PDA

View Full Version : o2 sensor cleaning?

hazard860
12-07-2011, 08:23 PM
i pulled my o2 sensors since i'm re-doing the exhaust and they look dirty (as expected), is there a way to clean them or should i just leave them be, figured i ask since i have them out now

Seerlah
12-07-2011, 08:49 PM
I would leave it alone, but you can clean it with gasoline. The tip (actual sensor) of the sensor is very sensative and can get damaged easily. So, avoid touching it. Best bet is to purchase a new one if it needs replacement. But if all you want to do is clean it (I suggest to leave it alone, though), then use gasoline.

-place sensor into container with gasoline (just enough to have it submerged) and seal (how you want to try to do this without having the conector dip into the gasoline is up to you
-swirl around to have the gasoline work on sort of like an erossion effect
-let it sit overnight
-swirl around again next day
-take out
-dry
-done

*Disclaimer: Neither I nor Audizine will be held responsible if you f*ck up your o2 sensor, make something catch on fire, get high on gas fumes, etc. In other words, just replace it or leave it alone.

bmarshall
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
They should be changed roughly every 90,000kms or 60,000miles. They will gradually stop working properly after that.

hazard860
12-08-2011, 07:09 AM
well i have no cel, and passed emissions, but wit vag-com it sometimes shows high or low voltage on both 02 sensors, and my fuel mpg kinda sucks so ....i guess i should replace them

CamrideA4
12-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Just replace the front one, the rear does't do anything but check to see if your catalytic converter is working.

hazard860
12-08-2011, 10:25 AM
alright, im installing a test pipe, and planned on having the cat coded out. So then i should leave the old one in as is?

Seerlah
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Yep