PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have knowledge in fiberglassing?

derek2079
04-22-2005, 10:50 PM
wanting to fiberglass my wheel well and mount my infinity perfect sub in it. if anyone has any knowledge and wants to join in on the fun feel free. gonna be quite the project

yoogene83
04-23-2005, 09:09 AM
i've been wanting to do the same for mine. i'm actually thinking of doing this during finals week since i don't have any finals. :) if i make one and turns out good, i think i'll pick up a second sub and throw it on the other side...who knows

obviouse
05-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I'd be down for a little experimentation with fiberglass, but I'm in denver...

jent
05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
I was just thinking about this last night. But I was thinking about throwing fiberglass around the plastic of the belly pan. Try to give that little old oil pan some extra protection.

obviouse
05-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Where is a good place to get the fiberglassing materials? I asked my local home despot about it once and they just stared back at me with glazed over eyes.

RobT
05-18-2005, 11:20 AM
I haven't used if for a few years, but there used to be a really good fiberglass shop (supplies, tools, etc.) on S. Santa Fe. I'm not sure of the address, but I think it was about half way between Hamden and Littleton blvd.

Rob

RippleChip
05-18-2005, 11:53 AM
Automotive stores should carry everything you need. I did this project last year, well worth it but be ready to spend a lot of time to get it right.

kombi
05-19-2005, 06:30 PM
They aren't the cheapest but a West Marine store would have everything you'd need for glassing, if there's one around you.
The store I've been to had cloth, mat, resin.
http://www.westmarine.com/

or a body shop supply store should.

I've never built a sub enclosure but a lot of other experience with glass and resin if I can help with anything.

derek2079
05-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by kombi
They aren't the cheapest but a West Marine store would have everything you'd need for glassing, if there's one around you.
The store I've been to had cloth, mat, resin.
http://www.westmarine.com/

or a body shop supply store should.

I've never built a sub enclosure but a lot of other experience with glass and resin if I can help with anything.

im down if you want to hook up somtime and do this together lmk

PuRe
06-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Prior to making my sub enclosure, I had never worked with fiberglass before. I think it turned out pretty good...although I'd like to make a new one with a few improvements. I live in SE Denver and could meet up to give some pointers, etc. Let me know.

I picked up all of my materials at Walmart and Home Depot. The fiberglass matting can be picked up in the automobile collision repair section (typically in a locked case), the brushes, resin, hardener, etc. can all be picked up at Home Depot.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/alphaq2/Audi/p1010321.jpg

derek2079
06-02-2005, 11:31 PM
that box is so ownage, is that a 12" or a 10"?

could you make one for a 12"?

PuRe
06-03-2005, 12:15 PM
The sub is 10", but it could be made to fit up to 12". Jumping up to that size would require the enclosure to be a little bit bigger to match the manufacturer's recommended enclosure size.

I'm seriously considering making some of these and selling them here. If I were to do this, I would need to know the sub size and brand for correct fitment. I'll keep you posted!

CO AVANT
06-03-2005, 01:25 PM
yo, you still rocking the stock sub along with the Boston, or just the Boston? Stock amp or aftermarket?

Peace
Jordan

derek2079
06-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by PuRe
The sub is 10", but it could be made to fit up to 12". Jumping up to that size would require the enclosure to be a little bit bigger to match the manufacturer's recommended enclosure size.

I'm seriously considering making some of these and selling them here. If I were to do this, I would need to know the sub size and brand for correct fitment. I'll keep you posted!

im really wanting to make somthing small for where my wheel well fits for one 12"

PuRe
06-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Jordan- I still have the stock sub in place. I haven't noticed any deterioration in sound quality as I've kept the bass output low in the headunit and turned up the gain on my amp.

I'm running the boston sub with an xtant x1001. (overkill, I know...but I had much bigger plans when I started the project.)

derek2079
06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
about how much do you spend in supplies for one?