PDA

View Full Version : Oil light flashing

begeta50
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi, I have a 1997 A4 2.8 engine, and the oil light is flashing. The light came one about three weeks ago, so I took the car to the mechanic, and they replaced the oil and filter. But the light continue, I took it back this time they replaced the low level oil sensor. The light continues, so I took it back, and I ask them to remove the oil pan, and to check the pick tube. They did as I told them, and they told the tube was fine, so they check the oil pressure with some device, and they said the oil pressures is okay. The light continues, and I don't know how to turn it off. I any body has any idea how to. Please help me out.
thanks

walky_talky20
10-27-2011, 01:00 PM
You're going to have to be more specific. What light is it?

There are 3 possible warning lights on your Audi (at least the 99.5 and newer cars with the level sensor). They are presented as such:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/walky_talky20/Audi-Oil-Warnings.png

Let us go over each in detail, shall we?

Warning "A": YELLOW warning with oil can and "Min" text accompanied by a single BEEP. This means oil level has reached the minimum threshold and you should add some. It is serious (dude, add some oil), but not a life or death thing. Relax.

Warning "B": YELLOW warning with oil can and "SENSOR" text accompanied by a single BEEP. This means the output of the oil level sensor (in the oil pan) is goofy. You should check the oil level just to be sure, but if the level is fine it is either a bad sensor or damaged wiring. Again, not life or death. Relax.

Warning "C": OK PANIC. Just kidding, but seriously now. This is a RED warning with an oil can and is usually accompanied by 3 BEEPS. This means the engine oil pressure is not closing the oil pressure switch when it ought to be (or conversely, is closing the switch when it shouldn't - which is rare). There are 2 overwhelmingly common causes. First, a clogged oil pickup screen due to inadequate maintenance (oil changes) and/or incorrect oil used over the long term. Second, just a bad oil pressure switch (aka pressure sensor, aka pressure sender). DO NOT ASSUME a sensor issue.

begeta50
10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Is a red light flashing, and when it stars it beeps twice. The low level oil sensor was replaced thinking that was bad.

SS92
10-27-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd buy a gauge and check the pressures myself... Especially if its the engine derp light. Sludge ain't got nothin on me

begeta50
10-27-2011, 03:11 PM
All of that is done already the pressure is 50 when cold and 30 when is warm.

walky_talky20
10-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Firstly, you didn't answer the question. Acceptable answers were A, B, or C.

Oil level warnings are yellow. Oil pressure warnings are red. This is all in the owners manual. It seems like the symptoms were grossly misinterpreted here. I am highly disappointed in your shop for overlooking this.

So if you have an oil pressure warning, and the oil pressure checked out okay....you see where I am going with this?....Why is the pressure switch not replaced yet?

EDIT: I apologize if this came across harshly. That is not my intention. I wish you all the best with your Audi. [;)]