PDA

View Full Version : A8 Brake upgrade

MarcMiller
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm looking to piece together a decent brake upgrade kit. Looking to find the best deals. I want front a8 rotors slotted, Rear rotors can be stock. Wanted hawk HPS pads too.
If anyone knows any good deals let me know. I searched and found a lot of old deals that are no longer available. Not sure if anyone knows and current deals going on specific sites.

Also, will these fit with my stock 16in wheels?

Let me know!

witwer4444
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Buy my setup!!!

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=61594&title=b5-s4-2fc5-a6-hp2-front-brake-calipers-2c-pads-2c-rotors-2c-lines&cat=27

MarcMiller
10-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Buy my setup!!!

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=61594&title=b5-s4-2fc5-a6-hp2-front-brake-calipers-2c-pads-2c-rotors-2c-lines&cat=27

Sorry not exactly what im looking for..im trying to get my kit around that price though.

Seerlah
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
I am pretty sure the B5 S4 front upgrade can only be directly swapped with the 01 A4. Otherwise, the upright/spindle will need be changed, along with axles. If I am incorrect, please correct.

But to the OP, my brake setup is the ECS A8/TT combo (bought used for $120 with Hawk HPS pads and 5k of use), SS lines (StopTech and Goodridge lines), Hawk HPS pads f&r, ATE rear plain rotors, and Motul 5.1 brake fluid. All in all, I would say this is a very nice brake step up from stock, for the price. For pads, ebay will probably be your best bet unless a vendor on here wants to make a deal with you. But I find MJM to usually have the cheapest brake components (most times anyways). But for rotors, I would start off with these ones on ECS (link below), then try to source out the TT carriers. Then find the cheapest place to find pads (I would personally lok into ebay and MJM autohaus first). Rear rotors can be sourced from just about anywhere, but beware if you want to go the ebay route. Many do and have no issues, but you don't want to be that guy to have your rotor crack on you while you are going like 55+mph.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Rotor/ES2130386/ (plain A8 rotors for $95 shipped)
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-Quattro-1.8T/Search/Rotor/ES7975/ (slotted/cross drilled for $100 shipped)

melomandn
10-24-2011, 07:20 PM
For what its worth I'm the kind of guy to try and find a deal on everything and get anything I can used but I just bought the kit from ecs and am very happy with it. It's a little more than if you were to buy the rotors at ecs and the carriers at mjm but getting it all together at the same time and only paying one shipping price was enough for me. Also getting shiny new parts always feels good [:D]

Overall though if you do go the a8/tt route I guarantee you you wont be disappointed. Clearly its not porsche or multipiston setup but for the price its definitely worth it.

walky_talky20
10-24-2011, 08:00 PM
I would not recommend those Schwaben rotors. At that price the drilling is done afterwards (instead of cast into the part), and will cause cracking down the road. I'd highly suggest you get plain or just slotted rotors, not drilled, and especially not cheap drilled rotors.

As far as deals, seeing as you're in philly, you may want to give Maroney's Foreign Car a call. They should give you a price of $100 shipped for 2 front TT calipers with carriers. Mine came with some pretty much brand new pads as well. Not sure if you can find a better deal than that, but I thought it was pretty good.

@Seerlah: The 01 A4 can't bolt up S4 calipers either. Although we are all set for axles (01 1.8T has the larger V6 outer CV's), so you just need the steel S4 upgrights and the rotors. An earlier 1.8T would also need different axles as well (V6 axles). If you went with the aluminum S4 uprights you would then need different lower control arms as well no matter what year B5 A4 you had.

Dr.Coxx
10-24-2011, 10:10 PM
I would not recommend those Schwaben rotors. At that price the drilling is done afterwards (instead of cast into the part), and will cause cracking down the road. I'd highly suggest you get plain or just slotted rotors, not drilled, and especially not cheap drilled rotors.

As far as deals, seeing as you're in philly, you may want to give Maroney's Foreign Car a call. They should give you a price of $100 shipped for 2 front TT calipers with carriers. Mine came with some pretty much brand new pads as well. Not sure if you can find a better deal than that, but I thought it was pretty good.

@Seerlah: The 01 A4 can't bolt up S4 calipers either. Although we are all set for axles (01 1.8T has the larger V6 outer CV's), so you just need the steel S4 upgrights and the rotors. An earlier 1.8T would also need different axles as well (V6 axles). If you went with the aluminum S4 uprights you would then need different lower control arms as well no matter what year B5 A4 you had.

I was also interested in doing this as well. I was going to get the ecs front kit as well but I figuered it would be cheaper to buy a new set of front (A8/TT) and rear(A4) rotors from adam, and but some carriers on there own. This didn't not seem that it was going to work. Every where I looked the carrieres where $100 plus a piece. But after reading this I hope I too can get a deal like that. Would they be willing to sell to me in Florida? Do they have a site? And are the TT calipers any different then our A4s? Thanks

Also, sorry if I jacked your thread op.

Turbo Nerd
10-25-2011, 12:47 AM
http://www.speedlifemotorsport.com/apbobigbrkit.html

walky_talky20
10-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Indeed. Buying the carriers new, even aftermarket, is a ridiculous price. This is why I went used.

Here's the website from the yard I deal with:
http://www.maroneysforeigncar.com/

I'm sure they'd ship anywhere, at least in the 48 states without a problem, although the shipping charges could get expensive the further you go. The calipers off a 2000 TT 1.8T are listed for $40 a piece and they charged me 20 bucks to ship. The calipers themselves will not work on an A4 directly. They will bolt up, but the line connection is different (banjo vs flare) and the piston size is slightly smaller as well. They will not sell the carriers separately, although you may be able to get them to send the carriers only to save on shipping as long as you pay for the entire thing.

The A8 upgrade brakes will fit with the 1.8T Sport-package 16" "Swing" wheels with no room to spare at all. I'm not sure if they would work with the V6 5-spoke 16's or not. I'd guess probably. Obviously any and all 15" wheels are out.

EDIT: Looks like the V6 16's fit:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/woojo/P3201102.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/woojo/P3201105.jpg

And with the swings:
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/djwimbo/The%20Silver%20Saloon/DSCF0599.jpg

ECS Tuning-Audi
10-25-2011, 07:55 AM
TT carries and A8 rotors is what I run on my car right now. I have the slotted rotors and couldn't be happier with the fitment and stopping power. A nice set of pads really makes this OEM big brake upgrade worth it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

Seerlah
10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Uh oh, I never even confimed if my 16" steelies will fit (winter setup). Hopefully, they do.

AdamGT
10-25-2011, 01:49 PM
@MarcMiller - I have a used set of Zimmermann A8 rotors I want to get rid of for cheap. They're taking up space in my garage (in Rochester, NY so shipping to Philly shouldn't be too bad). Or, I'll be in the area mid December if you're in no hurry.

rubberband
10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Uh oh, I never even confimed if my 16" steelies will fit (winter setup). Hopefully, they do.

also the fact that the oem spare (donut) wont either.....doh!
I may as well ditch the extra weight since I am screwed if I get a flat.
I love my A8 setup. I just wish I could find the S4 rear calipers so I could do the rears.

Shhmaudi
10-25-2011, 05:59 PM
What are the porche brakes that are compatible with the pre facelift (98) a4?

MarcMiller
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Did you look at that price befoe you posted it? [confused]

TT carries and A8 rotors is what I run on my car right now. I have the slotted rotors and couldn't be happier with the fitment and stopping power. A nice set of pads really makes this OEM big brake upgrade worth it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason
What did you pay? what kind of deal can you get me on slotted a8 front rotors and regular b5 slotted rear rotors?

@MarcMiller - I have a used set of Zimmermann A8 rotors I want to get rid of for cheap. They're taking up space in my garage (in Rochester, NY so shipping to Philly shouldn't be too bad). Or, I'll be in the area mid December if you're in no hurry.

Are they slotted? new?

I appreciate the help everyone. I'm not looking to get new calipers..just the TT carriers to use my current calipers. I'm hoping to find a set used on here or vortex.
I would really rather just have slotted front A8 front rotors and normal slotted rear rotors. If i have to buy those separately and then pads from somewhere else thats fine..if i have to piece it together to save money I'll do just that.

IDK how i feel about buying pads from eBay..i feel like i'd get them and they'll be fake or something dumb.

If anyone else wants to keep providing links feel free[up]
Helping me go in the right direction.

As far as when im trying to get these...i have some time. Im pretty much dragging out the brakes i have right now until they are HORRIBLE. Need to just keep saving my money up...being broke sucks.

EDIT: i have these stock wheels..http://tapatalk.com/mu/47affb0e-64d9-69da.jpg

My summer wheels are actual a8 flat fives so they should fit lol

audikid66
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
the tt carriers bolt up the stock calipers right so you dont need to use TT calipers? I have a pair of black drilled and slotted rotors in my garage i beleive they are a8 rotors what the size? 12.3"?

NickBroderick
10-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't go with slotted Marc, unless you just want the look. In that case, don't listen to me. For daily driving and having a powerless car, the blank rotors are the way to go. With slotted you'll just go through pads quicker and have to clean your wheels more often.

MarcMiller
10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't go with slotted Marc, unless you just want the look. In that case, don't listen to me. For daily driving and having a powerless car, the blank rotors are the way to go. With slotted you'll just go through pads quicker and have to clean your wheels more often.

I was just getting them for looks but thats a good point to consider.

MarcMiller
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
the tt carriers bolt up the stock calipers right so you dont need to use TT calipers? I have a pair of black drilled and slotted rotors in my garage i beleive they are a8 rotors what the size? 12.3"?

Correct. The TT carriers will work with my stock calipers to fit on an A8 rotor. And a8 rotors are 12.3 yupp.

Crispy222
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
I did this upgrade with the 2-piece ECS slotted rotors and loved it vs stock. I'm now running Porsche 993 Turbo Calipers (Big Reds) and rotors (custom hats). So I have TT calipers I pulled from a salvage car yet. $120 shipped for anyone interested. I'd sell the OEM calipers with SS lines if someone wanted to paint/powder them as a full change over. They were painted black (calipers & carriers) two years ago, which has worn off. PM me.

OLD
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Crispy222/IMG_0571.jpg

NEW
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Crispy222/IMG_0572.jpg

Yeah, 16" steelies will fit.

also the fact that the oem spare (donut) wont either.....doh!
I may as well ditch the extra weight since I am screwed if I get a flat.
I love my A8 setup. I just wish I could find the S4 rear calipers so I could do the rears.
S4 rear rotors are also thicker (22mm IIRC). I'm currently running the 312mmx25mm 2-piece rotors as rears with S4 calipers, carriers, lines, custom hardlines, and custom brackets to handle the different offset of the rotors. It looks like I'll have to run 18inch wheels for winter as well. Looking at some mkv r32 wheels right now.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Crispy222/IMG_20110629_004135-1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Crispy222/IMG_20110629_114034.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/Crispy222/IMG_20110629_114611.jpg

What are the porche brakes that are compatible with the pre facelift (98) a4?

80% of kits or people putting on Porsche calipers are using Boxter fronts. Boxter S calipers have different mounts or offset, I can't remember. I've seen a few use them. Pure MotorSports sells brackets, lines, and kits for the Boxter calipers on A8 rotors.

MarcMiller
10-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I pieced together a good deal for 387$ and all i need are the TT carriers.

I can only find them new. Anyone have any suggestions on finding a deal on them?

walky_talky20
10-28-2011, 06:15 AM
I pieced together a goid deal for 387$ and all i need are the TT carriers.

I can only find them new. Anyone have any suggestions on finding a deal on them?

Posts #6 and #9. TT Calipers w/Carriers (and probably pads) for $100 shipped. They won't sell the carriers separately, but it's still a much better deal than new.

Crispy222
10-28-2011, 07:27 AM
$240 shipped, TT carriers, OEM calipers, autotech SS lines, axis pads, rough up or blast and paint the whole set before install.

MarcMiller
10-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Posts #6 and #9. TT Calipers w/Carriers (and probably pads) for $100 shipped. They won't sell the carriers separately, but it's still a much better deal than new.

I emailed them about it. Waiting on on their reply.

$240 shipped, TT carriers, OEM calipers, autotech SS lines, axis pads, rough up or blast and paint the whole set before install.

You have this for sale?

Crispy222
10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes, for sale. It's not listed anywhere. I can pull them out and take some photos if you'd like. PM me.

melomandn
10-28-2011, 10:12 AM

How much you want for them? I'm in rochester to.

walky_talky20
10-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I emailed them about it. Waiting on on their reply.

You should call them. Ask for Roger.

MarcMiller
10-28-2011, 01:33 PM
You should call them. Ask for Roger.

Thank you. I just got a reply of the same quote you gave me. 100$ shipped.

So altogether im paying a little more then 500$:

Slotted A8 front rotors-72.40$ each
Slotted rear b5 rotors- 41.15$ each
Hawk HPS pads front & rear
Front-99.45$
Rear-60.88$
TT carriers-100$

Im getting all these from GermanAutoParts.com

Thanks everyone for the help!

Crispy222
10-29-2011, 02:16 PM
You have this for sale?

I sold all my oem brakes this evening to another member. I see you purchased all your parts. Its a nice day project.

Avi'sA6
10-29-2011, 02:25 PM
for what your paying now for the A8 set up... a little bit more and you can have this awesome stopping power of a Porsche 911!!

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=61388&title=porsche-brake-kits&cat=49

Crispy222
10-29-2011, 02:43 PM
for what your paying now for the A8 set up... a little bit more and you can have this awesome stopping power of a Porsche 911!!

http://www.audizine.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=61388&title=porsche-brake-kits&cat=49

The A8 rotor setup can be run under 16" wheels and the Porsche would require 17" wheels. Depends on if you want a little better daily or track stopping power.

walky_talky20
10-29-2011, 02:52 PM
17's make for lousy snow traction capability, IMO. I like that I can stay with 16's for winter. It really makes a difference.

Seerlah
10-29-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah, 16" steelies will fit.

Thanks for that one[cool]. First snow today (I'm just taking it as an ealy teaser for what to expect this year), and was getting worried. Still rocking my summers.

coolgraymemo
10-29-2011, 03:40 PM
If you're going with bigger than the OEM BBK, I would go with this:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/314943-Touareg-Brake-Calipers-(same-as-Cayenne)

they can be had for around $250-400 (found two pair for $500 local). However, you'll need S4 uppers, JHM hardware, and 2.8 axles (i think).

MarcMiller
10-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Im not getting new calipers.
Im not TRYING to spend money im trying not too.

Im just waiting on the carriers before i go about buying everything else.

Seerlah
10-30-2011, 12:51 PM
If you are spending that much on an A8 setup, I would seriously hold off. If I didn't get a deal on mine ($120 picked up ECS A8/TT kit with slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads with ~5k use before he crashed his car), I would have gone a different route. GotBoost84 may still have his 034 AP BBK for sale for $800. Now that seems worth the money spent. Same one sold in the link below for $1500. I think he wanted to get rid of it because he was tired of having to take them off in the winter to run a smaller size winter wheel setup (but he runs either a 16 or 15 winter wheel. run 17s and you should be fine).

http://www.034motorsport.com/chassis-components-brakes-034-motorsport-big-brake-kits-big-brake-kit-a4-18t-034-ap-racing-p-761.html

walky_talky20
10-30-2011, 01:58 PM
A8 brakes just saved my car last night. It was *super* foggy and 3 deer jumped out in front of me while I was doing 45mph. Slammed on the brakes hard enough to kick in the ABS. Missed the nearest dear by no more than 12 inches. Scary. My completely lousy and worn out stock brakes would have never stopped me in time.

MarcMiller
10-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I rock 16s for my winter wheels and i dont really plan on changing them anytime soon.

Im sticking with the A8 upgrade.

MarcMiller
10-30-2011, 03:26 PM
A8 brakes just saved my car last night. It was *super* foggy and 3 deer jumped out in front of me while I was doing 45mph. Slammed on the brakes hard enough to kick in the ABS. Missed the nearest dear by no more than 12 inches. Scary. My completely lousy and worn out stock brakes would have never stopped me in time.

Thats crazy man. I dont even have ABS which blows.

I appreciate all the help with finding good deals and the TT carriers..your the man.

Whats your name?

Dr.Coxx
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Thats crazy man. I dont even have ABS which blows.

I appreciate all the help with finding good deals and the TT carriers..your the man.

Whats your name?

Is your abs out? If so there is a member on here that can repair your module. It was $50 I believe. I did it almost 2 years ago and it works perfectly.

MarcMiller
10-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Is your abs out? If so there is a member on here that can repair your module. It was $50 I believe. I did it almost 2 years ago and it works perfectly.

Yeah my abs module is shot..i dont have an ABS light but my e-brake light doesnt work either.
I have those annoying 3 beeps when i first turn my car on too.

Can i still drive my car with the module out?

walky_talky20
10-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes, you can drive without it. Probably good idea to cover it with a ziplock back or something while the module is removed. PM user k0mpresd on here. Super nice guy.

I just drove past the spot where I had that close call the other night. I laid down some really nice black tread marks on the pavement. Not skids, you can clearly see the tread pattern from the front tires. The upgraded brakes and my friends, The Acronyms (ABS, EBD, ESP, etc) really helped me out there.

MarcMiller
11-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Just got the carriers. They actually sent me the caliper and the carrier. Now could i use these calipers instead of the ones from my car? These look bigger and i think they would be better.

They have pads on them too so if i can use them it'll save me money from buying front pads right now.

Crispy222
11-03-2011, 09:37 AM
TT calipers have smaller pistons.

MarcMiller
11-03-2011, 10:36 AM
TT calipers have smaller pistons.

I figured since these rotors came off the rotor in putting on, why cant i just use those calipers also.

walky_talky20
11-03-2011, 01:06 PM
There are 2 reasons you can't directly use the TT calipers on your A4. I explained both in post #9 of this very thread.

The pads are the same and you can use those without issue. That's what I did.

MarcMiller
11-03-2011, 01:44 PM
There are 2 reasons you can't directly use the TT calipers on your A4. I explained both in post #9 of this very thread.

The pads are the same and you can use those without issue. That's what I did.

Okay thanks.

BlackLock_A4
11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
This thread is so informative! Posting so I can find my way back to it in the future.

MarcMiller
11-03-2011, 04:46 PM
This thread is so informative! Posting so I can find my way back to it in the future.

I agree. Should be stickied or something

coolgraymemo
11-03-2011, 07:49 PM
[random question]

If I was to do this "upgrade" would I need to bleed my brakes too?

walky_talky20
11-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Nope. You don't need to. You aren't required to change the calipers or lines. You are merely changing the pads, rotors, and carriers. Many people decide to install braided steel lines at the same time, in which case you would need to bleed that crap.

coolgraymemo
11-03-2011, 08:33 PM
So I might be doing this upgrade soon.

I found a set of caliper carriers + schwaben slotted rotors for $100.

MarcMiller
11-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Okay so i bought the front and rear rotors, along with the TT carriers.

All i need now is front and rear Hawk HPS pads.
Im trying to spend the lowest amount i can.

GOODBYNAAIR
01-01-2012, 04:32 PM

have an 01 a4Q do u need any thing other mods with this kit or does hook right up on the a4?? any one have it and how do u like it ?

jaystacks
01-01-2012, 07:50 PM
FYI I am selling the TT caliper carries pretty cheap right now.. pm me for details or check out my for sale thread (mods let me know if this can't be done/against rules).

ZimbutheMonkey
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm looking to piece together a decent brake upgrade kit. Looking to find the best deals. I want front a8 rotors slotted, Rear rotors can be stock. Wanted hawk HPS pads too.
If anyone knows any good deals let me know. I searched and found a lot of old deals that are no longer available. Not sure if anyone knows and current deals going on specific sites.

Also, will these fit with my stock 16in wheels?

Let me know!

I'm too damn lazy to read through the thread so here's my advice FWIW. Nothing wrong w solid rotors. The slotting, cross drilling is pretty much exclusively for cosmetics unless you're tracking it, in which case you'll want something bigger for serious track work. As for pads, I use PBR ultimate ceramics. I absolutely love them, they do make a lot of dust, but they have excellent, excellent cold stopping ability. They will eventually start to fade if I absolutely abuse them. But I've made a lot of hard stops from 160-170 Km/hr down to 80 km/hr during 3rd gear logging pulls (enough heat to blue the rotors).

Only issue w the PBR pads is that they're Australian so they may be hard to find local, but I'm pretty sure that ECS sells them. Finally, yes, it all fits under a 16 in rim. I'm running them under my winter steelies right now. GL with your decision.

MarcMiller
01-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks. I bought adams rotors slotted front a8 and slotted b5 rears. Already have my TT carriers. Only thing i need now are my pads.

I want something that is good but doesnt make a lot of dust. I was thinking hawk hps.

Seerlah
01-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Hawk pads leave a fair amount of dust, but the bite is well worth it. I upgraded my pads from Mintex Red Box pads to Hawk HPS pads, and there is a noticeable difference. Granted I did the HPS to the front when I installed my TT/A8 kit, but yeah. And there is absolutely nothing wrong wirh buying pads from ebay. That's where I picked mine up from. Why pay more, when you can pay less (hmm, isn't that the Payless Shoes slogan?). For the brake dust, Amorall has this wheel protectant spray that works rather well. And since you are doing an upgrade this entailed, why stop at where you are? Add SS lines, quality fluid, and just get the whole thing over in one shot.

FNK
01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/woojo/P3201105.jpg

My only concern from doing this is Rocks and the thigh clearance... the perfect recipe for horror stories?

walky_talky20
01-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't think that's anything to worry about. The gap isn't that much smaller than the regular A4 brakes with 15's.

MarcMiller
01-03-2012, 07:04 PM
As long as my 16inch sport wheels clear i'll be happy.