PDA

View Full Version : Finally fixed my cluster. After 6 years of looking at the dead pixels.

a4_1.8t_01
03-20-2012, 03:04 PM
It wasnt too bad. I was nervous at first but it turned out to be pretty easy. Replacement screen was $38 from ebay. Took over a month though dont buy them from China sellers. If anyone needs this done in NYC let me know.

R1CH-5100
03-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Do you have any tips from your experience? I'll have to do this as well soon or later.

mbudden
03-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Do you have any tips from your experience? I'll have to do this as well soon or later.

If you're not up for the task, I remember there being a service that did it for you. Though I think that requires you shipping the cluster to them, and I can't remember if it's in CA or not. It's been a while.

a4_1.8t_01
03-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Best tip I have is I used flux paste after the desoldering the ribbon from the board. The flux helped solder stick to the board and kept the solder from bridging to the pads. Without flux it wouldnt work. You have to clean the flux after very well. I learned that the hard way. Put everything back together and the screen was blurry. Took it all apart again and cleaned it really good. That solved it.