PDA

View Full Version : rear brakes

brettuzzi
04-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Any recommendations? I have to replace my stock 9.6" solid rotors and pads... I know most braking is done by the front (70-80%?) but how much difference will it make by replacing it with 9.6" vented/crossdrilled/slotted? Or should I just put crap rotors/discs on and upgrade the size later?

Keep in mind that later this month I'll be upgrading the front brakes too..

And on a side note, I replaced my fuel filter last night... ughhhhhhhh lol

euro3b
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Interested in upgrading your rear brakes to a custom Wilwood BIG Brake Kit?

It would make your rear brakes 12" although you do loose your emergency brake.

I have seen this done on two Passat's. If your interested in it, I can get you more info.

Rich [:)]

RippleChip
04-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Check out RIPEquipped for replacement brakes, they have some reasonable stuff from what I've heard.

As for your side note, how was the replacement? Was the filter pretty plugged?

brettuzzi
04-20-2005, 09:57 AM
lol.. i let it slide WAYYY too long, i think i might have even done damage to the fuel pump.. but i was planning on replacing that this year anyway/

i drove something like 35,000km (20,000miles) on it [down] lol

It might have been a bit easier to replace the fuel filter had I used a hoist... but it was meh at best with jackstands. took 2 hours with 2 helping friends.

I'd like to retain the emergency brake if possible [confused] but the 9.6 rotors look absolutely retarded on 18" wheels http://www.brettuzzi.com/smilies/lol.gif http://www.brettuzzi.com/smilies/lol.gif

I'll give RPI a call now. They have a dealer not far from me..

And what's this about 12" wilwoods? PM me or email me brett_mitchell_ (at) msn (dot) com

RippleChip
04-20-2005, 10:01 AM
How many kms were on your car and that fuel filter?

Stock brakes do look tiny on the car, especially if you have wheels with minimal spokes and you can see right in. Thank goodness for 17" celebrations, makes the brakes look alright.

brettuzzi
04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
183km on the car (110miles)
36k on the filter (21miles)

in thousands, obviously

A4Rob
04-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by euro3b
Interested in upgrading your rear brakes to a custom Wilwood BIG Brake Kit?

It would make your rear brakes 12" although you do loose your emergency brake.

I have seen this done on two Passat's. If your interested in it, I can get you more info.

I would not reccomend Wilwood brakes. You have to take them apart and re-build them every 6 months

euro3b
04-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by A4Rob
I would not reccomend Wilwood brakes. You have to take them apart and re-build them every 6 months

Thanks for the heads up.