PDA

View Full Version : Decent Budget Brake Setup?

B6T
03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
I've looking to do the brakes on my A4 in the next few weeks and I'm not sure what a good budget set up is (not interested in spending $3000+ on a big brake setup).

I drive about 400km a week which includes commuting and driving around town. I plan on taking the car out to a few lapping days or HPDEs this summer so there will be some heavy use of the brakes. But for the most part, I will need the brakes to be usable on the street.

I was initially planning on getting OEM Zimmerman blank rotors, front and rear, with Hawk HPS pads, stainless lines, and good fluid from ECS Tuning.

Then I noticed these bad-boys and figured I could save some money this way. I'd be using the rotors and tossing the pads (unless someone has positive experience with them...) They claim to be made in Canada, so they can't be that bad, eh:

eBay Front Rotors (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Front-Kit-Performance-Cross-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-/220918150229?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAudi%7CModel%3AA4+Quattro%7CYear%3A199 7&hash=item336fbf7455#ht_3612wt_1396)
eBay Rear Rotors (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rear-Kit-Performance-Cross-Drilled-Slotted-Brake-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-/220976673905?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AAudi%7CModel%3AA4+Quattro%7CYear%3A199 7&hash=item33733c7471#ht_3632wt_1396)

If those are crap, what rotors do you guys suggest? Are slotted/drilled rotors worth the extra money or are plain rotors good enough? What about the A8 rotor upgrade?

Pads? I've heard good things about the Hawk HPS pads but I noticed the PBRs are ceramic as well, and priced a lot lower.

Lines? Are any stainless lines better than others? Are stainless lines even a worthwhile upgrade on the B5?

Thanks for the help.

Seerlah
03-21-2012, 05:20 PM
-A8/TT upgrade
-SS lines
-Better fluid
-high performance pads
-Tyrol Sport slider pin kit

Most budget friendly way to max out your stock setup. I have that setup, and picked up many parts for cheap/used.

034Motorsport
03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
The 312mmx25mm A8 rotor and TT caliper carrier mentioned above is a great choice for someone who wouldn't mind spending a bit extra during their next brake service in order to get some increasing braking performance. The rotors are larger in diameter, increasing leverage.

Cheap and effective, and your pad choice will have more to do with your braking then anything.

ballinb5
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
EXACT same setup as seerlah. still waiting to flush the fluid and put lines so we'll see how much that will improve it.

Also, the hps pads dont bite enough yet, but I heard they need some break in mileage and also i haven't flushed the fluid yet - so im hopeful that will improve the feel a lot.

CCA4
03-22-2012, 06:30 AM
I have the A8/TT setup as well and I'm quite happy with it. Slotted rotors, ECS Red Stuff pads. The pads are a bit squeaky when they're cold but after they warm up they're great! I also have the TyrolSport sliders but I've been too lazy to install them as of yet lol

M-Hood
03-22-2012, 08:59 AM
The A8/TT setup is plenty, that is what I have on my A4 which makes over 600whp.

Scientist
03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
This is what I put in my car.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3068A0A0A3323602.aspx

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3071A0A0A2593227.aspx

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Braking/Lines/ES1162/

If I'm not careful, I'll be eating glass. The stopping power is amazing.

ricekikr
03-22-2012, 04:54 PM
MY A8/TT/HPS brakes are no where as powerful (or as I expected) as they are advertised/reviewed. Heck they can't even lock up my somewhat sticky tires (140threadwear)

A8/TT + slotted + Hawk HPS, also fade badly in spirited highway drives. During a highway funrun, mine almost felt like I didn't have any brakes after maybe 15-20min of 50-100-50-100mph (traffic), compared to my friend (a4b5 also) who has Stoptechs, his didn't have any fade at all during the same run (around 1hr total). I couldn't go WOT the whole run just to let the brakes cool. Still haven't gone to the track, so no track fade test yet.

It also feels weak when doing a SINGLE hard braking from 155-60mph. Not sure if HPS or A8 or both caused fade.

For daily driving it works great, they work well for the occasional WOT runs but for Very spirited (define?) not so much.

034Motorsport
03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
MY A8/TT/HPS brakes are no where as powerful (or as I expected) as they are advertised/reviewed. Heck they can't even lock up my somewhat sticky tires (140threadwear)

A8/TT + slotted + Hawk HPS, also fade badly in spirited highway drives. During a highway funrun, mine almost felt like I didn't have any brakes after maybe 15-20min of 50-100-50-100mph (traffic), compared to my friend (a4b5 also) who has Stoptechs, his didn't have any fade at all during the same run (around 1hr total). I couldn't go WOT the whole run just to let the brakes cool. Still haven't gone to the track, so no track fade test yet.

It also feels weak when doing a SINGLE hard braking from 155-60mph. Not sure if HPS or A8 or both caused fade.

For daily driving it works great, they work well for the occasional WOT runs but for Very spirited (define?) not so much.

You didn't mention anything about fluid; if you have crappy fluid or a bad bleed, any brake kit will fade quickly, especially from the speeds you are talking about.

Secondly, 90% of A4 owners looking into this kit aren't tracking their car or running 140 tread wear tires. Hawk HPS pads are more aggressive then stock, but they certainly aren't anything more then a street pad. Expecting more from a street pad made for a car that has 150hp stock and only a larger rotor, is way too much.

But, I'll give you a comparison: on my B5 S4 that had GT turbos, I ran 6 piston Porsche calipers with 330mm rotors up front and 300mm rotors in the rear, and I can get it to fade pretty easily on a downhill back country run with Carbotech XP10 "race" pads. That is on 255 street tires. However, I just modify my driving style ever so slightly and don't pretend I'm on the track when I'm not. Even on the track, my times when pushing brakes to fading to driving just under the limit of my equipment is very minuscule, and I ain't racing anyways!

For me, the A8/TT option is no where near enough, but should be for the vast majority of people.

ricekikr
03-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah forgot about the brake fluid. It's still the old stock one, but bled properly. That's probably why it faded to almost zero stopping power so quickly (pedal wasn't on the floor, it was still stiff but just wouldn't slow down quickly enough). I do have Motul 5.1, gona put it in when I get less lazy.

Secondly, 90% of A4 owners looking into this kit aren't tracking their car or running 140 tread wear tires.

OP did say "a few lapping days or HPDEs this summer so there will be some heavy use of the brakes."

Anyways, for me

For me, the A8/TT option is ALMOST enough, but should be for the vast majority of people.

Seerlah
03-23-2012, 07:35 AM
I have the A8/TT setup as well and I'm quite happy with it. Slotted rotors, ECS Red Stuff pads. The pads are a bit squeaky when they're cold but after they warm up they're great! I also have the TyrolSport sliders but I've been too lazy to install them as of yet lol

I goofed installing mine, ended up getting a replacement caliper, and drove down to Tyrol Sport yesterday to have them install it. Mike is a rather cool guy, so he let me hang around inside of his shop. What you want to do is take a sanding bit with either a power drill or Dremel, and sand out the insides of where the old bushings came out and new ones are to be placed in. If you can't easily just slide them in with your fingers, don't force it. This is where I goofed, could not take it back out, tried to drill it out, just said f*ck it, ordered a replacement caliper, talked to Mike at Tyrol Sport about it, he understood completely, compensated 2 bushings I messed up (it's cool that he did not make me pay extra for the replacements), and now they are on my vehicle.

ballinb5
03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
just had the ecstuning ss lines put in and fluid flush with ate super blue. Didnt seem to help improve the pedal feel but i think the stopping is better now.

I have:
hps pads all around
312mm a8 rotor
ss front lines
tyrolsport bushing kit
super blue fluid

2stroke
03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
-312 mm disc upgrade
-SS lines
-Better fluid
-high performance pads
-Tyrol Sport slider pin kit

Most budget friendly way to max out your stock setup.

I did go almost exactly the same on my B5 Avant Quattro.

* Front , I went from 288 mm disc to 312 mm disc ( Zimmermann ).
* Rear , I went from 245 mm disc to 255 mm disc ( Brembo ).
* SS lines.
* ATE Racing Super Blue brake fluid.
* Ferodo "Premiere" brake pads.
* Tyrol Sport , slider pin kit.

[wrench]

CCA4
03-30-2012, 06:31 AM
I goofed installing mine, ended up getting a replacement caliper, and drove down to Tyrol Sport yesterday to have them install it. Mike is a rather cool guy, so he let me hang around inside of his shop. What you want to do is take a sanding bit with either a power drill or Dremel, and sand out the insides of where the old bushings came out and new ones are to be placed in. If you can't easily just slide them in with your fingers, don't force it. This is where I goofed, could not take it back out, tried to drill it out, just said f*ck it, ordered a replacement caliper, talked to Mike at Tyrol Sport about it, he understood completely, compensated 2 bushings I messed up (it's cool that he did not make me pay extra for the replacements), and now they are on my vehicle.

Is this to make clearance between the caliper and the bushing, or the bushing and the slide pin? I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying, just wanted to make sure before I start grinding on shit lol.

hazard860
05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
so, is this setup still using the stock a4 caliper? or the a8 caliper? tt caliper?

ricekikr
05-14-2012, 08:39 AM
Stock A4 calipers & pads + TT caliper brackets + A8 rotors.

mbudden
05-14-2012, 08:41 AM
The 312mmx25mm A8 rotor and TT caliper carrier mentioned above is a great choice for someone who wouldn't mind spending a bit extra during their next brake service in order to get some increasing braking performance. The rotors are larger in diameter, increasing leverage.

Cheap and effective, and your pad choice will have more to do with your braking then anything.

so, is this setup still using the stock a4 caliper? or the a8 caliper? tt caliper?

Have got to read the thread.

Seerlah
05-14-2012, 08:43 AM
A8 Rotor
TT caliper carrier/bracket
Stock caliper

Is this to make clearance between the caliper and the bushing, or the bushing and the slide pin? I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying, just wanted to make sure before I start grinding on shit lol.

Pardon I missed this. You take out the stock sliding pin and the rubber bushing. If you can't place the Tyrol Sport bushing in by hand, you need to sand off the surface rust inside the hole so that the bushing can be slid in by hand. Over the years, the surface rust builds up. The caliper itself is rather solid, and there is just no way a sanding bit is going to take of any material of the caliper. But it will remove the surface rust needed to make the bushing be able to be pressed in by hand.

RS4Avant2be
05-14-2012, 10:26 AM
I did the TT/A8 front upgrade as well, w/ StopTech cross-drilled rotors and PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads front and rear.

Upgraded rears with 255x10mm A6 2002 3.0L rotors (StopTech cross-drilled), and A4 B6 3.0L rear caliper carrier (8E0-615-425G).

Inexpensive way too upgrade and maintain a pleasing, balanced system for everyday use.

I don't track my car.

Seerlah
05-14-2012, 12:54 PM
^Nice to know a budget friendly rear setup. Going to do that eventually. Thanks!

Polski
05-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Random question bump. When you guys speak of the a8 rotors with TT calipers, do you mean for the front only? or is that front and back??

My rears are finished, to the point they do a grindiing noise at all times..So i was thinking of the A8/TT route for the back only. Previous owner only changed the fronts...

Seerlah
05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Only for the fronts. Budget friendly rear setup is in post#19.

Polski
05-30-2012, 06:56 PM
My eye must have skipped that, Thanks Seerlah!

I'm assuming that the B6 a4 3.0l caliper carriers just mount to the rear stock calipers without any fussing?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Our A8 GEOMET rotors with TT carriers is a great budget brake kit for the fronts. I highly recommend GEOMET rotors. They will withstand the harshest conditions. I've had mine on my car for about 2 months now. They still look as new as they did when I bought them, not a single speck of rust. We've thoroughly tested these rotors to hold up to intense road salt as well. Be sure to check out the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzs0zpUCrfU&feature=g-upl

Click HERE to order or for more information. (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Braking/Big_Brake_OEM/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/267149_x600.jpg (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Braking/Big_Brake_OEM/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

RS4Avant2be
05-31-2012, 09:27 AM
My eye must have skipped that, Thanks Seerlah!

I'm assuming that the B6 a4 3.0l caliper carriers just mount to the rear stock calipers without any fussing?

REAR BRAKE UPGRADE - EDITED

The caliper carriers replace the old ones and bolt right up. You could replace the hardware but these are the same as those on your car [lower bolt (N10181502 x 2 - M10x40) caliper carrier to hub;
upper bolt (N10240901 x 2 - M10x60 caliper carrier to hub; self-locking bolt (N01024124 x 4 - M8x21) caliper to carrier].

The only problem I had with this install was my first set of caliper carriers were labeled/boxed wrong and ended up being the same ones I had taken off (too narrow), so I ordered a set from Sunset Audi.

You will need a Brake Caliper Reset Tool (P/N MN3272) for the rears otherwise you will not get your new pads installed. Good luck.

auh
05-31-2012, 11:33 AM
So you take calipers off a TT and rotors from an A8 and what else would I need for my 98? Can I use my SS lines from my stock calipers or do I need new ones of those also?

Seerlah
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
TT caliper "carriers". You use the stock caliper and A8 rotor. SS lines is just a bonus, along with better fluid. And you use SS lines designed for out platform (ie 96-01 Audi A4 Quattro Stainless Steal Brake Lines).

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
So you take calipers off a TT and rotors from an A8 and what else would I need for my 98? Can I use my SS lines from my stock calipers or do I need new ones of those also?

You don't need the calipers from a TT just the caliper carrier, you'll use your calipers. The TT carrier allows the caliper to be pushed further out from the spindle to accept the larger A8 rotors.

Jason

auh
05-31-2012, 11:43 AM
So what's the advantage of this if you're not upgrading the caliper? Or am I still slightly misunderstanding and it's the A8 caliper and rotor with the TT carriers?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
So what's the advantage of this if you're not upgrading the caliper? Or am I still slightly misunderstanding and it's the A8 caliper and rotor with the TT carriers?

By moving the caliper further away from the spindle you are increasing the brake torque. More brake torque = more stopping power.

Jason

auh
05-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Got it, good to know!

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-31-2012, 11:53 AM
Got it, good to know!

Pair that kit with our stainless lines and some performance pads you will have substantially improved your brakes! If you plan to track the car I'd run some brake fluid that's able to with stand higher temps so you don't boil your brake fluid.

Jason

auh
05-31-2012, 11:54 AM
I already have the ECS SS lines, thats why I was wondering if I could still use them because they are great!

auh
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
does it matter what year A8 the rotors come from? and will this set up fit under my 16 inch wheels well?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
I already have the ECS SS lines, thats why I was wondering if I could still use them because they are great!

Awesome! Yes, you wont have to swap out your lines, just remove the carrier (2 bolts), install the new carrier, throw your GEOMET rotor on then install the caliper. DONE!

The rotors come off of a D2 A8 (97-02) but need to be the 312mm rotors. There's a VIN split for 2000 year models which use 323mm rotors ( which don't fit)

The A8 rotors will fit under 16inch wheels.

Jason

auh
05-31-2012, 12:08 PM
and what year am I pulling the carriers from?

ECS Tuning-Audi
05-31-2012, 12:11 PM
and what year am I pulling the carriers from?

MKI TT (98-07) 1.8T only

Jason

auh
05-31-2012, 12:13 PM
great thanks!

Polski
05-31-2012, 07:29 PM
I did the TT/A8 front upgrade as well, w/ StopTech cross-drilled rotors and PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads front and rear.

Upgraded rears with 255x10mm A6 2002 3.0L rotors (StopTech cross-drilled), and A4 B6 3.0L rear caliper carrier (8E0-615-425G).

Inexpensive way too upgrade and maintain a pleasing, balanced system for everyday use.

I don't track my car.

As far as the pads are concerned, one would need to chose pads for the B6 3.0l A4 as well correct? (to fit the upgraded carriers)

JumboBlack1.8
05-31-2012, 08:18 PM
http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=72459&title=fs-3a-ecs-stage-1-bbk-13-1-26quot-3b-2-piece-rotors&cat=49

RS4Avant2be
06-01-2012, 08:09 AM
The caliper carriers replace the old ones and bolt right up. You could replace the hardware but these are the same as those on your car [lower bolt (N10181502 x 2 - M10x40) caliper carrier to hub;
upper bolt (N10240901 x 2 - M10x60 caliper carrier to hub; self-locking bolt (N01024124 x 4 - M8x21) caliper to carrier].

The only problem I had with this install was my first set of caliper carriers were labeled/boxed wrong and ended up being the same ones I had taken off (too narrow), so I ordered a set from Sunset Audi.

You will need a Brake Caliper Reset Tool (P/N MN3272) for the rears otherwise you will not get your new pads installed. Good luck.

EDIT OF POST #25

My mistake!!!! I was referring to the Caliper Carriers (8EO-615-425G) not the caliper. Sorry.

Polski
06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
EDIT OF POST #25

My mistake!!!! I was referring to the Caliper Carriers (8EO-615-425G) not the caliper. Sorry.

No worries, I knew what you ment.
..now i just gotta find a set of b6 a4 3.0l carrier...ecs only has oem at 120 each... not very budget friendly.

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Interesting! I never knew there was an OEM BBK for the rear B5 Brakes. Great info!

Jason

Seerlah
06-01-2012, 12:56 PM
It's what these forum boards are for. Sharing information and helping others.

Jimmy G.
06-02-2012, 01:06 AM
Guys, I'm assuming we get the TT's front carriers for our fronts, and B6 3.0s rear carriers for our rear?

Edit: Anyone know offhand if we can source anything from the VW world?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Jimmy G.
06-03-2012, 04:01 PM
bump

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Guys, I'm assuming we get the TT's front carriers for our fronts, and B6 3.0s rear carriers for our rear?

Edit: Anyone know offhand if we can source anything from the VW world?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Correct about the carriers.

Jason

walky_talky20
06-05-2012, 07:38 AM
ECS Rear OEM Big Brake kit in 3...2...

RS4Avant2be
06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
FYI To put all info together in one place for rear brake upgrade:

Stage I - A6 Upgrade
Stock A4 (B5) Calipers and pads
(255 mm x 10 mm w/ 1.5" offset vs 245 mm stock)
A6 2002 3.0 & 2.7TL Q (C-5) rotors (10 ") [4B0-615-601-B]
A4 2002 3.0L Q (B6) rear caliper carriers [8E0-615-425-G]

Hardware (If you want to replace existing bolts)
Lower bolt [N10181502] - (2) M10 x 40 caliper to carrier hub
Upper bolt [N10240901] - (2) M10 x 60 caliper carrier to hub
Self locking bolt [N01024124] (4) M8 x 21 caliper to carrier

auh
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
ecs rear oem big brake kit in 3...2...

hahahahahaha

walky_talky20
06-05-2012, 12:01 PM
How about 2002 A6 4.2 rear brakes? They are 269X22mm rotors. Anybody know why those wouldn't work?

Polski
06-05-2012, 03:19 PM
How about 2002 A6 4.2 rear brakes? They are 269X22mm rotors. Anybody know why those wouldn't work?

that would be a much nicer upgrade than going from 245 to 255

walky_talky20
06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
So...I kid you not, but this happened:

After pondering this A6 4.2 upgrade at work, I swung by the shop on my way home. To my surprise, sitting in the bay awaiting services is a very nice C5 A6 4.2 quattro. Hmm... What services is it awaiting, you may ask? Not even lying, it needs rear brakes.

I can't make this stuff up. Needless to say, I will checking into B5 A4 quattro fitment momentarily.

Militant-Grunt
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I would say hp2 upgrade is the most worthwhile, yes, its slightly more costly, but you can find axles / uprights and hp2 calipers for next to nothing these days. Throw on a set of decent rotors and good pads and you can actually have fairly good stopping power. Single piston G60 brakes just cant keep up, pretty much useless from 90mph+ stops.

auh
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
will any other front carriers work besides TT? Trying to find one of these in a junk yard or on CL is hard!

walky_talky20
06-06-2012, 07:15 AM
^Tons of them on car-part under $50. If it wasn't said before: junkyards as a rule, don't sell the carrier without the caliper. You must buy the entire package. Even so, it still halves the cost of buying new TT brackets. I'm not aware of any other models that use that part. Probably A3's that we didn't get over here.

OK guys, I realize that nobody really cares about this, but I had to know anyway. And seriously, I don't know when I'll get another chance to do this. So I tried some A6 4.2 rear brakes on my car last night. Here is the donor specimen, a 2004 A6 4.2 quattro tiptronic:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05586.jpg

Rotor on my A4, looks good! (Had to remove dust shield for fitment):
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05576.jpg

Rotor seats well fitment looks promising:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05585.jpg

Then I run into problems. The rotor offset is not correct. The rotor ring sits too deep, not leaving enough room on the back side for the bracket:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05577.jpg

If the bracket is installed, and the rotor held at approximately the correct offset (like the photo above), we can ascertain the offset discrepancy - which as near as I could measure was somewhere around 8mm:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05578.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05579.jpg

Anyway, while I'm here I might as well compare the brackets:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05582.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05580.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/DSC05581.jpg

So there you have it, folks. No 4.2 rears for us.

RS4Avant2be
06-06-2012, 08:13 AM
I have a note that another possibility could be using 256x22mm rotors with this carrier [8D0-615-425-G], but can't confirm it.

walky_talky20
06-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I have a note that another possibility could be using 256x22mm rotors with this carrier [8D0-615-425-G], but can't confirm it.

256x22 would be B5 S4 rear rotors. The S4 bracket would be 8D0-615-425. The number you gave (8D0-615-425-G) is not a valid part number as far as I can tell.

The A6 269mm setup and the S4 256mm setup are very similar. Both are a 22mm wide vented rotor, and as far as I can tell, the calipers are identical other than line hookup provisions and the e-brake levers.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4--2.7T/Braking/Calipers/ES3787/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-C5_A6-Quattro-4.2/Braking/Calipers/ES240177/

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-06-2012, 08:52 AM
ECS Rear OEM Big Brake kit in 3...2...

Here ya go!

Cheers!

Jason

** Edit - removed link until correct kit is built for B5

coolgraymemo
06-06-2012, 08:56 AM
Lol

walky_talky20
06-06-2012, 09:10 AM
^Nice work Jason. Getting crap done. [;)]

Side note: Looks like you guys have the 245mm B6 bracket available aftermarket from Lucas for half the price of OEM. Any possibility of sourcing the 255mm bracket through the same channel?

RS4Avant2be
06-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Jason, In your "Applcation Guide" on your website you have listed only the A4 B6 and 1.8T models. You should also list the A4 B5 and 2.8L models.

walky_talky20
06-06-2012, 09:56 AM
^Indeed.

And hey, wait a second....the rotors in those kits are B6 255's. For B5 fitment we need A6 255's with 1.5" offset (according to RS4Avant2be). Those kits won't work for us as pictured. There needs to be separate kits for B5's - which I thought was the entire idea here. The upgrade to 255's on the B6 platform was a given because they came stock in that configuration.

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
^Indeed.

And hey, wait a second....the rotors in those kits are B6 255's. For B5 fitment we need A6 255's with 1.5" offset (according to RS4Avant2be). Those kits won't work for us as pictured. There needs to be separate kits for B5's - which I thought was the entire idea here. The upgrade to 255's on the B6 platform was a given because they came stock in that configuration.

Whoops! I'll have this corrected with 4B0-615-601-B rotors. I'll also look into if there is an aftermarket carrier available for a better price to bring the cost down of the kit.

Thanks everyone!

Jason

walky_talky20
06-06-2012, 10:47 AM
No worries Jason. Nice to see some new things for the B5 platform. Even if they aren't....new, lol.

ECS Tuning-Audi
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
No worries Jason. Nice to see some new things for the B5 platform. Even if they aren't....new, lol.

Absolutely! I always hated how the B5 A4 rear brakes were so tiny, especially if you have an open face wheel that exposes a lot of the brakes.

Jason

1ch1ban
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
anyone using this setuptoo? how is EBC? any input?

This is what I put in my car.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3068A0A0A3323602.aspx

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3071A0A0A2593227.aspx

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Braking/Lines/ES1162/

If I'm not careful, I'll be eating glass. The stopping power is amazing.

RS4Avant2be
10-18-2012, 11:19 AM
As far as the pads are concerned, one would need to chose pads for the B6 3.0l A4 as well correct? (to fit the upgraded carriers)

No. Like the front setup, you use B5 A4 pads. All your switching out are the rotors and brackets (caliper carrier). You retain the existing A4 calipers.