PDA

View Full Version : K04 Questions

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey guys

I'm looking at a car tomorrow (2000 1.8T) that has a broken timing belt which obviously needs some work...

Are there any internal parts that need to be changed i.e. pistons, valves upgraded to use a K04? I'm pretty sure a K04 is a straight bolt on to these engines, right? I have an AEB currently and that's what I've heard.

I'm thinking while I'm there I could just pop in a used K04 and have some more power.

I searched a bunch but didn't find anything about this...although I didn't search for hours and hours, either.

Thanks,
Elliott

P.S. Are K04's really that big of an upgrade? I'm mostly looking for low-down torque.

aysix
03-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I hope you know how to work on engines and can replace the parts needed from a TB failure. From what I can see, the 1.8T guys have been going with K04's for a little bit of an improvement, it's not much but if you have the money...you might aswell!

murdered APR a4
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
K04's are rather peppy if you have supporting mods.....IMO if you find a used one cheap do it but also remember without a tune you won't be getting much out of it. You don't need to mess with your internals unless you want HP that is 300hp or more.

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey guys thanks a lot for responding.

I hope you know how to work on engines and can replace the parts needed from a TB failure. From what I can see, the 1.8T guys have been going with K04's for a little bit of an improvement, it's not much but if you have the money...you might aswell!

Yeah I do all my own work and that's not a problem. Thanks again.

K04's are rather peppy if you have supporting mods.....IMO if you find a used one cheap do it but also remember without a tune you won't be getting much out of it. You don't need to mess with your internals unless you want HP that is 300hp or more.

Cool, thanks.

Is there a long list of things that are needed? Are bigger injectors needed or can you run stock injectors with this turbo? FPR, FMI, DV, exhaust, what else really?

I was definitely thinking about getting a K04 tune for it afterwards, since the car is not tuned right now anyway.

Seerlah
03-30-2012, 07:19 PM
First thing first, inspect the damage of the engine.

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 07:43 PM
First thing first, inspect the damage of the engine.

Right. What's the price on rebuilt heads? Anyone have any sources?

Or where can I buy the valves from?

back183
03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Hey i got a used RP K04-15 one for sale is one of the first batches rp put out,It has no shaft play about a year old let me know.

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Hey.

Yeah I was looking at a post about the RP turbos then I was like ahhh....

http://forums.triplezoom.com/showthread.php?4959383-RP-Turbo-K03s-installation-and-review-(Longitudinal-1.8T-AEB)

I have no idea if that's representative of RP turbo's at all...that's just one thing that I read.

Thanks for the post I'll look more into them.

TConklin821
03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
For the money you'll spend, assuming you'll buy a new one, go FrankenTurbo.

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks.

So any info on the valves? Rebuilt heads? Where to buy?

ZimbutheMonkey
03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Frankenturbo for sure, as for the cost of fixing the engine, by the time you rebuild the head, buy all the replacement parts (TB, head gasket kit, etc...) you'll be looking at $1000+, plus the purchase price. So factor that in when you make the purchasing decision. Why not take the money that you'd be spending on the other Passat and put a Frankenturbo kit and tune on your Passat?

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Frankenturbo for sure, as for the cost of fixing the engine, by the time you rebuild the head, buy all the replacement parts (TB, head gasket kit, etc...) you'll be looking at $1000+, plus the purchase price. So factor that in when you make the purchasing decision. Why not take the money that you'd be spending on the other Passat and put a Frankenturbo kit and tune on your Passat?

Yeah I figured that...I was hoping to pick the car up for around $1k...so it's not that bad...it has around 124k miles on it.

Other reason is my Passat isn't Quattro and has 220k miles on it...and it's tired lol. I was looking at getting a B6 or B5 S4 but I figured why not just go with a B5 again instead...a lot cheaper...only this time AWD.

Seerlah
03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
RP=High Priced Ebay Turbocharger

You really want to inspect the engine before anything. Asses the damage and see what needs replacement. Once you figure out what you need, we can help you source the best priced better upgraded parts. For example, buying a used cylinder head would be the cheapest route when you can get a completely usable head for $350 (plug and play). Or if you want to upgrade internals, there are various routes to take. But first, you need to know the damage of the engine. Don't over think it or analyse too much and start spending money which in turn develops into money wasted.

ElliottG
03-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Right.

Obviously there could be other problems like water pump broken or something else that caused the timing belt to snap...but it's hard to diagnose without taking stuff apart...which would require me buying the car in the first place lol.

Is there a place that sells replacement valves somewhere online? Obviously I would need those to start.

Seerlah
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
I'm trying to help you. I already stated you can pick up used fully working cylinder heads for cheap. It will save you the trouble of working on the cylinder head. And those are AEB cylinder head prices. Since you can run the AWM, ATW (not sure if you have VVT or not), or AMB on the A4 platform, things become cheaper. The small port heads are cheaper. There are VW models you can pick up cylinder heads from, but not sure which ones are direct plug and play swap. But I just listed the ones that are.

But if you want to rebuild the cylinder head from scratch and spend more money, then by all means go ahead. Here is a good place to start searching for prices.

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/

Jmacc
03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
x2 on getting a Frankenturbo. Also if you don't have enough cash to tune it they run fine on the stock ecu as well. However if it was me I wouldn't touch a RP turbo for fear of the thing exploding right than and there[;)]

ElliottG
03-31-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm trying to help you. I already stated you can pick up used fully working cylinder heads for cheap. It will save you the trouble of working on the cylinder head. And those are AEB cylinder head prices. Since you can run the AWM, ATW (not sure if you have VVT or not), or AMB on the A4 platform, things become cheaper. The small port heads are cheaper. There are VW models you can pick up cylinder heads from, but not sure which ones are direct plug and play swap. But I just listed the ones that are.

But if you want to rebuild the cylinder head from scratch and spend more money, then by all means go ahead. Here is a good place to start searching for prices.

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/

Thanks for the help. Yeah I understand that I can pick them up for cheap...but what I was asking you is WHERE exactly? I live in Canada so having people ship stuff to me from the US is a pain in the ass. There is a place selling a head near me but they don't know the engine code...would have to call them and ask...but it's not rebuilt and they want like $350 for it...does that sound reasonable?

I am aware that the heads can be swapped, BUT, I was also told that if you're swapping an AEB head onto a ATW block, you also need the larger port manifold that was on the AEB to begin with; is that true?

x2 on getting a Frankenturbo. Also if you don't have enough cash to tune it they run fine on the stock ecu as well. However if it was me I wouldn't touch a RP turbo for fear of the thing exploding right than and there[;)]

Thanks. I was hoping to go used cause for $1k, I'll just stick with the K03 lol.

Seerlah
03-31-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the help. Yeah I understand that I can pick them up for cheap...but what I was asking you is WHERE exactly? I live in Canada so having people ship stuff to me from the US is a pain in the ass. There is a place selling a head near me but they don't know the engine code...would have to call them and ask...but it's not rebuilt and they want like $350 for it...does that sound reasonable?

I am aware that the heads can be swapped, BUT, I was also told that if you're swapping an AEB head onto a ATW block, you also need the larger port manifold that was on the AEB to begin with; is that true?

Either that, or run a transition spacer.

http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-components-18t-intake-manifold-spacer-18t-phenolic-p-764.html

But you can picked up used manifolds for $75 tops. And pickung up an AEB head is the way to go. Just know that you will have to delete your secondary air injection, because the AEB cylinder head does not cater to that. Also, not sure if the ATW head has VVT or not. But CCTs can be swapped (need to swap cams too), so not really a big deal. Or you can just place a resistor on your VVT connector if needed, and it will be ok. But for picking up used parts, I usually go to fourtitude.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/forumdisplay.php?529-A4-S4-and-RS4-(B5)-Parts

$350 is the average price for a used 'AEB' cylinder head. If that is what he wants to sell it for, that is a fair price. I would not pay that much for a small port, though (would rather junk yard shop). I also would not sell a rebuilt cylinder head for $350. If the cylinder head he is selling is in good running condition with all moving parts assembled and still intact, then it'll be just fine.