PDA

View Full Version : Error code 17544. Suggestion Please

woolveren
10-28-2011, 04:38 PM
BUMP..Seems like my car(98 Audi A4 1.8t) is going to give me nightmares. One day ago, ABS and Brake Light started flashing.

And today, when I was going for lunch, CEL came ON. Code 17544.

I searched a lot, but didnt find an exact solution. I know that it indicates Long Term fuel Trim/ Main bank Lean, but what does it exactly mean?

PS: I did a fuel injection cleaning at Mieneke( 2500 miles ago) and from then the car seems to have something somewhere missing at idle. But the missing is very very small and only if you listen and feel carefully, you can get that. I didn't give much attention to it. Recently, in the morning or cold start car seems to take longer to get started up. I have to hold the key for more duration than usual. Also, at sometimes car seems like losing power. I press the accelerator pedal hard and it wont really move as normal. Does this indicates a bad fuel injector or a bad fuel pump? Did mienekie people messed up something while cleaning?

Seerlah
10-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Either boost/vacuum leak or your MAF needs cleaning/replacement. Don't fret, most of have been through much with our vehicles. Your issues are minor.

What you should do is a boost leak test. If you have a leak, fix it. If you don't, then move onto your MAF sensor and clean it with CRC MAF cleaner. If the CEL comes back after that, maybe log your MAF with Vag Com to see how many g/s of air it reads. If things check out, move onto next variable. Or, maybe the code is just a fluke. You will end up getting a lot of those over time.

woolveren
10-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I have never done a Boost Leak test. Where can I get this done? Can I do it myself or do I need to go to a mechanic? (Sorry for being stupid..LOL)

I am getting a VAG COM cable today and probably will register for $99 to get the license (as you said in the message).

Seerlah
10-28-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/boostleak.html

That's the technique I used, but this way requires an air compressor. You can get a cheap one on ebay, if you decide to go that route. Below is another technique.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/104080-ALL-1.8T-Boost-leak-tester