PDA

View Full Version : Halogen Bulb question..!

woolveren
03-26-2012, 08:10 PM
I am installing new DEPO projector headlights this weekend and thought of getting two new bulbs too.. My car (98 Audi A4 1.8T) has halogen(non xenon) bulbs with inbuilt fog lamps.

I found these two halogen bulbs in ECS tuning;

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/General_Purpose/Bulbs/ES259780/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-FWD-1.8T/General_Purpose/Bulbs/ES2826/

Which one will be a better choice for improved visibility?

FNK
03-26-2012, 08:14 PM
The G&E Night hawk platinum and the Philips Ultra appear to be the two top choice for halogen bulb...

woolveren
03-26-2012, 08:42 PM
The G&E Night hawk platinum and the Philips Ultra appear to be the two top choice for halogen bulb...

Philips Ultra or Phillips extreme power ?

FNK
03-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Philips Ultra or Phillips extreme power ?

Philips, crystal vision ultra

woolveren
03-27-2012, 06:52 AM
Philips, crystal vision ultra

I found the below information from an old thread after a lot of searching.

Based on the below information Philips Xtreme Power seems better than Philips Cyrstal vision ultra??

CrystalVisions are supposed to be for the 'white light' HID look. This is why I am not sure if the light output is good for visibility.

UGwagen 07-21-2009, 06:28 AM

In general, all the high performance bulbs have shorter lifespans than the factory equipped H7 bulbs, even as short as 100 hours

The factory bulbs are "Long-life" H7's which average about 1000 hours of life.
The standard H7's have 500 hours of life.

The brightest H7's are the Osrams 65W H7's, which have a H9 burner on a H7 application. 2100 lumens and a claimed life of about 500 hours. Yes, they'll still be yellow like the stock lights.

A step below are:
Philips Xtreme Power
Osram Night Breaker.

Osrams will be whiter because it has 2 tint bands fore & aft the filament. Philips just have a tiny band of blue at the tip.

Then a step below are:
Osram Silverstars
Philips VisionPlus
GE Nighthawk

These have clear glass (no tint). I find the Osram Silverstars to be a tad whiter than the Philips VisionPlus. Philips, I believe improved the VisionPlus recently to improve the life also.

Next step below:
Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. About 1/3 of the glass starting from the tip is coated in the blue-whatever sylvania calls it tint-- it's a substancial darkness compared to regular Sylvania Silverstar

Then
Sylvania Silverstar
Philips Crystalvision Ultra.

think of Osram Silverstar & Philips VisionPlus with a full blue tint. Sylvania has a very light blue tint on it. Philips has a darker tint on the bulb glass.

Then a step below:
Sylvania Cool Blue
Philips Bluevision

These are standard H7 bulbs with a light blue tint on them.

Some other generalizations, darker blue tint = less light output. 55W is the standard power for H7. the factory wiring/connectors can handle 65W. Anything more is pushing the limits.

Beware of the advertising PIAA made famous: 55W -> 85W (etc). What this means is 55W of power plus the tricks of increasing output and/or tint coating to change the color will make it "appear to have the performance of a higher wattage bulb". Marketing B.S.

FNK
03-29-2012, 06:44 AM
Thank you for posting this.[:d]

Seerlah
03-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Just get an H7 HID kit and call it a day. Halogen bulbs suck.

FNK
03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Just get an H7 HID kit and call it a day. Halogen bulbs suck.

What kit do you use? I've read horror stories about the DDM kit.

Seerlah
03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Retro Solutions. Kind of pricey, but never had an issue with them and they stand by their warranty. There are a couple of us on this forum board using that, and goody6691 I think is the only one from our section who also uses it. You have been here long enough to remember him.

Scientist
03-29-2012, 09:28 AM
This is what I put in my Avant and they are three times brighter that the OEM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-Silverstar-Ultra-9007-No-reserve-/320876843642?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab5c0127a&vxp=mtr

Keyword here is Functionality.