PDA

View Full Version : Thrush GlassPack

TConklin821
10-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Has anyone ever used one of those Thrush Glasspack mufflers on a 1.8T? They're pretty dirt cheap so I wasn't sure if it had been done or not.

tomhub389
11-13-2011, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't recommend it unless you were going to use it as a mid-exhaust resonator since they're straight-thru and put a real muffler on the back. I had a thrush glasspack on my 97 dakota with straight pipes and a side exit and it was loud as hell. It really won't sound good at all on our motors, it's just not made for a 4 cylinder. If you're looking for high-flow and cheap just go with straight 2.5"-2.75" pipe all the way back then put a simple flowmaster or summit racing muffler on the end. Still might sound a little ricey though

geeky
11-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Straight through exhausts are fine on a turbo. the turbo actually quiets down the exhaust a lot. this was my custom 2.5" non-resonated straight through exhaust on the previous A4 with the pc16. I had no issues with drone etc on the freeway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQEBQwMgSM

tomhub389
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
It's not so much the drone as it is the raspy tone you get from a glass pack. I'm all for loud trucks and screaming V12's but I just think a cleaner tone sounds a lot better on these motors. You can have a shop do a simple exhaust and just shop around for a deal on a decent borla muffler. Just need to do the research on what models will fit depending on what you want

Corrado_Guy
11-13-2011, 07:30 PM
A turbo will break up the sound frequency but this only really applies at idle or low revs, at WOT it is still very loud. I use one of these on my Corrado in the middle and use a stock muffler at the rear and it is still really loud. I would use one of those and a good performance muffler and you will get a really nice sound and it won't attract too much attention. If you need a really low restriction exhaust only part of the time put a dump valve in the exhaust for when it is at the track and use the regular exhaust the rest of the time. Those mufflers are really more of a 'see I have a muffler' when it really does little to nothing.

TConklin821
11-13-2011, 09:26 PM
As of now, anything is better than nothing, lol. I installed my test pipe and rest of the down pipe yesterday, and there is nothing else behind yet. So it's just turbo, pipe, exit. It's stupid loud, I had cops eye'n me today