PDA

View Full Version : ODBII Scanning Issue --Need Help-- Vagcom

Tilts-a4
03-31-2012, 05:31 PM
1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T cannot get NH State inspection because they cannot communicate with car. I could not read codes with my Actron CP9125 scanner, so took it to the garage. They could not either, they unplugged ECU, ABS, Trans controllers still no luck. So after a couple hundred dollars I took the car home. I unplugged the Radio since it was not working (it is the original) I was then able to read engine codes with Actron CP9125. I downloaded VCDS-Lite and bought a cable, I cannot read any codes not even ODBII Generics that I can with CP9125. So i took car back to garage, they cannot read them either with 2 different machines but they can read generic engine codes with a cheap Actron as well. I then tested my VCDS-Lite on an VW Jetta and it works just fine.

So here are my questions, although this seems odd and doesn't explain why one can and one cannot. Most all controllers are read throught the K-line pin 7 correct? Is it possible ODBII codes are read from the wht/blk line from the ECU to pin 13? It is the only thing I can think of. Also need some suggestions on how to trouble shoot why I cannot read codes. I have ABS light on as well as an Airbag light. I have diconnected ABS and ECU just incase they shorted out still could not read. I desperately need guidance. Thank-you

Tilts-a4
04-01-2012, 04:46 AM
Can someone reference a technical person on this site that might be able to help?

howardfootball
04-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Try messaging walky-talky20. He is very knowledgable of these cars.

a4_1.8t_01
04-01-2012, 08:45 AM
What codes do you get with the generic scanner? It maybe a wiring issue. Check the fuses to make sure they are good also.

Tilts-a4
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the reply, I was loosing faith in these forums. All fuses are good, radio has been removed, garage disconnected ECU, ABS and verified the trans controller cables were not shorted out as it's a standard and no controller installed. They gave up. Generic scanner reads P0102 which is MAF error. I have read many post with simular situations and in EVERY case no real answers. I just wish those folks would have posted the final results. I am sure they didn't just throw there cars away...but it's always an option....:-)

oxBullseye
04-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi Tilts!

I just ran into the same issue today in Derry NH. My VAG-COM talks to the car just fine. My Actron and the states OBD reader cannot establish a link to complete my inspection.

I've read a few things to try (two of which you already did)

Disconnect the radio if its stock, check wiring if it's an aftermarket, pull the ABS connector off the control module and try to read again, and check to make sure no pins are backed out of the OBD connector under your dash.

I'll be trying these tomorrow (I have an aftermarket radio, came with the car), and post up any results.

Bulls

Tilts-a4
04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Thanks Bulls,

Funny mine is opposite Actron works Vagcom and States don't. I will try to unplug the ABS again now the radio is out. Hope you get yours working. I will try this again tomorrow also.

Tilt

oxBullseye
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks Bulls,

Funny mine is opposite Actron works Vagcom and States don't. I will try to unplug the ABS again now the radio is out. Hope you get yours working. I will try this again tomorrow also.

Tilt

Well, I may have found my issue. My handheld wasn't reading the car as I said before, I hit up Ross-Tech's site regarding aftermarket radios and a testing procedure (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html). Before I tested anything I pulled the radio, found where pin 3 on the black connector was and pulled the pin out of the aftermarket adapter. After I did that the reader communicated perfectly.

Probably not the same issue as you Tilts, hope you figure it out :)