PDA

View Full Version : Window Clips

SS92
03-18-2012, 04:13 PM
So today while driving, my window slid into the door and wouldn't come back up. Awesome. So I pulled the panel a little while ago and found these wonderful green clips at the bottom of the door. I assume these hold the windows in position. Is there a DIY to replace these? Are there ones that are metal rather than this flimsy ass plastic?? All I can find are regulator motor replacements although my motor is fine.

Pic for ref.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/961/48597034934406510873422.jpg

m_haiser
03-18-2012, 04:31 PM
It's easy to replace if you get the new ones off eBay. Just get the clips and you will figure it out. Took me like twenty minutes

Mad Cow
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
It's easy to replace if you get the new ones off eBay. Just get the clips and you will figure it out. Took me like twenty minutes

This, if those plastic clips survived for over 10 years I'm sure a new set will outlast your car. They're cheap and easy to replace, although the only place I found them was an ebay seller from Turkey so it took a while to get them.

00SantorinS4
03-20-2012, 03:55 AM
I got the white ones from eBay and opted for the 2nd day air for like 10 bucks or so (my window was stuck down as well but I had zip tied it up in the meantime) back to new now and way easier then replacing a Fkin regulator.
Good luck man.

SS92
03-20-2012, 05:21 AM
I got the white ones from eBay and opted for the 2nd day air for like 10 bucks or so (my window was stuck down as well but I had zip tied it up in the meantime) back to new now and way easier then replacing a Fkin regulator.
Good luck man.

I had acutally just ordered them yesterday afternoon, but I cant seem to figure out where they go?? I'll have to reference the driver side to figure it out I suppose. Got any tips? Mine get here friday, seller didnt offer next day so I'm stuck with standard and a duct tape window... lol

00SantorinS4
03-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Here's my thread on it. Not a whole lot of info but you -should- be able to zip tie the window up to the frame for now (instead of using shitty duct tape)
The clips snap on the the black rail and the metal line goes through it. It took me a few times at looking at my drivers side (non-broken) regulator to understand
how they go on. It's not the most obvious way and you do have to put a bit of force to snap them onto the rail (but the new ones can take the force so don't be a pussy about it)
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/450199-Why-I-love-our-cars-SO-much?highlight=window

OldAudiA4
12-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Here's my thread on it. Not a whole lot of info but you -should- be able to zip tie the window up to the frame for now (instead of using shitty duct tape)
The clips snap on the the black rail and the metal line goes through it. It took me a few times at looking at my drivers side (non-broken) regulator to understand
how they go on. It's not the most obvious way and you do have to put a bit of force to snap them onto the rail (but the new ones can take the force so don't be a pussy about it)
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/450199-Why-I-love-our-cars-SO-much?highlight=window

Does the regulator frame/assembly have to be taken out of the door? As in drill the rivets out and re-revit it? Or can you fit the clips on with the frame remaining in the door?

ricekikr
12-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Does the regulator frame/assembly have to be taken out of the door? As in drill the rivets out and re-revit it? Or can you fit the clips on with the frame remaining in the door?
Clips can be done without removing frame. Just be careful not to strip the bolt head.

OldAudiA4
12-09-2014, 01:43 AM
Clips can be done without removing frame. Just be careful not to strip the bolt head.

Any idea how? I find that to get the clip to "click" onto the black metal frame while also sliding into the metal part that connects to the glass impossible.

Mad Cow
12-09-2014, 09:02 AM
It's difficult but doable. On the first side I took out the whole window frame assembly but the second one I didn't remove anything. I remember something about pulling the wire with the nub to the side to make it easier to pop into the clip, pretty sure I got really creative with pliers and screwdrivers to pop it in.

OldAudiA4
12-25-2014, 05:00 PM
For future reference, I couldn't do it myself but a mechanic did it (took a bit over an hour with mucking around). We had to remove the two metal brackets which connect the glass to the replacement clips with a star headed ratchet. Without removing these metal brackets, we would have been unable to change the plastic clips.