PDA

View Full Version : check engine code need help!

mslizzy
03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
hello everyone! i recently got a hand me down audi a4 1.8 and there's a check engine light on. I had a good friend of mine check it and he gave me two codes p0411 and p0136. I am a girl and i don't understand anything he said! Can anyone help me out on what to do? I'm kind of tight on money so if you can tell me what needs to be done I can tell me friend to do. Thanks so much!

bez101
03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
this is the P0411 code

16795/P0411/001041 - Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow Detected

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Hoses/Pipes to/between Components faulty/clogged
Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101) faulty
Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299) faulty
Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112) faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components Check Secondary Air Injection Hoses/Pipes for Carbonization

Check Secondary Air Injection Pump (V101)
Check Secondary Air Injection Pump Relay (J299)
Check Secondary Air Injection Solenoid Valve (N112)

P0136 i think its the lamba sensor
Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

mslizzy
03-22-2012, 02:37 PM
is it expensive to repair?

bez101
03-22-2012, 02:43 PM
well im in the uk so dont really know the prices in the states
im sure some one els will pop in and advise you

Lornnn
03-22-2012, 03:19 PM
P0411, as bez said, has to do with a pump that deals with emissions.
i personally don't even have mine plugged in, the car runs fine
but i'm not sure what california emissions laws / smog checks are like

P0136 could be an O2 sensor for the exhaust or indicate a bad catalytic converter which can be had for about $90

ianwpb
03-22-2012, 04:00 PM
I had P0411 and it went away after I replaced my vacuum lines.

mslizzy
03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
good morning everyone. My friend told me I could "replace the o2 sensor, just go find out where it is and how to do it and i'll do it for you" can anyone help me out?

bez101
03-23-2012, 09:45 AM
good morning everyone. My friend told me I could "replace the o2 sensor, just go find out where it is and how to do it and i'll do it for you" can anyone help me out?

well the 02 sensor is in the exhaust
and if your mate has to ask where it is and how to do it
you should think of finding someone that knows something about cars
does he even have any tools ?

mslizzy
03-23-2012, 09:58 AM
well the 02 sensor is in the exhaust
and if your mate has to ask where it is and how to do it
you should think of finding someone that knows something about cars
does he even have any tools ?

is that the one in the "bank 1 sensor 2" one?

SS92
03-23-2012, 10:05 AM
is that the one in the "bank 1 sensor 2" one?

Yes, and they're on sale at ecstuning.com Half off if you are AEB/AWM/ATW engine code. What year is your a4?

mslizzy
03-23-2012, 10:14 AM
it is a 2001. also is it hard to replace it?

Turbo Nerd
03-23-2012, 10:19 AM
No it is pretty easy to replace, just make sure he has the correct o2 socket.

Also welcome to the forums have any pictures of the car?

Seerlah
03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Look on the back of the engine, there is the combination valve for your Secondary Air Injection Pump. There is a braided vacuum line that goes to a solenoid under the intake manifold. More than likely, this vacuum line just needs to be replaced because it is broke. Cheap fix.

In the pic below, the Secondary Air Injection Pump is on the left and the combination valve is on the right.
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee147/seerlah/DSC03322.jpg

mslizzy
03-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Does anyone know how to get to the o2 sensor, if its downstream or upstream or any tutorials on how to do it? thanks so much

MrxSiilent
03-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Sensor 2 is the by the cat converter. I think its a 7/8 wrench. Not really sure

Seerlah
03-24-2012, 11:04 PM
22mm or 7/8" wrench (what I use) will work. There are also o2 sensor sockets built for the sole purpose of removal of this, but they can be a pain to work with. My suggestion is to spray around the thread area with PB Blaster (it is meant to penetrate, to make it easy to undo), let it soak, then use force to get it out. If you don't have the strength, ask a male friend or relative to break it loose. It is better to remove the connector first from the stock harness, as the line will twist when turning the o2 sensor. And when placing the new one back on, place some anti-seize on the threads before placing it back. Also, wait till the sensor is in the bung before connecting it to the harness. The line will twist and possibly kink if you don't.

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 12:06 AM
22mm or 7/8" wrench (what I use) will work. There are also o2 sensor sockets built for the sole purpose of removal of this, but they can be a pain to work with. My suggestion is to spray around the thread area with PB Blaster (it is meant to penetrate, to make it easy to undo), let it soak, then use force to get it out. If you don't have the strength, ask a male friend or relative to break it loose. It is better to remove the connector first from the stock harness, as the line will twist when turning the o2 sensor. And when placing the new one back on, place some anti-seize on the threads before placing it back. Also, wait till the sensor is in the bung before connecting it to the harness. The line will twist and possibly kink if you don't.

i appreicate your help although 80% of what you said doesn't make sense, ill try my best. xD

Seerlah
03-25-2012, 06:53 AM
100% of what I said made sense. You only comprehended 80% of it [;)]. Things usually are like that in text, but make sense once you get to it. It's easy, and you'll figure it out. Also, replacement parts are cheaper online than buying from either parts stores or the dealership. Google Shopping is a really good internet tool for finding best prices.

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 01:40 PM
100% of what I said made sense. You only comprehended 80% of it [;)]. Things usually are like that in text, but make sense once you get to it. It's easy, and you'll figure it out. Also, replacement parts are cheaper online than buying from either parts stores or the dealership. Google Shopping is a really good internet tool for finding best prices.

could you be so kind to send me a link to where i can get a cheap sensor for my problem? thank you again

Seerlah
03-25-2012, 04:48 PM
I'll need to know what year vehicle you have.

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 07:33 PM
I'll need to know what year vehicle you have.

ianwpb
03-25-2012, 07:41 PM
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Emission/Oxygen_Sensor/ES8367/

That's a great sale

redline380
03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
i wouldnt just start throwing parts at it, hoping it will go away. that can get expensive. odds are it isnt the sensor thats faulty. maybe its just doing its job and detecting something that is wrong?

Seerlah
03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I didn;t research the code P0136 till now. And as mentioned above, don't replace it just yet. Usually, there are specific codes related to your o2 sensor being faulty, such as no heating, low voltage, etc. The P0136 is rather vague at just stating it is malfunctioning. Fix your SAI issue first, and see what happens with that o2 sensor code.

And you should get into the habit of looking up CEL codes yourself. When your CEL comes on, go to Autozone and have them scan it for free. Write down the codes, and look them up here (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes). It will make you feel much better when you are able to fix it yourself, and you learn things along the way. This will beneficial for any future occurences you have with any vehicle, with knowing how to diagnose things easily and not have a mechanic tell you what you can do on your own. Besides that, mechanics are not always correct.

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 08:21 PM
I didn;t research the code P0136 till now. And as mentioned above, don't replace it just yet. Usually, there are specific codes related to your o2 sensor being faulty, such as no heating, low voltage, etc. The P0136 is rather vague at just stating it is malfunctioning. Fix your SAI issue first, and see what happens with that o2 sensor code.

And you should get into the habit of looking up CEL codes yourself. When your CEL comes on, go to Autozone and have them scan it for free. Write down the codes, and look them up here (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes). It will make you feel much better when you are able to fix it yourself, and you learn things along the way. This will beneficial for any future occurences you have with any vehicle, with knowing how to diagnose things easily and not have a mechanic tell you what you can do on your own. Besides that, mechanics are not always correct.

Autozone as well as every other auto parts store no longer does scans, i've checked everywhere, luckily i had a friend who had a scanner.

Seerlah
03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
With scans, the first thing you want to do is clear the codes. Then go by the codes on the next time your CEL pops up. The reason for this is the codes you pulled up first time around could have been stored from the past, and may not pertain to your current issue. To the the point, you may be chasing a phantom that does not even exist. It happens...a lot.

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know how I can get to the secondary air injection system and how to track down my problem? im trying to look for it myself, I am currently unemployed and don't have the money to seek a mechanic. I apologize for bothering everyone but I have no where else to go.

Seerlah
03-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Don't apologize. What you think these forum boards are for. I saved thousands of dollars over the years by taking people's advice on this site. But your incorrect flow does not have to do with the pump itself (shouldn't, anyways). It should have something do do with the plumbing on it. For example, hose with a rip in it. Did you check the vacuum line on the combination valve like I stated before?

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
I cannot find that vaccum line and combination valve. The area is sooo small I can barely see past the top.

ianwpb
03-25-2012, 08:41 PM
The SAI is on the lower passenger side area of the engine bay. It's under the airbox. Seerlah posted a picture of it in post 13. The thing on the left.

Like I said earlier, check out your vacuum lines. If they look at all frayed or cracked replace them. It's super cheap and it could easily be what's causing your CEL.

EDIT - Oops, didn't see Seerlahs post.

mslizzy
03-25-2012, 08:48 PM
thank you so much you guys! i'll check first thing tomorrow morning and keep you updated! I really hope everything turns out fine, i really like the audi!

AudiLee
03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Help! i spent a good hour looking for the combi valve and stuff, I cannot find it! i had someone open up where the air filter is to look under and there was nothing there! can someone guide to me where it is? i have a 2001 audi a4 1.8t front wheel drive.

Seerlah
03-28-2012, 04:46 PM
The Combi-valve is located at the back of the cylinder head. As for the SAI, it is easiest to get at it from under the car. Photobucket has me on punishment, or else the pic of what it looks like would show up.

AudiLee
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
The Combi-valve is located at the back of the cylinder head. As for the SAI, it is easiest to get at it from under the car. Photobucket has me on punishment, or else the pic of what it looks like would show up.

so if i find those two, im suppose to trace each vacuum line to see if there's a leak?

mslizzy
04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi guys, what are the chances I have an exhaust leak? I haven't changed the o2 sensor yet since after paying bills and stuff I haven't had extra money to get an o2 sensor.

Seerlah
04-06-2012, 01:06 PM
The exhaust has nothing to do with the secondary air injection system. The SAI pumps extra air into the cylinder head to make the cat converter heat up faster. If you have an exhaust leak, you can usually hear it if your vehicle is next to an object that can reflect the noise. It will sound like a rasp or rattle when you rev the engine.