PDA

View Full Version : Can I install Eibach Pro-kit in a Non- Sport Suspension car?

woolveren
10-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi all,

I am getting new struts for my 98 Audi A4 1.8t, without sports suspension.

The new struts are KYB GR2- EXCEL ones. I am also planning to get some coil springs since the mileage is really high (210K). And I saw Eibach Pro-kit lowering springs for a good deal.

So my concern is, Does this lowering create a problem for the standard suspension cars? Or do I need to get adjustable struts for this coil spring?

Please reply..

woolveren
10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
I am also looking for OEM springs and I found these Monroe Springs at Rockauto.com

MONROE Part # SP0042
Saloon; From 04.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Front
Saloon; From 12.1997; To 11.2000; FWD; Front
Saloon; From 01.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Front
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
$27.79

MONROE Part # SP0675
Saloon; From 01.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Rear; Heavy Duty
Saloon; From 04.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Rear; Heavy Duty
Saloon; From 12.1997; To 11.2000; FWD; Rear; Heavy Duty
$28.99

MONROE Part # SP0476
Saloon; From 01.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Rear
Saloon; From 04.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Rear
Saloon; From 12.1997; To 11.2000; FWD; Rear
$42.79

MONROE Part # SP0068
Saloon; From 04.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Front; Heavy Duty
Saloon; From 01.1995; To 11.2000; FWD; Front; Heavy Duty
Saloon; From 12.1997; To 11.2000; FWD; Front; Heavy Duty
$43.79

So which one should I get ? Heavy duty or Normal ones?

woolveren
10-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Waiting for somebody's reply..;)

jturnbull
10-26-2011, 05:44 AM
I would just do it right and go with a set of bilstiens and then buy the springs later if its not in your budget. With the lower springs on the stock shocks they will fail a lot sooner and your gonna be mad you didn't just do it right the first time.

walky_talky20
10-26-2011, 05:58 AM
It is generally suggested to use a "sport" type shock with lowering springs. A stock "touring" type shock just doesn't reliably put up with the extra spring rate. Ride quality will suffer along with longevity. I tried to go the cheap way out and get some lightly used OEM sport shocks with my H&R lowering springs. They haven't "blown" or anything, but the ride is not ideal. It is very good at amplifying bumps instead of absorbing them. The shocks just aren't adequate to control the higher spring rate, IMHO. I'd recommend Koni's or Bilsteins with lowering springs, or just a full coilover kit.

Secondly, I have found that aftermarket "OEM" replacement springs (McQuay Norris, other parts-store brands) seem to often have ride height "issues" on german cars. I've seen this more than once at our shop. Jetta comes in with broken rear springs so we get the cheap "OE replacement" (ie: aftermarket but not any kind of "sport" upgrade, just a plain likely-chinese replacement) pair of springs for the rear. Put those on and the rear now sits 1.5 inches higher. Even just looking at the springs it was obvious that there would be a ride height issue - they were visibly taller. Sent them back to get another pair, same problem. From time to time I see Jetta's and the rear end is riding pretty high. It's almost obvious that the rear springs have been replaced with aftermarket ones. I can't be sure the same problem is there for the B5 platform, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up well. I would suggest you reuse your original springs unless they are damaged or in very poor condition.

woolveren
10-26-2011, 06:08 AM
Okay, I understood. But considering this high mileage(212k), I think its a good idea to replace springs too. That's what mechanic said even though he didnt check the condition of the spring directly.

If I buy the Monroe springs listed above( the heavy duty ones), do you think still it gonna give some ride height issues?
(Monroe are German made..right?)

Hugh@EuropaParts
10-26-2011, 06:25 AM
]DO IT RIGHT AND DO IT ONCE!
STaSIS Street Sport Coilover Kit (http://www.europaparts.com/stasis-street-sport-coilover-kit-b5.html) (B5)
http://media.europaparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/170x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/stasis-a4-b6-b7-street-sport-coilover-kit_3.jpg (http://www.europaparts.com/stasis-street-sport-coilover-kit-b5.html)

STaSIS Street Sport suspension retains much of the comfort and compliance of the OEM suspension, while greatly improving the handling and visual appearance of the car. Here are some of the benefits:

Relatively inexpensive kit
Comfortable and compliant
Perfect OEM replacement kit
KONI Sport valving
Cadmium plated threaded, or painted steel dampers for durability
Height Adjustable, Rebound Adjustable
Fixed Spring Rates
UHMWPE Bushings added for reduced noise
Laser-Cut Spanner Wrench Included

ianwpb
10-26-2011, 06:42 AM
I can't speak for any of those brands you listed in your first post. However, I can speak for the ride quality of my Bilstein Sport Shocks & H&R Sport Springs. The kit cost me around $650-700 from AWE-tuning.com. It's a perfect combo for daily driving and a good bit of performance. It lowered my car about 2" in the front and 1.5" in the rear with no ride issues and no rubbing with my 225/45/17's. My car had about 128,000 Miles on it when I replaced the Shocks/Springs and the difference it made was astronomical. Six months later I replaced all my control arms and the car feels brand new. All together a cost of about 950. I did my own work of course.. You could probably double the cost if you have someone do it for you. There are plenty of great DIY's around to assist you. If you have any other questions about installation send me a PM.