PDA

View Full Version : FMIC Question

Quattrocket
04-20-2005, 01:14 AM
just curious, but do most FMIC kits work in conjunction with the stock SMIC or independantly???

Howard Hughes
04-20-2005, 01:20 AM
You replace your SMIC with the front mount.

Burntaudi
04-20-2005, 06:08 AM
Most get rid of the side mount. There used to be one that kept the stock sidemount...but it was pricey.

mike-2ptzero
04-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Burntaudi
Most get rid of the side mount. There used to be one that kept the stock sidemount...but it was pricey.

That one was sold by AMS and was made by ABT. Problem with this setup is that using both does increase the pressure drop and the stock SMIC will end up being a cork in the system.

EuroA4
04-20-2005, 08:30 AM
SPP has the new one on their site that fits behind the stock bumper with no cutting! $925 special introductory pricing

Looks sweet!

SPP (http://www.supremepower.com/)

mike-2ptzero
04-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by EuroA4
SPP has the new one on their site that fits behind the stock bumper with no cutting! $925 special introductory pricing

Looks sweet!

SPP (http://www.supremepower.com/)

Great price for that fmic, but then I paid less then that for my huge fmic only because I only paid 50% of the cost to make it :P

beejohn
04-20-2005, 09:14 AM
i have heard of lots of people doing the ebay ICs with custom piping and getting the same gains.

i just wish there was a way to have the piping made by someone else, and do a GB on them. so everyone gets ICs for $500 hehe.

bitterchild
04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
wouldn't that be the same as making a budget kit like johnnyboy? If you buy an ebay core you still have to weld your endtanks on and if someone makes a piping kit, there will still be fitment issues that will have to be resolved between individual cores. I guess silicone couplers could cover some of the variation.

Mike- do you happen to remember your core dimensions?

mike-2ptzero
04-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
wouldn't that be the same as making a budget kit like johnnyboy? If you buy an ebay core you still have to weld your endtanks on and if someone makes a piping kit, there will still be fitment issues that will have to be resolved between individual cores. I guess silicone couplers could cover some of the variation.

Mike- do you happen to remember your core dimensions?

Core is 20" long, 10" tall and 3" thick.

AB18
04-20-2005, 02:11 PM
How well does it fit?

bitterchild
04-20-2005, 03:10 PM
20" fits well within the opening in the stock chin, 10" is about 3" taller than the opening and 3" thick requires you to cut the crap out of the stock bumper.... or new bumper. I would be looking for a 24x8x2.5" core.

Thanks mike

mike-2ptzero
04-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by bitterchild
20" fits well within the opening in the stock chin, 10" is about 3" taller than the opening and 3" thick requires you to cut the crap out of the stock bumper.... or new bumper. I would be looking for a 24x8x1.5" core.

Thanks mike

You can fit a 2" core in there without any cutting. I run a 3" core since I have no AC core allowing for that extra space.

Hassmeister
04-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I like SPP's (Race Tech)... dollar fer dollar you can't beat it!
I have the older Traditional and I had to do a few cuts here and there to get her to fit and I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WHATSOEVER!
It even woke up the car with the stock chip and a .8 bar chip I have as a spare.
And their csutomer service and support is one of the best!!
I've been doing custom tuning/mods since I was 17 (now 46 yrs old ).
Tow huge thumbs up SPP!![up] [up]

bitterchild
04-20-2005, 05:19 PM
shit, i meant to type 2.5" thick

the racetech piece is like 950 right? core, endtanks, piping, couplers and clamps will be well under 500. For some of us paying for welding labor isn't cost effective.

EuroA4
04-20-2005, 07:20 PM
maybe we could get in touch with Eric to see about a group buy rate on the new one? It will be more than a custom for sure, but if you want to avoid the custom fab and headaches that go with that...the SPP one looks like the one to get.