PDA

View Full Version : My 2000 A4 1.8t just hit 170k miles, what can I do to help her reach 200,000?

Lead_
02-09-2012, 02:22 AM
Hey All,

Just looking for any advice you might be able to give me to help extend the life of the car I've loved for the past six years. I get oil changed on time, use the right type of gas, get it checked out if any funky noises arise, etc. But is there anything special I can do to take care of her? Any problems I should expect to come up soon? Anything I can get fixed preemptively? I want to drive it a year or two longer before I move on to an S4 (hopefully). Anything you can tell me will be appreciated!

grillhands
02-09-2012, 04:05 AM
Always change your oil on time and I never hit boost until my oil is at operating temperature. That's just my thing. Watch the tie rods too.

walky_talky20
02-09-2012, 05:01 AM
So it's already had it's second t-belt, right?

Grip99
02-09-2012, 05:02 AM
If you do your timing belt every 60k, your going to be do for one shorty along with the water pump and thermostat.

moyenecorniche
02-09-2012, 06:17 AM
My 04 B6 1.8T Avant is at 194,400 miles...3 TB's and a few other things over time which are just normal wear items.....
Starts every morning, runs fine, I just did all brake pads....
If you dig around there is no reason not to expect 200...250,000 from these cars
Granted at around 200,000 miles it's time to keep attention to Oil consumption, I go thru a quart of oil about every 800 or so miles, well within expectations at this mileage.
Exhaust is still clean no oil residue or that telltale blue-ish tint .

I do however have a coolant leak behind the engine..again but that's a plastic T connection, the one thing that I find annoying about these motors is Audi's use of plumbing pieces that are prone to eventual failure due to the high heat generated by
the motors as well as the close quarters and the difficulty in dissipating engine bay heat....
Other than that...You will not get me to get into something other than an Audi.....Welll maybee a Carrera 4......

ECS Tuning-Audi
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Definitely change the timing belt if it hasnt already been done. We have kits available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information. (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)
http://www.ecstuning.com/groupheaders/img/ultimatekitB5-490x368.jpg (www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Engine/Timing/?salesrep=JMarusic&utm_source=audizine&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=JMarusic&utm_campaign=postreply)

May also want to consider fixing some leaky gaskets and seals like, valve cover, cam chain tensioner, cam seal, crank seal, etc.

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions!

Jason

Lead_
02-09-2012, 06:54 PM
So it's already had it's second t-belt, right?

Not yet, I think the first one was done at 100-110k miles (or at least that's when it was last replaced). Should I just do it now and get it over with? I was planning on getting another 10k in before I did it.

Turbo Nerd
02-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Don't do the t-belt..... Run it till it dies then sell the car to me for $500, deal?