PDA

View Full Version : A4 B5 Coil-over concerns

Ben_Samoa
03-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I have been coil-over shopping lately for my car, an '01 A4 B5 1.8t quattro 5-speed. I have found many coil-overs but have not yet decided upon which to install. I would like to hear any input anyone has about any suspension systems they have installed on their Audi's. Please

Also I did find a set that keeps coming back into my mind, the Tein Basic Damper Coilovers 2002-2005 Audi A4 Quattro Sedan/Avant 2WD (http://www.advancespeedshop.com/tein-basic-damper-coilovers-20022005-audi-quattro-sedanavant-46cyl-incl-dsg70luas2-p-3120.html?utm_campaign=google-product-search-us-en&utm_medium=product_search&utm_source=google-product-search-us-en). My question is would these fit on my car. Again my baby is an '01 Audi A4 B5 1.8t Quattro. These are for a B6 FWD but my friend is saying that the suspension system is identical, and thus the coil-overs are interchangeable. Is he right or should he stick to Honda's?

Thank you

marioss4
03-26-2012, 09:44 PM
def tell ur friends to stick to hondas lmao i got a b6 lower control arm n the perch was dif on the coilover soooo yea just dont do it.

redline380
03-26-2012, 09:53 PM
they are many inerchangeable parts from b5 to b6. coilovers are not one of them. even if they were b5 coils hey wouldnt fit. FWD and AWD suspension is different. you need b5 quattro suspension. nothing else

CCA4
03-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Again my baby is an '01 Audi A4 B5 1.8t Quattro. These are for a B6 FWD but my friend is saying that the suspension system is identical, and thus the coil-overs are interchangeable.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnwltqhA7R1qzj7lm.png

Definitely tell him to stick to Hondas. On what information is he basing this claim? Has this character ever looked under either chassis? You need to look for coilovers specific for the B5 Quattro platform. Raceland just came out with a set of coils for the B5 Quattro for like $400 but last I heard they were out of stock for the foreseeable future. ST's are another popular choice. Vmaxx will be cheap but the ride is known to be doo doo when you spin them all the way down. There have been plenty of threads on this topic, a quick search would likely turn up more info than you'd need.

walky_talky20
03-27-2012, 06:18 AM
B5 and B6 fronts are similar, just the fork size is different. One could get around that if one desired to do so. However, while all B6 cars have the same rear suspension (across FWD and quattro models) - it differs greatly from both the FWD and quattro B5 designs.

So between the B5 and B6 there are 2 different front setups (that are actually pretty close) and there are 3 different rear setups (that are radically different). You need the right stuff.

Seerlah
03-27-2012, 06:36 AM
If I were to buy right now...http://shop.achtuning.com/Vogtland-GT3-Coilover-Kit-Audi-B5-A4-S4.aspx. Personal preference thing.

Ben_Samoa
03-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Seerlah -> thank you for the link i don't think i have found any coil-overs as inclusive and well rounded as these for such a cheap price. Only question is would i be able to customize if i dont like the spring rate and wanna switch up springs?

redline380
03-27-2012, 12:25 PM
those are adjustable. you could run them hgh fr a rally look or low. thas what the wrench i the picture is for. they are a bitch to adjust though. a bot me consuming if you going up because your working against the spring tension

Timtheguru
03-27-2012, 12:51 PM
I have the GT3 kit from Achtuning on my B5 S4, it's great. Also consider STs in the group buy section of this forum.

Seerlah
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Seerlah -> thank you for the link i don't think i have found any coil-overs as inclusive and well rounded as these for such a cheap price. Only question is would i be able to customize if i dont like the spring rate and wanna switch up springs?

You would need to talk to Achtuning about that. I'm sure anything can be done, but question is how much work would be needed. But if you can simply swap in springs from the regular Vogtland units, then that's a plus. But really, I doubt you would want to. I have 690 lbs/in springs up front on my current coilovers, with a progressive rear. Not harsh at all, like I anticipated it would be. But don't do stuff like run into pot holes or anything [:p].

QuattroGinger
03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
i have H&R s4 coilovers on my b5 1.8 quattro. love it, stiff ride though. handles like a champ.

Timtheguru
03-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Gt3 upgrade has been especially smooth, hardly any "jitter". You'd be happy to go with them.

lml999
04-19-2012, 12:10 PM
those are adjustable. you could run them hgh fr a rally look or low. thas what the wrench i the picture is for. they are a bitch to adjust though. a bot me consuming if you going up because your working against the spring tension

Thought you were supposed to slightly jack the corner you are adjusting to take the tension off...

redline380
04-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Thought you were supposed to slightly jack the corner you are adjusting to take the tension off...

i dont know how youd adjust them without jacking the car up and taking the tire of. they are sill a pain because if you are raising it you are working against spring pressure. even going down is stupid because it just takes forever

Ben_Samoa
04-20-2012, 08:21 AM
I figure you might be able to adjust the coilovers prior to putting them on. So theoretically, measure the fender to tire gap before installation and adjust to a save height. So say you measure the gap at about 2 inches, then prior to putting the coilovers in, adjust them exactly 1.5 inches lowered. This leaves a little work but it's better to make sure and do it when it's easier.

Buckle
08-21-2012, 09:15 AM
FWD and AWD suspension is different. you need b5 quattro suspension. nothing else

Is this statement also valid from 1.8Tq to 2.8q suspension?

walky_talky20
08-21-2012, 09:44 AM
No. 1.8Tq suspension will bolt to a 2.8q car and vice versa. However, the V6 cars do have stiffer springs from the factory to account for the extra engine weight. For coilovers, there usually isn't any difference based on engine size as the ride height is adjustable anyway.

snow demon
08-21-2012, 10:42 AM
I got the regular vogtlands from achtuning about a year ago and they are awesome, fairly stiff, stiffer than the stasis street sports that were on the car before, but not to bad for the horribly maintained but still constantly under construction chicagoland streets. I am kind of pissed though that I bought them before the GT3 came out, I think I would rather have the GT3. Anyone in the chicagoland with the GT3 want to trade lol?

I did have some coil bind with the Vogtlands but spraying some grease on the perches took care of that, you could also find some perch bearings.

Also notice that the Vogtland has a 10 year warranty, I believe Tein is only 1 or 2. I cant say if vogtland will hold up on their warranty, but if a shock blows in a few years, its going to be a great relief to get a new one under warranty. One shock blew on the stasis and since I bought the car with them on it I had no warranty, I think koni wanted around $700 for a set of new front shocks and I couldn't wait 3 weeks to get shocks rebuilt for my daily driver.

Ben_Samoa
08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks for Everyone's helps in decisions, I ended up going with K-Sports. Easy to install, easy to adjust the rear, but the front are a pain seeing as they need to be removed to adjust ride height. Fairly stiff, great all around... would recommend.

Thanks again Everyone.