PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a new suspension setup...

rowdysaudi1
04-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Alright, I have the sport stock suspension for the 01 A4 which can be described as decent at best. I want to lower my car (not dramatically) and have better handling for the least amout of money while not giving up any integrity or reliability. Anyone have any good deals out there? Also, whats the main difference between coilovers and seperate springs and shocks?

Suhail
04-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Here check this thread out http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28941&highlight=suspension+thread

The main difference between coilovers and seperate springs and shocks are the adjustability.

Hope that helps.

rowdysaudi1
04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
yeah, thanks. Too many options, you know?

Suhail
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
lol yea there are, but I would think something for the needs you listed that a H&R Sport Spring w/Bilstein Sport Shocks would be a good setup for you. My preference leans towards the race springs but since you don't want a dramatic lowering I think sport springs should work fine.

4ingDrive
04-18-2005, 11:37 AM
This is your friend.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/search.php?s=

This topic has been beaten to death.

euro3b
04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Personally I would go with coilovers. Why? I am speaking from experience. I had the Neuspeed sport springs on my Passat. I was NEVER happy with the drop height with them. Quality sure was nice, but drop height wasn’t.

Now just because you get coilovers you don't have to slam the car. The great thing about coilovers is that you can set the drop height to the exact drop you want. Whether that drop be 1 5/8" to 2 3/8" <those were just examples. Now with coilovers you tend to get a stiffer ride but not a harsh ride oppose to shocks/springs. Which in turn will increase your braking distance as I found out.

Sure coilovers are expensive but you may over time be glad you spent the money to get them, what happens if you lower your car with springs and a few month's/years down the road you want to go lower? You will have to buy new lowering springs. But with coilovers you would just have to lower those without buying new springs.

Now this is my experience with KW V1 coilovers. It’s all up to you and your budget. So take my post for what its worth.

Rich [:)]

98a4
04-18-2005, 01:33 PM
I love my KW's.... Couldn't be happier... Coilovers are worth the extra...

nramsey
04-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Definitely get coilovers if you're picky about your ride height like euro3b said. I have Stasis Streets and like em alot. Sometimes on BIG bumps I wish it was a little stiffer cause it rebounds a bit more than I'd prefer, but I imagine setting the dampers stiffer would take care of that. Unfortunately most B5 coilovers won't allow you to change the shocks without removing them from the car or modifying the shock mounts (only in the rear is this possible for most I believe). Some shocks will allow you to adjust them on the car though...Bilstein PSS9 will I think.

Kruat
04-18-2005, 08:16 PM
I just ordered my PSS9's, can't wait for them to show up.

BLUEisFASTER
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
eibach pro system kit... smooth ride, nice drop, great around the corners!!