs, then the base of your D2S bulbs will have to be trimmed to match the shape of the H7 adapter (as shown on www.oemhid.com).

A Foore
05-08-2005, 09:18 PM
That's wierd. I'm pretty sure these are xenon housings. First, there's the area underneath the housing for the ballast and 2nd, I had a set of HIDs installed in there with H7 bulb.

BuffysRS4
05-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by A Foore
That's wierd. I'm pretty sure these are xenon housings. First, there's the area underneath the housing for the ballast and 2nd, I had a set of HIDs installed in there with H7 bulb. [rs4] dude
Those are halogen housings, all one piece housings had the "little areas underneath" that doesn't make them HID housings. HID housings have different bulb holders for the D2S/D2R HID bulbs, H7 halogen bulbs are not HIDs, they are HID look bulbs, there is no such thing as H7 HIDs. What you need to do is ask your seller (in your case Jackson Chan) how to install them properly.

btw I've got both overboostpsi's kit and ProtoCoID's kits

A Foore
05-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by BuffysRS4
[rs4] dude
Those are halogen housings, all one piece housings had the "little areas underneath" that doesn't make them HID housings. HID housings have different bulb holders for the D2S/D2R HID bulbs, H7 halogen bulbs are not HIDs, they are HID look bulbs, there is no such thing as H7 HIDs. What you need to do is ask your seller (in your case Jackson Chan) how to install them properly.

btw I've got both overboostpsi's kit and ProtoCoID's kits

This is what was installed in there with Philips ballast. It was the Philips Ultinon kit.
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=28

ProtoColD
05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
You definately have a halogen housing.

EuroA4
05-09-2005, 11:33 AM
^^^they are right, you do not have S4 xenons.


I actually have the A8 kit with the S4 xenons, and the D2S bulb fits right in with no adaptor. Call Eric at SPP if you are interested in the true S4 xenons...they will be the only way to work with this kit without using adaptors.

I started with the RS6 kit on regular e-codes, and then decided the adaptors were not the best way to install the bulbs, so then upgraded to S4 and the a8 kit! Best lighting I've ever had!!

ProtoColD
05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
EuroA4, glad you like the A8 kit. Could you share how the installation went?

EuroA4
05-09-2005, 01:55 PM
I'll be taking some photos this weekend, I'll try to incorporate a little write up as well.

A Foore
05-09-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. [drive]

RippleChip
05-09-2005, 05:37 PM
S4 housings from Canada are all halogen housings, don't forget that. Xenons were not an option up here on the S4s

EuroA4
05-09-2005, 08:55 PM
there is one for sale in the AW sites classified section

greenz
05-09-2005, 11:00 PM
So how much better is the light with OEM Xenon housings as opposed to Xenon in the halogen projector housing ?

ProtoColD
05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
If you have the money for the xenon housing, go for xenon housing, the xenon projector inside are designed to be used with xenon gear.

However, if you are short, sticking with the stock halogen housing is still not a bad choice, since in the A4 headlight, the halogen projector and the xenon projector are pretty similar in the design. You will still get a very good result and have good intensity.

derek2079
05-09-2005, 11:17 PM
i have xenon e codes and i switched the backings off of my non hid projectors and compared the light output with the h7 and the d2s and the h7 backing with the hid ecode projector accually gave off more light so i kept my h7 backings on my e codes, its wierd but its true dont know if anyone else has tried this before but it really does work ill put it on my life

ProtoColD
05-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Actually the amount of light should be the same for both type of projectors but the ways they spread onto the foreground are completely different.

greenz
05-10-2005, 08:44 AM
yeah, i understand the output will be the same wattage, but how is the pattern? are the e-codes worth the extra money just for that light pattern ?