PDA

View Full Version : AS, AT, AQ. What are these?

woolveren
10-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi,

What are these symbols indicating?

For example:

AUDI OEM : 8D0 411 105 AS
AUDI OEM : 8D0 411 105 AT
AUDI OEM : 8DO 411 105 AQ

walky_talky20
10-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Those are part number for B5 front coil springs. Audi has literally *oodles* of coil spring part numbers. This is because production of the springs is not an exact science and some come out softer than others. The best solution for this, instead of throwing out all of the ones which aren't perfect, is to group them into different stiffness levels so they can make "matched pairs" of springs. This way there is much less waste *and* the cars are still perfectly balanced as all 4 corners are appropriately matched. Another benefit is replacement of single springs. Instead of having to replace 2 or 4 springs whenever just 1 spring breaks, because the springs are so specifically sorted and matched, you can simply order just 1 matching spring and it will work quite well with the others. The different part numbers correspond to the colored paint marks on the springs themselves, as stamping part numbers on coil springs doesn't work too well in the long run.

Specifically:

AS = Yellow, Brown
AT = Yellow, Brown, Brown
AQ = White, Brown, Brown

woolveren
10-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Oh Okay.

Do you know what colors these two indicates?

AM

AP

Or can you tell me the short codes for the below color combinations?

White, Yellow, Yellow
White, Green, Green

walky_talky20
10-30-2011, 09:56 AM
AM = Violet, Brown, Brown
AP = White, Brown

I couldn't find the color combos you listed, so you may want to call your dealer on those.In the situation where the color marks are unreadable, they can also match the springs using the production codes from the car. For example: PR-1BA/OJH would use "AS" front springs. Matching the color codes really only matters if you are replacing springs individually. If you are replacing them all, it won't matter at all.

woolveren
10-30-2011, 10:56 AM
Oh okay. These spring color codes are just crazyy. I have searched a lot recently and came up with this chart below, but there is no short codes or any details.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308471

@ Walky_talky 20: Can I install two different rate springs for front and rear? Like, front two springs AS and rear two springs AQ ?

walky_talky20
10-30-2011, 11:35 AM
The part numbers you gave were for *front* coil springs. Those numbers are not applicable for the rear. If you want genuine OEM replacement springs, call your dealer with your VIN and those color markings and they will get some pricing for you.

I really don't know where you are going with this, so it is really difficult to make any suggestions about what you should or shouldn't do. Perhaps you can elaborate?

That thread you linked to is for jetta springs and is very nifty. However, I have never seen such a chart for the A4/A6, and I'm really not even sure how the Jetta guys decoded the ETKA info into actual spring rate information.

woolveren
10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Okay, I understood that AS, AT, AP, AM and AQ are the options for the FRONT springs.

After looking again, I found that the rear ones have codes like below:

8D5 511 115 S
8D5 511 115 T
8D5 511 115 AA

Now my question is , Can I install two sets from different companies for the Front and Rear?

I have found two Lesjofors Springs for the front and two Monroe springs for the rear. Both are OE replacement springs for my model.