PDA

View Full Version : Engine conversion 2.6 12v to 2.8 30v

gigity2008
03-22-2012, 05:06 PM
I have the opertunity to purchase a 2.8 30v ACK 142kw engine for $500... it looks quite complete. The ABC 2.6 12v comes in at 110kw

$500 for 30% more power is fantastic, however the 30v is drive by wire and my 12V is cable and has no MAF.

Ive looked all over the internet for information and cant find shit.... If you know anything about the drive by wire setup and what it will take for me to convert please let me know, if i know now....i can get all at the same time when i pick up the engine.

My B5 with its ABC engine is a 96 model.... the ACK engine comes from a 99.

how do you think it will go with my maunal box? and engine mounts?

any help will be great... ALSO please dont tell me to thrown in a 2.7... In Australia the 2.7 b5 is still selling for over $20,000 very popular, engines dont come cheap

speedlyte
03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds like I need to start importing b5 s4's to Australia......lol

I have the opertunity to purchase a 2.8 30v ACK 142kw engine for $500... it looks quite complete. The ABC 2.6 12v comes in at 110kw

$500 for 30% more power is fantastic, however the 30v is drive by wire and my 12V is cable and has no MAF.

Ive looked all over the internet for information and cant find shit.... If you know anything about the drive by wire setup and what it will take for me to convert please let me know, if i know now....i can get all at the same time when i pick up the engine.

any help will be great... ALSO please dont tell me to thrown in a 2.7... In Australia the 2.7 b5 is still selling for over $20,000 very popular, engines dont come cheap

NewJerseyDevil
03-22-2012, 05:44 PM
20 Gs ? What Aussie wants to by my Noggy... $25K shipped... fuck it. haha

Nollywood
03-22-2012, 06:29 PM

I've done such a conversion, in a '95 B5 2,6 Quattro Sport (ABC motor).

As the project car was drive by cable, I had to get the ACK ECU immobilliser deleted. The ABC immo is in a seperate box under the steering column, the ACK immo is in the instrument cluster. The later ACK cluster will not plug into a '96 model. This was the major issue. Once that was done, the rest was cake. If you can't get the immo deleted, you could use a North American 2,8 30V DBW ECU. Nort American B5's had no immobilliser.

The electronic pedal was easy. On the ACK cars, the pedal has its own seperate wiring (5 wires). It's the white square plug under the ECU that goes into the car (chassis connectors). This made the conversion easier, than if the wiring was built into the main harness, and buried somewhere obscure. This engine was free - the car had been rear-ended, and I offered to remove the junk for nothing. 193 hp sure beats the measly 150 offered by the ABC motor.

gigity2008
03-22-2012, 06:31 PM
20 Gs ? What Aussie wants to by my Noggy... $25K shipped... fuck it. haha

Have a look and see! lawl.... Its bullshit here!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/audi-s4-2001-12296293?base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&page=1&sort=~Price&cr=4&__N=1246 1247 1252 1282 4294967194 4294966997 1216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,Max~0.5

gigity2008
03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
So its seems that the hardest thing in your opionion was the cluster conversion. hmmmm

Its the only area i know shit about, im no auto elec, damn it!

gigity2008
03-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I've done such a conversion, in a '95 B5 2,6 Quattro Sport (ABC motor).

As the project car was drive by cable, I had to get the ACK ECU immobilliser deleted. The ABC immo is in a seperate box under the steering column, the ACK immo is in the instrument cluster. The later ACK cluster will not plug into a '96 model. This was the major issue. Once that was done, the rest was cake. If you can't get the immo deleted, you could use a North American 2,8 30V DBW ECU. Nort American B5's had no immobilliser.

The electronic pedal was easy. On the ACK cars, the pedal has its own seperate wiring (5 wires). It's the white square plug under the ECU that goes into the car (chassis connectors). This made the conversion easier, than if the wiring was built into the main harness, and buried somewhere obscure. This engine was free - the car had been rear-ended, and I offered to remove the junk for nothing. 193 hp sure beats the measly 150 offered by the ABC motor.

Thanks for the info, just what i needed.

so on your advice, it looks like alls i need is the full engine, Cluster, pedel assembly & ECU to suit. So with the cluster... when you took the ACK cluster out did you also cut off the connector plugs that connect the cluster to the car?.... then rewire the new connectors to the project car?.... if that makes sense...

You must have a good secret if you managed to delete the immo. [up] feel free to share

I dont yet have an ECU as the one with the egine is for an Auto... i need a manual ECU dont i?

gigity2008
03-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Nollywood.

I was doing some research and i found that the 30v ACK engine was availble in a A4 from 1995.... so technically if i had a 95-96 ACK,ALG ECU the dash cluster should be compatible??

That must mean the ACK engine was realised with two different wiring looms? 1 to fit the later ECU... damn these ECU's must be rare! hmmmmm

gigity2008
03-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Nollywood.

I was doing some research and i found that the 30v ACK engine was availble in a A4 from 1995.... so technically if i had a 95-96 ACK,ALG ECU the dash cluster should be compatible??

That must mean the ACK engine was realised with two different wiring looms? 1 to fit the later ECU... damn these ECU's must be rare! hmmmmm

I take that back..... It appears it was never released until 97 however...

Question.....

The wiring loom in the 95/96 AAH 12v and 99 ACK 30v appear on VAGCAT to be exactaly the same in every way.... so what would happen if a AAH 12v ECU was running a 30v engine.... ?

Nollywood
03-23-2012, 01:58 AM
So its seems that the hardest thing in your opionion was the cluster conversion. hmmmm

Its the only area i know shit about, im no auto elec, damn it!

I didn't convert my cluster, with the immo delete, there was no need to.

Nollywood
03-23-2012, 02:01 AM
I take that back..... It appears it was never released until 97 however...

Question.....

The wiring loom in the 95/96 AAH 12v and 99 ACK 30v appear on VAGCAT to be exactaly the same in every way.... so what would happen if a AAH 12v ECU was running a 30v engine.... ?

It wouldn't work. The wiring for 12 and 30V engines are very different. The images on Vagcat are generic, so will pretty much "show" the same engine harness for all V6 models. In reality, completely different.

Nollywood
03-23-2012, 02:03 AM
A manual ECU would be ideal, on later-style ECU, auto versions can be coded for manual. I doubt the older-style ones can be done. Possibly, but idk.

I didn't do the immo delete myself. I sent it to Poland, and it was done there. Those guys know their onions.

gigity2008
03-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Nollywood,

Thanks again for your insite, your saving me heaps of time... I have 1 last question (hopefully)

instead of deleting the Immo? Cant i just recode my keys with VAGTACHO? ive sucessfully used the program to read my eprom and code keys b4... shouldnt i be able to read the eprom of the new dash and reprogram my keys to suit?

cheers case

Nollywood
03-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Nollywood,

Thanks again for your insite, your saving me heaps of time... I have 1 last question (hopefully)

instead of deleting the Immo? Cant i just recode my keys with VAGTACHO? ive sucessfully used the program to read my eprom and code keys b4... shouldnt i be able to read the eprom of the new dash and reprogram my keys to suit?

cheers case

If you have the new dash from the ACK-engined car, possibly. I don't think the new-style ECU's are that easy to flash to accept the transponder code from the older keys. Your key will be the older one carried over from the B4 Audi 80.

If I'd known the US B5 didn't have immo at the time, I would have simply bought one for my conversion. This was quite some time ago, back in 2006.