PDA

View Full Version : Tapered Bearings

BaconBait
03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
After doing my sixth wheel bearing replacement, I'm sick of having to press the bearing in and out. It's a pain I could do without. It would be nice to have something that's easy to replace or rebuild.

With that, anyone know if there are any tapered wheel bearing kits that will work on our cars?

Timtheguru
03-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Yup! Well, it at least works on my S4... when you're turning it to remove it use a breaker bar and an extension on it for more leverage. Takes a while, but well worth it. :D

My kinda crappy DIY.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4/msgs/126569.phtml

Timtheguru
03-15-2012, 10:57 PM
BTW, I did my 11th wheel bearing the other weekend.... fun times!

BaconBait
03-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I have the tool.

I'm looking for tapered bearing that will work for our cars.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ko4em3KEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This way you just service the bearing and no presses are required.

Timtheguru
03-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Doh, would of been better if I understood what you meant haha.. that sounds pretty cool, only problem I see is when they fail due to rust, then you have to take the whole thing out anyway. Otherwise, I think, it would fail prematurely if you rebuild it when it was rusty?

BaconBait
03-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Rust? It's packed with grease. I've never heard of a bearing failing because of rust.

A1 A2 German
03-16-2012, 02:06 AM
10th wheel bearing? 6th wheel bearing? 20th wheel bearing? 11th wheel bearing?

I don't understand....I had my A4 8 years and never touched one.....is that a Quattro problem?

blacka4
03-16-2012, 03:17 AM
the bearings you are looking for are for a sealed enclosure situation. they are protected from getting dirt inside them by being inside a housing or hub assembly. the bearings on our cars are one piece and sealed due to the fact they are out in the environment and don't have anything to protect them from getting water in them, except for the rubber seal that fails. These bearings and races will not work for our cars unless you find a away to protect them from the elements

Rust? It's packed with grease. I've never heard of a bearing failing because of rust.

you are correct its packed with grease, but there is nothing to keep that grease inside the bearing and Centrifugal force will squeeze the grease out of the bearing causing it to fail

This way you just service the bearing and no presses are required.

you can't just service the bearing with this form. you need to replace the race which will have to be pressed in and pressed out anyways. if you replace just the bearing you are effectively going to ruin a new bearing in a few hundred miles because the race gets pitted and doesn't have a smooth surface anymore. I work for a bus company and we put 50K miles on these kinds of bearings and have to replace the bearings and races. The bus business has now gone to Unitized bearings which is almost the same as the bearings that Audi used from the factory in a larger scale and we run 150K miles before we change these unitized bearings. instead of 50K miles

Timtheguru
03-16-2012, 08:54 AM

I don't understand....I had my A4 8 years and never touched one.....is that a Quattro problem?

Multiple cars for me...

BaconBait
03-16-2012, 09:15 AM

My original fronts went bad around 100k, original rears went at 120k, and I just replaced the fronts again at 150k.

BaconBait
03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
the bearings you are looking for are for a sealed enclosure situation. they are protected from getting dirt inside them by being inside a housing or hub assembly. the bearings on our cars are one piece and sealed due to the fact they are out in the environment and don't have anything to protect them from getting water in them, except for the rubber seal that fails. These bearings and races will not work for our cars unless you find a away to protect them from the elements

you are correct its packed with grease, but there is nothing to keep that grease inside the bearing and Centrifugal force will squeeze the grease out of the bearing causing it to fail

you can't just service the bearing with this form. you need to replace the race which will have to be pressed in and pressed out anyways. if you replace just the bearing you are effectively going to ruin a new bearing in a few hundred miles because the race gets pitted and doesn't have a smooth surface anymore. I work for a bus company and we put 50K miles on these kinds of bearings and have to replace the bearings and races. The bus business has now gone to Unitized bearings which is almost the same as the bearings that Audi used from the factory in a larger scale and we run 150K miles before we change these unitized bearings. instead of 50K miles

There go all my hopes and dreams.