PDA

View Full Version : Custom intake Q

AB18
05-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Hey guys, Im doing a lil custom intake thing today, and i cut 3 whole in my stock airbox, one being a pretty nice size whole. Well, i got a air condition filter, and i can cut up and make something to fitler the air. Its about 1/8 thick, should i use 2 sheets of it, or just use one to keep out the main debri(sp)? What do u guys think?

BranCKY3
05-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Do you mean to filter the 3 holes you made? Or to replace the air filter?

AB18
05-08-2005, 11:27 AM
To filter the 3 hole i made, i have a k&n panel filter already in it. Heres some pics of what im talkin about...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kshdfsh/DSC00509.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kshdfsh/DSC00511.jpg

AB18
05-08-2005, 11:35 AM
I think im just gona let them open, the k&n will filter it good enough.

awahl63
05-08-2005, 11:40 AM
I have no idea what that just said

BranCKY3
05-08-2005, 11:52 AM
He said that he wanted to cover up the holes he made in the airbox with a filter, but now he is just going to let his air filter do the work and the other filter isn't needed.

AB18
05-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks for cleanin that up, i couldnt have said it any better.

Now for the gains, this help more then any intake, i serioslly am amazed, turbo is alot louder, and butt dyno calculates a gain. A def well worth mod.

bitterchild
05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
put some house window mesh in there to keep large debris out. The K&N will take cre of particulate filtration.

BranCKY3
05-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Can you hear your bypass valve with this as you would with a CAI? I am considering doing this right now.

BranCKY3
05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
Also what did you use to cut it?

AB18
05-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Oh yeah, its really loud. I used a makita grinder.

DDQ
05-26-2005, 04:40 PM
I'll never buy into the concept of anyone ever creating gains by modifying the stock airbox. I have tried, tested, and failed. It cannot be done, given that the stock airbox will always yield all of the air that is demanded by the K03.

When I first put in my open filter kit, I was certain that it was making more power. Then after logging data with my VAG-com I figured out that it was all in my head. The sweet sound of the turbo and the pssst of the BPV made me think I was making more power, but the reality was that I was not.

Now I'm back to stock, with a nice foam ITG drop-in filter that filters great and flows as good/better than paper.

Either way, if you're still using the box, you're doing ok, and nice work for getting in there and trying it. But in my opinion, a new intake will gain you nothing in the 1.8T. It doesn't require much air.

Hold on a second... I just re-read your post. Are you saying that all you're using to filter the air is some little A/C filter you cut to fit the 3" hole you cut?!!

BranCKY3
05-26-2005, 05:00 PM
No, from the posts he made he was going to filter the hole he cut but keep using the regular filter, but he decided not to filter the hole he cut.

Are there any downsides to cutting the air box?

AB18
05-26-2005, 05:51 PM
DDQ, Thats cool if u didnt see gains, i did, They are tested to be better then cai on the s4s.

DDQ
05-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by AB18
DDQ, Thats cool if u didnt see gains, i did, They are tested to be better then cai on the s4s.

Please explain - I'm not sure what you mean.

Most all (even after market) setups on the A4/S4/RS4 retain the stock air box for the heat resistance factor (the worst thing for the turbo is to pull air from under the hood since it's warmer than the ambient air temp).

The only ones (that I know of) that don't use the stock airbox only change it out b/c there's not enough room in there for all the goodies.

Regardless, the stock airbox is not restrictive for what the K03 needs. I even logged the g/s data from the stock box with a paper filter, versus an open filter, and there was a negligible difference (actually, the paper flowed slightly more g/s).

BranCKY3
05-26-2005, 06:13 PM
I just want to hear my bypass valve and turbo a little louder. Will cutting a hole in the airbox affect performance at all in a NEGATIVE way? Stock airfilter will be used unless mine is dirty.

DDQ
05-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by BranCKY3
I just want to hear my bypass valve and turbo a little louder. Will cutting a hole in the airbox affect performance at all in a NEGATIVE way? Stock airfilter will be used unless mine is dirty.

Just up above you said:

I guess I'm just not sure how you could say you tested that you had gains, but then above you asked if cutting a hole in the box would hurt performance.

If you're only goal is just to make it louder, then I guess what you did might work. But if you really are just after the sound, then get an open air filter setup.

But, you'll likely lost some performance, especially in the hot weather. This has been debated to the death, but anyone that's ever posted actual data (including me) has concluded that you don't gain anything by modifying the stock airbox.

BranCKY3
05-26-2005, 06:35 PM
I didn't say that I did this, AB18 did. He's the one who said he saw gains.

DDQ
05-26-2005, 06:38 PM
My bad - Sorry, I mixed it up.

AB18
05-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Yeah ddq, I didnt ask that. With my ko4, i saw gains with it, im actually making another heatsheild becuasei think im drawin some hot air in from the wholes off the turbo. I actually went in and cut 2 dif times, and last weekend i opened it up even more and saw no gains. So im making anther heat sheild to aviod heat soak, then it will be great.

bitterchild
05-26-2005, 07:42 PM
what material are you using?

AB18
05-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Still thinkin on that bitter, what would u chose? it has to be light whatever i pick.

DDQ
05-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by AB18
Yeah ddq, I didnt ask that. With my ko4, i saw gains with it, im actually making another heatsheild becuasei think im drawin some hot air in from the wholes off the turbo. I actually went in and cut 2 dif times, and last weekend i opened it up even more and saw no gains. So im making anther heat sheild to aviod heat soak, then it will be great.

I guess what I'm wondering is... What do you mean when you say "I saw gains"? How did you determine this? Did you log data? Butt dyno doesn't really count. Like I said above, I also thought the same thing when I experimented with my intake, but I really gained nothing.

Back to what you're working on - You're going the right route - the ultimate goal in our cars is to get the coolest air possible - as more air is not necessary.

That is why the best setup known to date is the stock airbox which blocks out the warm engine bay air, and feeds off of cool external air.

AB18
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
DDq, check the s4 archives for a comparison, they compared all differnt intakes and the darintake(cut up stock air box worked best. Im not going to argue about it, if u didnt see gains its cool, maybe we did something differnt.

DDQ
05-26-2005, 08:18 PM
No arguments here, hopefully you didn't think I was trying to bash you. I was just asking as to how you verified that you saw gains.

To each his own. I was complimenting you on what you were doing by retaining the stock air box, as opposed to running an open cone. My only gripe is with the open air intake.

But, the S4 and A4 are different animals. I wouldn't say that a test on the S4 applies to the A4, even if the A4 has a K04 (which for all intents and purposes doesn't flow a TON more than a K03). The engine is still a 1.8 liter, where an S4 is a 2.7.

These A4s have been around for awhile now. It's all "been there, done that" and there's a lot that can be learned from people that have already tried it all in the past. I'm not saying people should stop trying to improve on it, but you get my point.

BranCKY3
05-30-2005, 07:38 PM
So I did this last night, took it out today to see how it did. I saw no gains at all, and it is definately a lot louder. However, I can't hear the diverter valve from in the car, I can however when I drive past a parked car and let off the boost. Is this as loud as it gets?

BranCKY3
05-30-2005, 08:18 PM
AB18 what DV do you run? Will it make any difference to run my 710N backwards?

AB18
05-30-2005, 08:28 PM
I have a bailey, which is the loudest dv, mine is extremely loud. I should have showed u where to cut to suck in cold air. I did a write up on it over on audiforums in the tech forum, look there, i have pics.

btw- i have a k&n in there too, u using the stock filter?

BranCKY3
05-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Yea you posted pics on here too for where to cut. I cut mine in the same spot you cut your big hole at.

I am using the stock filter, will k&n make a difference? My intake sound is very loud, I can hear it sucking air, but I can only hear the whooosh from the DV if I am close to another car. Maybe I will upgrade my DV.

AB18
05-30-2005, 08:35 PM
yeah, i acutally did more cutting then in the pics. I have air coming straight up from the ground, up through the bottom of the airbox. Yeah, if you want the sound, get the bailey, people say its the loudest, and i agree.

BranCKY3
05-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I'll keep my eye out for one, but will the 710N work and / or be louder if installed reverse?

bitterchild
05-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I really don't know what to recommend for a heat shield material but you have to consider both radiant and reflected heat so I would imagine it would be a layered shield w/ some shiny surface to reflect heat first; then a backing that dissipates heat quickly. To oversimplify, a piece of foil on a plastic heatsink.