PDA

View Full Version : P/S Pump barks due to Lucas oil & getting a click while getting a no start.

A1 A2 German
03-23-2012, 11:36 PM
After a new p/s pump, my steering has never been better. Yet on starts after sitting over night, it'll bark, as if it's dry starting. I'm guessing it's the Lucas oil. It's very thick, along the lines of maple syrup and doesn't cycle fast enough the first second or two, I'm guessing. So, what fluid shall I try?

As well, attempting to start, on occasion I'll get a click and nothing. Turn the key again and click, nothing, 10 times, click, again & it'll start perfect. On other times, first turn key, and be perfect for months. I've gone through my cables, charging system is perfect, is this the solenoid acting up?

If so, I don't want nothing but a oem starter...can I replace just the solenoid on these?

EUR Mechaniker
03-24-2012, 12:49 AM
take some of the lucas out and dilute it with some OEM p/s mineral oil

check the short ground cable from body to engine mount just in front of the starter... its been known to cause that issue.

more often than not lately its harder to find just solenoids... try a local rebuilder if that ends up being your issue...

walky_talky20
03-24-2012, 09:43 AM
On the starter issue, it could be internal to the starter - the solenoid or more likely the large contacts that engage the motor. Those contacts are a sort of wear item. The clicking is indicating that the solenoid is moving, so either it's the contacts, or the solenoid is not moving with the appropriate "gusto". It could be a lazy solenoid, or it could be getting insufficient voltage to create the required amount of gusto. Things that can cause low voltage are many: poor ground (corrosion), voltage drop across starter relay contacts, voltage drop across the solenoid wire, corrosion on solenoid wire connection right at the starter, etc.

The best first step in this case is to check the supplied voltage to the solenoid right at the starter. If you get full battery voltage and a good ground to the starter case, then the problem is more likely internal to the starter (lazy solenoid or used up contacts). In that case I'd suggest a lower mileage OEM starter from a junkyard (cheap), or getting yours repaired at a starter shop (probably not as cheap). Both of those options do not involve you trading in your high quality OEM starter for a chinese unit from the parts store. That would be the option I would avoid.

A1 A2 German
03-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Great, thanks guys.