PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs For Stock Car

PDRaudi
04-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure what size spark plugs I'm supposed to put in my car.
I was thinking Bosch Platinum +4 would be fine but does anyone recomend anything else. I've got a 2000 1.8tqtip, fast and any help is greatly appreciated.

-dominic-

k0mpresd
04-19-2005, 06:29 PM
ngk bkr6e's will work, but theyre copper so youll have to change them a little more often

most of the people with chipped cars run nkg coppers, not a platinum plug

white a4
04-19-2005, 07:07 PM
NGK Iridium IX is very good.

Part # BKR6EIX
Stock # 6418

rowdysaudi1
04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by white a4
NGK Iridium IX is very good.

Part # BKR6EIX
Stock # 6418

Now see, I was told Iridium was bad...
Don't remember where I heard it, some aftermarket dealership....[confused]

white a4
04-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by rowdysaudi1
Now see, I was told Iridium was bad...
Don't remember where I heard it, some aftermarket dealership....[confused]

Do you remember why? and "bad" in what way?

The only thing I can think of is many Iridium plugs come with a very large gap, but the 1.8T engine requires a very small gap.

It's not recommanded to regap a Iridium plug, but they're forced to use plugs with large gap.

SoloSpeed101
04-19-2005, 09:31 PM
just run copper... platnium and iridium with a turbo... the tips break off... not a very fun experience...
for 2.8s the bosch plat+4 is an awesome plug... that is if you are not supercharged... which if you are, you fall into the same category as 1.8Ts..

white a4
04-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by SoloSpeed101
just run copper... platnium and iridium with a turbo... the tips break off... not a very fun experience...
for 2.8s the bosch plat+4 is an awesome plug... that is if you are not supercharged... which if you are, you fall into the same category as 1.8Ts..

what causes the tips break off only with turbo cars?

Can you find some cases of this happen on a A4?

SoloSpeed101
04-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Bosch recommends that they are NOT to be used on turbo charged cars. Because of the higher temps, it's possible that a tip could burn through and break off....BAD

The platinum electrodes can burn off and fall into the cylinders due to the high temps of a turbocharged engine.

"What about platinum plugs? In a word, DON'T! Back in the early '90s it was shown that the tips on Bosch Platinum plugs could actually break down under higher boost pressures, resulting in pieces of metal bouncing around inside your combustion chamber. While I've not heard of it happening with other brands of platinum plugs, why take a chance? Steer clear of the platinums and go with Champions. " - http://www.turbominivan.com/tips.htm

http://www.intendedacceleration.com/html/tip_16.html

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1470075.phtml

do a search in AW with "platinum 1.8 spark plugs" all the respectable members said something about it...

to be honest with you, i have not seen an a4 having trouble with tips breaking off... i did hear about other brand cars, turbo civics, turbo integras...hope that is good enough info tho...

black9918tq
04-19-2005, 10:08 PM
i dont reccomend denso iridiums, as it was a huge problem for me on my car

white a4
04-19-2005, 10:12 PM
It looks like this problem happened back in early 90's with Bosch Platinum plugs on cars not design to have a factory turbo , like turbo Civic, turbo Integra, which might not have a porper cool down system.

but using NGK Iridium plugs on a 2000+ A4 1.8T with factory turbo, I have never heard anyone have problem with them.

Also I'm sure Bosch has improved their design on the Iridium plugs after 15 years.

white a4
04-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by black9918tq
i dont reccomend denso iridiums, as it was a huge problem for me on my car

Do you know what size of gap you ran with them?

black9918tq
04-19-2005, 10:28 PM
they are supposedly pre gapped, i didnt have a prob with them and my stock turbo so u could use them but uf ur chipped or have a k04 i would not use them

white a4
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by black9918tq
they are supposedly pre gapped, i didnt have a prob with them and my stock turbo so u could use them but uf ur chipped or have a k04 i would not use them

Denso comes with a 0.04" gap, and you should not use more than around 0.034".

NGK has a 0.032" gap, so it's ok even if your car is chipped or has a K04.

rowdysaudi1
04-19-2005, 10:40 PM
White A4, all these people are just giving their opinion. Seems to me you're defending these plugs to the death. If you run them, good for you. You seem to have a rebuttal for everyone and anyones opinion. Let it go man, let it go...

white a4
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by rowdysaudi1
White A4, all these people are just giving their opinion. Seems to me you're defending these plugs to the death. If you run them, good for you. You seem to have a rebuttal for everyone and anyones opinion. Let it go man, let it go...

I'm just interested on the detail and reasons behind the problems. I didn't say any of the guys above are wrong in anywhere, and I just asked questions in most of my posts.

I don't work for NGK or Denso, so no reason to defend them to the death.

If someone doesn't want to look at the reasons, then no point to post here and ask. Just go to the dealer and buy some OEM plugs, no thinking is required.

rowdysaudi1
04-19-2005, 10:55 PM
...apology accepted.

[cool]

PDRaudi
04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
My car is stock and Bosch doesn't make anything for the 1.8t.
I'm open up to all ideas . . . so far im more inclined to get denso iridium

euro3b
04-20-2005, 09:42 AM
I heard running any platinum plugs in a 1.8T is bad due to the excessive heat from the 1.8T and the platinum plugs running hotter anyway. Not a good combo.

Correct me if I am wrong. But the stock NGK's are the best.

Rich [:)]

bitterchild
04-20-2005, 09:52 AM
I have a set of 4 new BRK6E's... I don't run that heat range anymore, anyone want em?