PDA

View Full Version : Intro/Questions

Corzee
03-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Hey guys, just bought an '01 1.8t quattro 5spd with 144k. completely stock and in near perfect condition. Impulse buy on a good deal, but I am loving this car. Pretty familiar with vw's but dont know all of the ins and outs. Already learning a bunch from just cruising the forums, but I have a couple of questions.

1. The car has foglights, but they dont seem to work. I see the two buttons on the dash above the radio but they dont do anything. Probably fuse or dead bulbs. But does this car really have switch for each foglight?

2. Around 1800-2200 rpm, under medium-heavy acceleration, sometimes there is a "clunk" feeling, like a bicycle chain jumping a tooth. Occasionally it feels like a slight loss in power for maybe a half second, then back again. Ive read about guys who have had similiar issues and it turned out to be either a dirty TB, maf, or bad plugs. Any thoughts?

-corey

Seerlah
03-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Not sure about your second question, as it is rather vague. For example, where is this clunk located? But you need to have your headlights on to have the fog lights come on. Either that, or modify the fog light relay to have it independent from the headlight switch. And remember, left button is for just the front fogs, and right button is for rear fog (little strip above driver's side tail light bulb).

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/diy-do-yourself-55/diy-independent-foglight-mod-90540/

Avant Nate
03-29-2012, 07:19 AM
One button is for the front fogs, one is for the rear, which makes the driver? Side light up more. When you have the rear fog on, it almost looks like something is broken or a bulb is out, thus it never gets used.
A far as the clunk, does it feel like engine, or drivetrain? Could just be a misfire, do you have vag-com? Does it happen in all gears? Is it one clunk or multiple?

Corzee
03-29-2012, 07:34 AM
second, occasionally third, and it feels like engine. single clunk, no noise or anything. more like a loss in power for a split second. idles fine and pulls strong other than this occasional blip. I suppose it would just be a misfire, as it doesnt happen all the time. Never really experienced this exact thing, and since I cant get it diagnosed immediately, figured Id ask to see if anyone would know.

Seerlah
03-29-2012, 07:48 AM
Clunking could very much be something as simple as the engine rocking from a bad snub or motor mount...or even a bad tranny mount. Just throwing more potential reasons out there.