PDA

View Full Version : New clutch installed, car won't start, squishy brake pedal

Jordan80
03-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Ok so we just finished up putting in the new clutch, flywheel, ect and when we got everything put back in we bled the clutch so there was no air in the lines. Clutch pedal is now squishy and even when it's engaged the car is still stuck in gear and it won't start. I'm thinking maybe it's an issue with the slave cylinder? The information screen on the dash still says push brake pedal to start, so it's not even reading the clutch. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

bmx_a4
03-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Did you remove any of the hydraulic lines for the clutch? Cuz if you didn't remove any lines, and all you did was replace the clutch and flywheel then bleeding was completely unnecessary.

Jordan80
03-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Did you remove any of the hydraulic lines for the clutch? Cuz if you didn't remove any lines, and all you did was replace the clutch and flywheel then bleeding was completely unnecessary.

No but I thought it was necessary after disconnecting the slave cylinder and hooking it back up, guess not

bmx_a4
03-15-2012, 08:45 AM
If all you did was unbolt it to move it out of the way, you shouldn't have to bleed it since you didn't let any air into the system.

Anyway, it sounds like something is binding when you push the clutch it, giving it that "squishy" feeling. If that's the case, it could be why the tranny won't shift out of gear. I would check to see if somehow the slave cylinder didn't get reinstalled properly.

Jordan80
03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
When we pulled the tranny we only disconnected it, We didn't actually take it off of the tranny so it was never reinstalled. Just the connections were hooked back up

Scientist
03-15-2012, 10:48 AM
One of two things.

1) you mounted the slave cylinder the wrong way or

2) your bleeder was not tighten properly.

Scientist
03-15-2012, 10:52 AM
One of two things.

1) you mounted the slave cylinder the wrong way or

2) your bleeder was not tighten properly.

Jordan80
03-15-2012, 11:45 AM
We didn't take the slave off the tranny at all so it was never remounted. And we checked the bleeder but I'll double check both of those, thanks

offroader1006
03-15-2012, 12:03 PM
it sounds like you have two separate problems.

The no start sounds like a misadjusted clutch pedal sensor. you can remove it and reset the adjustment, then reinstall it with the pedal in the rest position.

The squish pedal is either air still in the lines(I know you think you got it all, but it's been known to happen) a faulty cylinder or a leak.

Given the recent work I would flush the system again and see if you dont get more bubbles.

thenj3
03-15-2012, 03:48 PM
i hope you didnt install the clutch backwards. but ill agree with the others, theres most likely air still in the system

cornan
03-15-2012, 06:16 PM
Wow I can't wait for saturday for my transmission swap and new clutch install! This is soooo inspirational! Hope you get it figured out.[>_<]

Jordan80
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Well the car starts now, but even when the clutch is pushed in the wheels still spin if it's put in gear, so the clutch wont fully disengage. We checked the slave cylinder and it seems to be working fine. Since I switched to a single mass flywheel do I have re align the clutch at all?

M-Hood
03-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Well the car starts now, but even when the clutch is pushed in the wheels still spin if it's put in gear, so the clutch wont fully disengage. We checked the slave cylinder and it seems to be working fine. Since I switched to a single mass flywheel do I have re align the clutch at all?

Most likely damaged the pilot bearing which is now causing the input shaft to spin all of the time, that or you put the disk in back wards and it is now touching the flywheel bolts which are causing the disk to spin with the flywheel all of the time.

thenj3
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
i vote for backward disc. have fun doing it again

Jordan80
03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
i vote for backward disc. have fun doing it again

We have a winner! Haha took everything apart and this was this issue.

cornan
03-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Glad to hear. Blew my slave cylinder into bell housing so i'll be taking mine apart as well. My "MECHANIC" friend was a huge pain in the balls helping me with this project and he took the slave out and put it back in while i was busy with other stuff. He also wouldn't listen to a thing i said about how to do any part of this project. Didn't want to take off mounting brackets, didn't want to drop exhaust, both of which caused major issues like i told him they would. Just blowing off steam i guess but it sucked to do so much research, then spend my entire weekend under my car and its still immobile. FUUUUCK! I thinks that in my case, NO HELP would have been better than BAD HELP. [headbang]

Jordan80
03-21-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah we agreed to do both of those things with my install and it saved a headache. Being that my exhaust is 3" it makes it fun trying to get around that. Good luck, hope everything works out