PDA

View Full Version : 034 High Flow Cat Causing CEL after a Year????

RoadRage
02-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Has anyone else had issues with this cat and CELs after a while of use?

After the install I never had any problems with CELs. Now all of the sudden I'm getting a catalyst CEL that I can't clear.

I can clear the cell and after first start up everything is fine. I can drive all day with no CEL. But as soon as I turn it off, that next start up will throw the CEL again.

Any ideas what's going on here? Anyone else deal with similar issues?

My car is way behind on emissions tests and I can't figure out what's causing this CEL.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

adamc514
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Do you have a spacer on the O2 sensor or is it threaded direct on the high flow cat?

034Motorsport
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Do you have a spacer on the O2 sensor or is it threaded direct on the high flow cat?
Yeah, make sure you have a spacer installed. The CEL could also be from a faulty secondary O2 sensor. [up]

RoadRage
02-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Yeah, make sure you have a spacer installed. The CEL could also be from a faulty secondary O2 sensor. [up]

Yeah.....it looks like the spacer is not there. I'm assuming its pretty easy to notice if its installed or not. I don't think we put it in.

But does it make sense that a CEL wouldn't be thrown for over a year?

Maybe its a faulty o2 sensor, like suggested.

034Motorsport
02-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah.....it looks like the spacer is not there. I'm assuming its pretty easy to notice if its installed or not. I don't think we put it in.

But does it make sense that a CEL wouldn't be thrown for over a year?

Maybe its a faulty o2 sensor, like suggested.
The HFC is on the ragged edge of what the stock ECU is happy with in terms of secondary O2 sensor readings. Even a minor drop in the HFC's function (which is normal on any catalytic converter with time) might trigger the CEL. THat's why we highly recommend the rear O2 sensor spacer. [:)]

RoadRage
02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't know why we didn't put that in during the install......

Looks like I'll be ordering a new spacer from you guys.

EDIT: Just ordered the spacer. Had it sent 3 day. Hopefully that's all I need and I won't have to replace the O2 sensor.

turdzi
04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
And...............did you solve the problem ?

GOODBYNAAIR
04-16-2012, 03:08 PM
this is a lil more money but I have had it on my TP for about 3 months and no CEL. the install is easy too I did it without taking the TP out of the car. I called them when I got it and they said use the medium size hole out of the 3 sizes they give you.

http://www.raimotorsport.com/Threaded-J-Pipe-with-Gas-Flow-Inserts-for-CEL-prev-p/11620vib.htm

RoadRage
04-16-2012, 03:09 PM
And...............did you solve the problem ?

Yeah, sorry. bad forum etiquette...

Installed the spacer, cleared the codes and they haven't come back. Passed the test.