PDA

View Full Version : Does S4 Tiptronic Tranny fits on A4 (2.8 30v quattro)

LePog0
02-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Hi! I recently blown my tiptronic tranny on my A4 '98 2.8q. I am looking to get a new one but I got an idea... What if I get an S4 tranny with the complete sterring column and get by the same time the shifter on the steering wheel?

Why I want this?
- I gess S4 tranny is more durable because its built for more engine power.
- I would pass from 5 to 6 gear (very economic on highway)
- I am planning to get it supercharged this summer by PES so I need a tranny that can take the gain of HP

My question is simple, is it possible? I mean theses to engine are similar size so I gess they are positioned the same way in the A4 and in the S4... So i guess the tranny can fit with no problem?? and about the electric part of the tranny... Is it hard to make the conversion? Does I really need to change the cluster because mine will not show the 6th gear?

Can I still chip the tranny with GIAC stuff? (using S4 chip)

If anyone has done this before I would like to be redirect to that person or any thread about my situation.

thanks in advance!

blacka4
02-15-2012, 04:07 AM
The transmission in the S4 and the 98 to 01 2.8 A4 is the same design, power, and torque ratings. They are exactly the same. Both 5 speed automatics. ZF 5HP-FLA

Its possible to swap in a transmission from a B5 S4 to the A4. but you wouldn't gain anything by doing so.

LePog0
02-15-2012, 01:07 PM
sorry I tought it was a 6 speed in the S4... I just looked again and its only the manual tranny that is 6 speed.

034Motorsport
02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
The transmission in the S4 and the 98 to 01 2.8 A4 is the same design, power, and torque ratings. They are exactly the same. Both 5 speed automatics. ZF 5HP-FLA

Its possible to swap in a transmission from a B5 S4 to the A4. but you wouldn't gain anything by doing so.

Yep, same transmission in the Passat 4Motion as well. One of the crappiest and most expensive transmissions made (primarily just the torque converter though).