PDA

View Full Version : APR Chip Question

A4pilot
04-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Can a Chipped ECU from a manual transmission be reprogrammed to work with a Tip? Does anyone have the program to do this? I bought a chipped ECU (APR) from someone on here awhile back. His car was manual tranny and I am Tip. The car is stalling and seems to be having problems. How can I get the chip reprogrammed if it is possible......???? The person who I bought it from assured me that he reprogrammed it for my car make and model. Is this even possible or was I lied to?

beejohn
04-23-2005, 09:39 AM
depends on the year. 2001 - 2000 cannot be reprogrammed. need to have ecu reflashed.

lower years can be reprogrammed using vag-com.

STFA next time, this comes up all the time.

Ben@SpeedBarn
04-23-2005, 12:34 PM
There is a four or five digit code in the ecu. One of the numbers represents the transmission. It was changed to the correct number for a tiptronic. The ECU was out of a 98 so no problems with the model year difference because there is none. All you need is someone with vag-com software or a dealer to check the code and change it if needed.

A4pilot
04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
I went to the dealer and said that my car's codes cannot be read. They saw that I have an aftermarket radio put in there and said that whoever installed it must have tapped into the diagnostic cable to power the radio. And now the car will not communicate with the VAG. I bought the car with the radio in it so I don't know where it was installed. If I find the power cable and disconnect it, will the diagnostic system work again? Ben- I was just making sure the correct code was put for my car. After I installed the chipped ECU it started having the idling problems. I think the fuel mapping is off which is causing it to idle rough and sometimes shut off completely.

Ben@SpeedBarn
04-23-2005, 08:50 PM
I think that's called the K-wire. I've read if an aftermarket radio is installed some dealers won't even try scanning your car for codes because it can damage their machine...so that's not total bull.

I wouldn't be totally suprised the previous owner had a crappy install on his headunit. Whoever soldered his chip on to that ECU did a bad job as well. When I sent it out to get resoldered they said it was some very odd chip that they thought may be from a different country.

A4pilot
04-24-2005, 04:32 AM
the other ECU was chipped? Gez, I wish I knew that before I bought yours. Now I wonder if I gained any performance from the APR or not. Can you reprogram a chip if the aftermarket radio is interfering with the diagnostics? I guess I'll try pulling out the headunit today and dig around for the K-wire to see if it has been tapped into. Anyone have a wiring diagram I could use to help me find this wire?